Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

Not sure if this has been posted.  Just another cool thing this staff is doing to relate to kids and increase their chance of success.

Greg Austin & Animated Playbooks

"One of the things that we did do at UCF, and it was a project that we underwent last year, was changing our playbook around. Making it a movement playbook. Most playbooks there are lines going everywhere especially with the offensive line. Now, our playbook is on PowerPoint, now so it’s all animations. Guys can see whatever position they are playing move. In today’s age, it’s all about video games, gaming, etc. It was a big deal for us. That allowed us as a unit to learn the playbook even better and more efficiently. So just stuff like that where you can coach yourself and see where you can get better.”

In my mind, Austin’s desire to find out what makes his guys tick and how they learn speaks to a larger point. This staff is curious and comfortable enough to try new things and savvy enough to implement them once they are identified.  Austin says the animated playbook is something brand new to the Husker players that they had never seen before. He elaborated further on the reasoning behind it.

“It’s another teaching tool for you as a coach. You still have your playbook and that’s never going to go anywhere," Austin said. "Now, you have a supplemental device. Maybe this kid learns better by seeing it and seeing the little creatures move, maybe one kid is more of a film learner, maybe one kid needs to see it and step through it. There are so many ways of learning and educating, you have to explore all the ways and find out which way is best for each kid."

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

The more I hear Held talk, the more I'm sure Ozigbo will basically never see the field.

Not that I think he should have really been on the field the last two years.  But especially in this offense.

Yea, he's probably done in terms of impact, unless injuries start taking their toll.