Which position group makes the biggest jump next year?

ADS

1 hour ago, HANC said:

I really think it is the offensive line.  I know that not many new faces, but they will develop the talent that is here.  2 years ago, we had a fantastic offensive line class.  Time for them to show up.  I think this staff will actually reap the benefits of the prior staffs recruiting at this position.

2017 class wasn't bad either as I thought we snagged some solid guys even if they weren't as highly rated 

QB - Low/Medium improvement - hopefully far fewer turnovers and added mobility, but there will be growing pains with a young guy

RB - High improvement - added talent/depth/competition, a scheme that's above pee-wee level

WR - Medium improvement - Spielman can't improve a lot over last year, Morgan can improve his catch percentage, but the depth will be a huge improvement

OL - High improvement - coaching, attitude, scheme, fitness, accountability, rotation... this is likely the biggest area of improvement this year

TE - Low improvement - this one is hard to judge with the scheme change, Hoppes was decent last year, but there are several guys here that can make noise

DL - Medium improvement - was solid at times last year with what they were asked to do, I think we're going to see them allowed to use their athletic ability this year

LB - Medium improvement - there is some talent here and if they are used properly and get put in a scheme they understand... look out

CB - Medium improvement - the depth here is still concerning, though not as much as last year - I think scheme alone helps these guys take a step forward

S - High improvement - we might actually have some safeties that can tackle this year! - depth is also much better

K - Medium Dropoff - Drew Brown was solid - Pickering will probably be decent, but he'll be a true freshman

P - No/Low Improvement - Lightborne was much better last year as a sophomore than the previous year, I think he'll be solid again

KR - Medium Improvement - We showed a little life here last year compared to previous years, I expect that to get even better now

PR - High Improvement - First off, we'll probably force teams to punt this year... that would help, and we might actually try returning it instead of endless fair catches

• Plus1 4

Coaching staff

Running backs

O Line

Quarterbacks

Linebackers

D Backs

D Line

Special teams, especially punt return

Receivers

In this order with every group improving greatly. It'll be like a totally different team imo. Seriously.

Edited by Comfortably Numb

13 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

It goes against reason based on the fact that he was pretty good last year, but I think Speilman will be the guy every body is in awe of next year due to his productivity, so he could be the most "improved " player.  I just see him blowing up next season. 

Maybe, but the way Frost's offense spreads the ball around, I'd be a little surprised if his receiving numbers are much higher.

This offense will likely be able to run the ball, and hopefully we aren't playing catch up in every game, so we won't be throwing every down in the second half.

I would guess Spielman puts up similar receiving numbers as last year, but also has a fair amount of rushing yards as well.

5 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Maybe, but the way Frost's offense spreads the ball around, I'd be a little surprised if his receiving numbers are much higher.

This offense will likely be able to run the ball, and hopefully we aren't playing catch up in every game, so we won't be throwing every down in the second half.

I would guess Spielman puts up similar receiving numbers as last year, but also has a fair amount of rushing yards as well.

The TD number is the one that will change.

It would be magical to see vast improvemnt in the O line but I expect the least improvement there sadly.  I expect the biggest improvement to be on defense generally and in the return game on special teams.   I would expect punting to jump atleast as much as it did last year from the year before as he will be even more consistant and should add another 3 or 4 yards to the distance and a little more hang time.   Replacement of Diaco is the single biggest reason the defense gets much better faster in my view.   He was disorganized chaos.

It is hard to expect improvement in place kicking as Brown as dam good so a drop off there would not be a surprise.  The QB play will be a wild card of course.  It would not be a surprise if the offense struggles this fall, especially in the first half the season due to growing pains and too many 'misfits' in the line up.  Time will help on this and you may see rather remarkable improvement during the seasons from start to finish in the offense generally.   We need to really jump on defense if we are to have a good year though.   I believe 8 wins is quite

doable and if we can muster a couple close wins early, the confidence will grow noticeably.   But, there is MUCH work to be done and it won't be easy.   The players are going to have to work harder than they have ever in their lives if they want to win 2/3rds of their games and begin resurrection of Husker power.