Frost & the Auburn Bowl Game

How much did you confidence increase when UCF beat Auburn? I was against the game because I wanted Frost and his staff 100% dedicated to the Huskers. After UCF beat Aubrn, my confidence in Frost more than doubled. Frost was undefeated, but all he did was beat up on AAC opponents. Beating a top 10, P5 team in the bowl, a team that defeated both teams in the MNC game. proved to me that Frost and his staff are elite. Now I am happy Frost coached the bowl game. I will not get anxious if things do not go our way, because I have full confidence in this staff. Without the bowl victory, there was some doubt.

• Plus1 3

Confidence was high going into the game.  I saw it as a good recruiting ad for NU so I was all for it.  The results just made it all the more clear that we got the right coach at the right time for so many reasons.  His whole staff showed what loyalty means - to players. to program and a school, and to each other.  They kept their word/commitment to these players and that will pay dividends for us in recruiting battles down the road.  It was a win/win for everyone except Auburn!

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

How much did you confidence increase when UCF beat Auburn? I was against the game because I wanted Frost and his staff 100% dedicated to the Huskers. After UCF beat Aubrn, my confidence in Frost more than doubled. Frost was undefeated, but all he did was beat up on AAC opponents. Beating a top 10, P5 team in the bowl, a team that defeated both teams in the MNC game. proved to me that Frost and his staff are elite. Now I am happy Frost coached the bowl game. I will not get anxious if things do not go our way, because I have full confidence in this staff. Without the bowl victory, there was some doubt.

I was extremely confident in Frost before the game. I really thought Auburn would probably win by 2 scores, just because I figured they had the better overall players. The fact that UCF not only beat Auburn but manhandled them, just gave me greater confidence that this is going to turn out to be a GRAND SLAM hire.

• Plus1 3

Last season's Auburn team posted the third-best overall stats in FBS (by my method of tracking z-scores using just regular season conference games).  You're damn right that was a meaningful win even if some prefer to apply the cliched "didn't want to be there" statement to the Tigers.  I'm sure there's something to be said about strength of schedule, too, but we're talking about an American Athletic Conference team so...

47 minutes ago, beorach said:

I'm sure there's something to be said about strength of schedule, too, but we're talking about an American Athletic Conference team so...

There is, but much of what is said is incorrect. SOS is a filter, it's not a metric. We should not measure teams on SOS but rather use it to put the things we can measure into context.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

There is no way one game could double my confidence in someone.  I was high on him going into the game, and win or lose that game, I would still have believed100% that he is the right guy for NU.

In fact I expected them lose a close one due to dual responsibilities, UCF player doubts and focus, and the fact that Auburn is a powerhouse.  

I was more anxious about the unreal expectations of others, such as "Oh he better win or he is not that good."  Well, he did win.  And yes, he is that good.  It is his attitude and willingness to work that serves him so well, as well as those who work with him.

3 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

There is no way one game could double my confidence in someone.  I was high on him going into the game, and win or lose that game, I would still have believed100% that he is the right guy for NU.

In fact I expected them lose a close one due to dual responsibilities, UCF player doubts and focus, and the fact that Auburn is a powerhouse.  

I was more anxious about the unreal expectations of others, such as "Oh he better win or he is not that good."  Well, he did win.  And yes, he is that good.  It is his attitude and willingness to work that serves him so well, as well as those who work with him.

Lol wtf. Wait, you actually know people that said he better beat Auburn, under those circumstances, or he’s not that good? Lmfao.

I guess my confidence in Frost prior to the bowl game was very high. I knew he was right for Nebraska. But yeah, I thought Auburn might out prestige and out talent UCF a bit. I felt Frost and UCF would keep it respectable and maybe pull off the upset. So when they won my confidence ticked up a few more notches. I never felt Frost shouldn’t have coached that bowl game. He gave those players his word and did the right thing, win or lose. That is uncommon these days but I never perceived any downside to it. Worst case, the bowl game would provide some exposure and positive notoriety for our flailing Huskers. Happily the outcome was a best case scenario.

I was not thrilled with Frost bringing the D.C. but I was impressed with what I saw from that game. After watching years of just bad tackling, I loved the way their guys hit. Not perfect but a massive upgrade from the previous NU regime. 

My question about Frost was could he recruit. I'm amazed at what he's done in a limited time. It's the first time in a long time that I'm excited about NU football. 

He did what NU has had a VERY hard thing doing the past 20 years. Beat a team that is "superior" in every phase of the game.......All he did, was add another check mark to the "right guy for the job" list.  It showed what competent staff with competent (well taught) kids can do when they all share the same vision.  

It might take a few years for the transformation, but it will be evident when rebuild is complete.  

• Plus1 2