Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

No, Ozigbo was the starter for the first half 16 and continually got more carries than Newby despite Newby out-ypc-ing him in every game.

I know I've made it known my feelings on a certain player who's name rhymes with ruby but I think a lot of people miss the fact that play calling changed when each back was is.  It's harder to have a higher ypc if most of the times you get the ball everyone knows you are getting the ball.   I also noticed that it seemed any time ozigbo got on a roll they seemed to yank him like "oh, if he's doing well one of these other guys will do better."  I guess my real problem is with the coaches and play calling and not the backs.  I don't think the coaches did them any favors 

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

You have to think they promised immediate playing time during his recruitment, and that's why he ended up here.

He confirmed that in an interview.  I believe he said somethinglike “I was supposed to be a three and out,” meaning no redshirt and nfl draft as a junior.

8 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I know I've made it known my feelings on a certain player who's name rhymes with ruby but I think a lot of people miss the fact that play calling changed when each back was is.  It's harder to have a higher ypc if most of the times you get the ball everyone knows you are getting the ball.   I also noticed that it seemed any time ozigbo got on a roll they seemed to yank him like "oh, if he's doing well one of these other guys will do better."  I guess my real problem is with the coaches and play calling and not the backs.  I don't think the coaches did them any favors 

This hints at what could be considered one of the largest failings of the previous era - a somewhat tumultuous offensive identity. It also was fairly easy to pick up on what kind of plays they were going to run when certain backs were in the game.

A lot of it is on the coaches putting players in the best position to succeed. I just sincerely hope there's someone on the current roster that can be an obvious difference maker in 2018 and find a way to stay healthy.

• Plus1 1

Here's the thing when we're talking running back production in terms of an external variable; playcalling, line play, that sort of thing.

Whats the production when the play goes correct? What are our backs doing when they beat the second level and have an opportunity to really break one? Can they beat the safety? Can they out run the pursuit?

I've been right there in criticizing the line play, and especially the play design/calls. But time after time, that question above is in the negative for this group of backs. Even on a team like Wisconsin, which has a firm identity and quality line play, there's a major distinction between their backs. That's the norm across all of football: the primary difference in running backs is who can make a play when given an opportunity. 

The line play will make big improvements in this offense, and I think Frost is a tremendous play caller, but IMO, the biggest change in production will come by changing personnel.

Man...it's going to suck once Spring football is done.  Nebraska baseball appears to a vacuous black hole when it comes to offense and my beloved Mariners are essentially a slow pitch softball rotation after the top couple guys.  It's going to be a long summer...might be time to dust off the golf clubs. 

• Plus1 3

19 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Man...it's going to suck once Spring football is done.  Nebraska baseball appears to a vacuous black hole when it comes to offense and my beloved Mariners are essentially a slow pitch softball rotation after the top couple guys.  It's going to be a long summer...might be time to dust off the golf clubs. 

Now that football and basketball have been dealt with, maybe Moos will begin to move on the baseball team. 

On 3/28/2018 at 8:18 AM, Enhance said:

This hints at what could be considered one of the largest failings of the previous era - a somewhat tumultuous offensive identity. It also was fairly easy to pick up on what kind of plays they were going to run when certain backs were in the game.

A lot of it is on the coaches putting players in the best position to succeed. I just sincerely hope there's someone on the current roster that can be an obvious difference maker in 2018 and find a way to stay healthy.

Riley and his O coordinator had no imagination or unique play calling......the more i lament his being here, the more i am sooooo glad he is gone.

• Plus1 1
On 3/28/2018 at 8:18 AM, Enhance said:

i think you will see a lot of different RB's carry the ball.........Bell should be a pretty solid kid.