Frost & the Auburn Bowl Game

I liked that he and the staff were coaching the game because it showed they were stand-up guys willing to sacrifice to do right by their players. Those kids busted their asses, they deserved the chance to finish undefeated. That wasn't happening being coached by a skeleton-crew with their eyes on the door. 

As far as the game itself went it did make me more confident. By finishing undefeated Frost was elevated into rarified air. There are hyped G5 coaches every year, but only Peterson, Patterson, and Urban managed to run the board, and they all proved themselves at the P5 level. Plus I was relieved by the defensive performance. After a couple rough outings they really stepped-it-up. They largely stopped a replenished Kerryon Johnson and limited a top-notch P5 offense to 27 while scoring 7 themselves. That day we looked like the better-coached team on both sides of the ball. 

Edited by Danimal
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, brophog said:

There is, but much of what is said is incorrect. SOS is a filter, it's not a metric. We should not measure teams on SOS but rather use it to put the things we can measure into context.

That's true.  What I was getting at was whether Auburn's great stats were helped at all by their schedule.  Considering they played Clemson out of conference, I guess that helps balance out the fact they played Georgia Southern, Louisiana-Monroe, and Mercer.  With that explained, though, I think the stats I was looking at were only ones from conference games.  I do that to try and minimize the effect of SOS.  How well is a team doing against their peers? 

p.s. - All in all, it still just means that Auburn posted better stats than others did in going through their conference schedule.  Other teams didn't make so much hay doing the same but does that mean the $EC is the best conference, because they had some teams that dominated and didn't slip up with their OOC slate?  That's what college football gets wrong, in my opinion.  Only more games between teams from difference conferences will improve things where the national title is concerned.

Edited by beorach
On 2/16/2018 at 3:04 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

How much did you confidence increase when UCF beat Auburn? I was against the game because I wanted Frost and his staff 100% dedicated to the Huskers. After UCF beat Aubrn, my confidence in Frost more than doubled. Frost was undefeated, but all he did was beat up on AAC opponents. Beating a top 10, P5 team in the bowl, a team that defeated both teams in the MNC game. proved to me that Frost and his staff are elite. Now I am happy Frost coached the bowl game. I will not get anxious if things do not go our way, because I have full confidence in this staff. Without the bowl victory, there was some doubt.

To people like me in there mid 30's Frost was a hero of mine as a child. As far as confidence: UCF was the real national champs, that is all.

• Plus1 1