The WTH was I thinking chronicles

Not sure, because I don't know how the dumb decisions of my past have positively influenced me. So I'll just list a dumb thing.

As a last minute decision, I went to a private university in Iowa as a really immature 18 year old. I failed all of my 2nd semester classes because I didn't want to attend them. I ended up having to attend community college classes just to get my GPA high enough to go to UNL (although that turned out okay 'cause community college classes are much cheaper and can transfer). I'm not going to admit how long it took me to pay back the student loan for that year.

Maybe not the most serious mistake but the day I decided to bring home a wild stray border collie that had been hanging around a construction site. Pretty sure that dog had been on its own it’s entire life. Figured I was doing it a favor by trying to provide food, shelter, a home.... Oh so wrong. It could not and would not be tamed. I won’t even begin to recount all the things it destroyed. When I would pull into the driveway after work, it would literally jump on top of my car and came in through my open window once. Wild thing. The funny part is when I’d finally had enough and decided it was time to take it to the humane society, that damn dog was perfectly behaved, healed properly on the leash and sat perfectly as I was explaining to them it was a stray and not my dog. It had never prior showed one inkling of being capable of any acceptable behavior. Of course they looked at me like I was a terrible person abandoning my dog that way....

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Maybe not the most serious mistake but the day I decided to bring home a wild stray border collie that had been hanging around a construction site. Pretty sure that dog had been on its own it’s entire life. Figured I was doing it a favor by trying to provide food, shelter, a home.... Oh so wrong. It could not and would not be tamed. I won’t even begin to recount all the things it destroyed. When I would pull into the driveway after work, it would literally jump on top of my car and came in through my open window once. Wild thing. The funny part is when I’d finally had enough and decided it was time to take it to the humane society, that damn dog was perfectly behaved, healed properly on the leash and sat perfectly as I was explaining to them it was a stray and not my dog. It had never prior showed one inkling of being capable of any acceptable behavior. Of course they looked at me like I was a terrible person abandoning my dog that way....

That reminds me of my cats. They didn't get along at all for the 8 years they lived together. They fought all the time. I won't go into detail but I had to take 1 of them to live at a farm, and on the day I had to take her, they both cuddled up to each other and nuzzled each other's heads and licked each other.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

About 2 weeks ago,  I got off work and stopped at the booze store.  I got to bulls#!ttin' with the clerk and didn't realize till I got home that I grabbed a 30 of Busch Heavy instead of Busch Lite.   It was a horrible few days to say the least. 

We have a winner. Just exactly what in the hell were you thinking? Unbelievable...

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

About 2 weeks ago,  I got off work and stopped at the booze store.  I got to bulls#!ttin' with the clerk and didn't realize till I got home that I grabbed a 30 of Busch Heavy instead of Busch Lite.   It was a horrible few days to say the least. 

Guessing Rosey was working?  I'm betting he would let ya swap it.

Edited by Redux
17 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Something tells me there is either a very interesting or extremely scary story hidden here.

Year after I graduated, was living in Lincoln, came back home for the weekend to party with my buddy.  He had borrowed his brothers Dodge pickup so we started booze cruising at noon in style.  By that evening we were sloshed and started inviting people out to my farm for a party.  Classmate shows up with his Raptor in the back of his truck, the ones that would easily do 90mph and were top dog back in 2005.  My buddy tells him leave it on the truck, he didn't.  Bout midnight I jump on it and take off down the gravel road.  I made it roughly 60 yards before apparantely seeing something shiny in the ditch and took a hard left.

Next thing I knew I woke up for a second in a field.  Blacked back out.  Woke up as I was crawling towards ditch and tumbled through the barbed wire fence.  Woke up yet again laying in ditch.  Got up onto road holding my mouth.  Missing teeth, some sideways.  Jaw in incredible pain.  Lip split into 4 lips.  Buddy and some others come running up, he says to me "You okay?"  I move my hand and respond "Do I @#$%&*## look okay?".  Somehow I have the wherewithal to tell him to go tell my Mom what happened, tell another to get everyone out of there and the third....to get me to the hospital.  He had a camaro, we made it in record time.  I tried wandering in the ambulance dock, he had to help me find actual emergency entrance.

My Mom shows up with my Uncle.  Show them the damage after cursing the doctor poking my jaw, it's broken.  My sympathetic Uncle offers me popcorn, I decline.  Ambulance ride to Lincoln, already hooked up to good stuff so went from drunk to drugged.  This whole thing is somewhat a blur.  Go in for surgery quickly, I think?  I remember jolting awake at one point and half freaking out, but quickly being put back under.  Wake up again to a nurse telling me my blood pressure is too high, I either need to pee or get cathed.  I opt for the bedpan....but can't seem to pee due to the audience and drugs and laying down etc.  So the gentle woman RAMS this thing down my pee hole in hands down the most painful part of this entire incident.

Family and friends come visit my dumbass as I'm morphined up something fierce but super glad they fixed my teeth and mouth.  In the end I got my mouth cosmetically put back together, metal plates in my jaw, was missing two teeth and several scars from I'm guessing the barb wire fence I flew through after smashing my face on the handlebars.  Dental work is expensive.  I have only actually had a full mouth of teeth again for a little over a year.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 5