Parkland, FL High School Shooting

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

I don't know,  maybe for people to use them for hunting like a majority do...

But earlier you said this Stumpy:

You don't need a high-capacity magazine for hunting.  I have stated that before in this very thread.   I would say 90% of people that buy ARs use them at a shooting range or just to go out in the country and fire off a few rounds.  They are actually fun to shoot.   I do not know anyone that uses them to hunt with exclusively but will use one to take a shot at a coyote or coon if the time arises.

9 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I do enjoy all the fact based links that some very knowledgeable people post here, but i really don't think every single thing that's said can be proven 100% true ,or false, with facts. If that were the case there would be no need for message boards, someone would just post "the facts" and there would be no need for any more discussion. 

Many things discussed here are based on opinion, (especially politics and Religion) and i enjoy that kind of exchange of  too. 

I think properly presented facts and opinions can coexist on this board, and in "real life" also. lol 

You're right, and I didn't mean to imply that every single point made in these threads is supported by incontrovertible fact. 

What I meant was, the better posters here (who include many people I disagree with) allow their opinions to be formed by facts, they don't find facts or "facts" to support their opinion.  I've seen several people, myself included, who have changed their stance on subjects here because their opinion was shown to be unsupported by facts. 

• Plus1 4
9 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Any thoughts on this?

1111111111.jpg

My first thought is that arming teachers is a knee-jerk reaction that's going to be a terribly ineffective idea. My second thought is that this doesn't address mass shootings like Las Vegas, the churches, etc., so even if teachers were all expert shooters, it still doesn't address the larger problem.

• Plus1 2

Some ideas I've heard thrown around and they have various degrees of merit:

1. Hire former military personal already well trained and who wouldn't freeze in the situation

2. Ditto - former policemen or off duty rotation of active police.  We have off duty policemen who come to our church services and their cars are very visible.  Gives peace of mind.

3. School police - make it a staff position like any other.  We have some large districts that have their own police force.  I don't know how many, if it is at every school.

4. Someone I heard said - divert either (1) Infrastructure funds or (2) Border wall funds towards 'hardening' the schools.  Secure entrances, fencing, etc.   With the # of schools, this would

be a massive undertaking.  It would have to include colleges as well.  This, I think would turn schools into prisons - with the good guys inside and the bad ones outside. 

5. Increase existing police staff -  station a police man at each school.  Note: note a Barney Fife guy like the one who froze.

6. Arm teachers/staff as noted previously.  I'm more for the idea of having well trained former police or military being the armed guys.  I could only imagine being killed by friendly fire

if many teachers are armed.  The teacher's minds should be on education and not always thinking about threats, etc.

7.  Address the mental health aspect of this. Most if not all of school shooters were crying out before hand.  We can't just throw drugs at them which in many cases makes them even more messed up.  

8.  Raise age for gun ownership.

9.  Revisit gun laws 

10. Look at it as a cultural issue - we glamorize violence in movies, games, etc - what affect is that having on those who have mental issues?

Edited by TGHusker

I think the key problem here is that you have semi-automatic weaponry outside of the handgun space that shouldn't be in untrained civilian hands, and has very little to no purpose outside of killing another living being. And while there are exceptions (e.g. you live out in BFE and have to fight of Grizzly Bears, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, and ManBearPig to get to go in/out of your house every day), 99% of the owners aren't in that situation and own these weapons primarily because they're fun to shoot and because it's their way of being anti-establishment. 

And to those folks, I say that's fine--I know firsthand that they're fun to shoot, but there's no reason to store them at a home. Let's adopt the gun club setup used elsewhere, and you pay a membership fee to your local range, who then stores and checks in/out your weapon. This way, there's another check/balance to this system.

If someone wants to buy a semi-automatic rifle--fine. Purchase it, and it's sent to the gun club you're a member of after your background check clears. 

If you're a dealer? Great, there will be specific licenses dealers can procure for semi-automatic weaponry (outside of handguns) that also require annual certification, insurance for theft/liability, and the license includes access to the same background check system. 

And yes, there's going to be people pointing out that there are exceptions, like certain semi-automatic handgun variants that do similar damage to a semi-automatic rifle to try and derail some sort of regulation change. We shouldn't be managing to the 10-15% exceptions--rather, we should be managing to the 85-90% that this would cover, and then come in after and manage the exceptions ad hoc. 

Again, the Second Amendment calls for a well-regulated militia. There's nothing well-regulated about some asshat being able to stroll up to his Wal-Mart and able to walk out with a rifle and ammo in less than 60 minutes. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Again, the Second Amendment calls for a well-regulated militia. There's nothing well-regulated about some asshat being able to stroll up to his Wal-Mart and able to walk out with a rifle and ammo in less than 60 minutes. 

Amen. This is the part of the 2nd Amendment that gets overlooked, or watered down by gun companies looking to make a buck or gun nutters looking to play toy soldier. 

• Plus1 3
14 hours ago, NM11046 said:

So Stumpy, why would a hunter need to have a high capacity magazine and etc?  

I assume that those who advocate for guns for "protection" are talking hand guns, so why would this sort of gun serve a purpose other than mass harm?

I had the same thoughts in regard to both high capacity magazines as well as semi automatic. What possible need is there for either thing beyond the obvious that the bad guys have it and so should the good guys? Then I saw an article about someone in one of the more southern states that uses his AR to hunt feral hogs on his property. Makes total sense and its something I would have never thought of. There are reasons out there.