Russia

39 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Or Sessions is protecting Trump and team by having this report will conclude Trump and team weren't involved and/or little to no interference.

Right, much like Trump's voter fraud task force was looking for confirmation of voter fraud (but couldn't find any).

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...

These revelations come amid news that the FBI is investigating whether Torshin, the deputy governor of the Bank of Russia, illegally funneled money to the National Rifle Association to assist the Trump campaign in 2016, McClatchy reported in January.

I have a funny feeling Citizens United makes it easier to hide where campaign donations are coming from, which makes it much easier for foreign governments to help fund our campaigns. An individual can give $ to any corporation/group/whatever, and hide behind that group's name.

• Plus1 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/01/vladimir-putin-threatens-arms-race-with-new-missiles-announcement

Putin highlighted a test of Russia’s RS-28 Sarmat missile. According to state media, the intercontinental ballistic missile is able to fly 6,800 miles with a payload of 15 warheads, though the actual capabilities of the missile have not been shown. The Russian defence ministry said it had conducted a successful test launch in October, during which the missile had travelled 3,600 miles before hitting a target area in Russia’s far east.

I believe this is the nuclear-powered nuclear missile that is able to stay in orbit for long stretches of time. So if there is a nuclear war, and something comes out unscathed on our side, this missile will be able to target and destroy it days later. 

He also spoke about the RS-26 ballistic missile, Avangard, which Putin said “heads towards its target like a meteorite”. The missile has already raised concerns in the US about its compliance with global arms treaties.

Another article said the missile can go up to MACH 20 (20x the speed of sound) by the time it impacts with its target--the impact alone would be devastating enough on its own, but add in a nuclear payload...?

US officials say American missile defence systems are not aimed at Moscow, but are instead designed to defend against threats from Iran, North Korea and other potential adversaries.

Okay...that's great, but...

Russia has been aggressively marketing its latest military technology. Its first stealth fighter, the Su-57, was deployed to Syria for combat testing last week. Analysts said the jet’s capabilities were still not clear, and that the deployment could be designed to show the Su-57 programme was moving forward despite time and cost overruns.

And Russia has been linked to arming those aforementioned 'potential adversaries' for some time. 

---

In short, as much as no one wants to admit it, we're in another cold war. This one's already tilting the way of Russia, especially considering his bought and paid for whore is residing in the White House.  

So, let me get this straight. 

I remember years ago the US claiming we were going to develop a nuclear defense shield that was based on satellites so that satellites could shoot down nuclear missiles.  Russia went absolutely ape s#!t and fought against us doing it.  We ultimately didn't do it.

NOW....they have developed an actual missile that basically orbits like a satellite that can attack us at any time and we have no defense against it.

Nice.  

And our dear leader thinks Putin is his best friend.

Edited by BigRedBuster
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

NOW....they have developed an actual missile that basically orbits like a satellite that can attack us at any time and we have no defense against it.

They claim we can't do anything about it.  They also used to claim that they had all these fancy-schmancy missiles ready to destroy America, but when Gorbachev allowed inspectors in, many of those missiles turned out to be duds, fakes, or inoperable because Russia's economy had been so bad for so long they couldn't maintain them.

I have no doubt Putin has a few missiles that would pose some problems for America.  I also have no doubt we are fully aware of those missiles and their capabilities thanks to our spies, and we've got a defense planned, if not fully implemented, already.  There's very little they're doing that we don't know about, and vice versa. 

The question is, why on a random Thursday would Putin announce something like this, something almost akin to a declaration of war, when he's been going on and on about how America & Russia should be friends for the past year?  What's he hoping to accomplish by pulling back the hand held out in friendship and replacing it with a pistol pointed at our head? 

• Plus1 1

Segue here but the mention of spies reminds me of something I've been thinking about for awhile. We heard of foreign spies when we invaded Iraq, and I'd think a spy in Russia would probably be Russian or Russian-American.

When you have a president using the kind of rhetoric Trump uses, I can't think that's good for building relationships with potential spies. I remember hearing of one of the Iraqis not being allowed here after helping us. Not sure what ended up happening with him.

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They claim we can't do anything about it.  They also used to claim that they had all these fancy-schmancy missiles ready to destroy America, but when Gorbachev allowed inspectors in, many of those missiles turned out to be duds, fakes, or inoperable because Russia's economy had been so bad for so long they couldn't maintain them.

I have no doubt Putin has a few missiles that would pose some problems for America.  I also have no doubt we are fully aware of those missiles and their capabilities thanks to our spies, and we've got a defense planned, if not fully implemented, already.  There's very little they're doing that we don't know about, and vice versa. 

The question is, why on a random Thursday would Putin announce something like this, something almost akin to a declaration of war, when he's been going on and on about how America & Russia should be friends for the past year?  What's he hoping to accomplish by pulling back the hand held out in friendship and replacing it with a pistol pointed at our head? 

Hmmmm, distancing himself from Donnie perhaps? 

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Maybe he's preparing to invade another former Soviet state.

22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe he's preparing to invade another former Soviet state.

The presentation was moved from the Kremlin to a more public area that allowed for a full-fledged A/V display I think to avoid thoughts that this was/is just Trumped-up bulls*** on the part of Russia again. It was a presentation that was decidedly anti-NATO, and it was apparent from the various articles I read that the threats were directed at NATO. 

I don't think he'd nuke a former Russian satellite Republic, but he would go after a NATO member to prove a point. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...