How do you scrape ice off a vehicle?

How do you scrape ice off a vehicle?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had a 2008 Chevy Silverado that had heated windshield fluid. It was awesome!! But they had recall on them due to fires starting so had to get it unhooked. Im surprised they havent figured out a way to do it again without the fire hazard. It was great watching people scrape while my windshield steamed and the ice melted away.

On 2/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

Do they not have De-icer spray where you're from?

This is all I do. The side windows are the only ones i may scrape if it's thick ice. If it's frost, I just roll the windows down and back up to scrape enough off that I can see. I'm lazy...

On 2/24/2018 at 2:06 PM, huKSer said:

Enter vehicle

Turn on vehicle

Push garage door opener

Exit garage

Push garage door opener again to close said door

If I'm being totally honest, this is what I do.  I have garages everywhere I go anymore. I haven't scraped a windshield in years. 

Owning a home has 1,000 problems. But scraping ice off your windshield isn't one of them.

Those first few nights when you don't have someone just on the other side of the wall listening to loud TV or arguing or kids crying and you have silence rather than someone else being in control of the noise level you deal with... that's bliss.

Although many times lately I've wondered if it wouldn't be better to just have a condo or a town home that some maintenance guy/landlord has to repair.  The capital outlay I've incurred over just the past two years has been a little frightening.

But I don't have to scrape my car windows so... small blessings?

If I am home and the work van has a thick coating of hard ice (not frost), I fill a big pitcher with lukewarm water (not hot) and pour it over the windshield.  I do it on side glass and mirrors as well.  I've been told by several that it will crack the windshield but it hasn't for me and I've done it hundreds of times.  For frost and if I'm in a hurry I use de-icer.  Otherwise I just start it and let it warm up.

11 hours ago, knapplc said:

If I'm being totally honest, this is what I do.  I have garages everywhere I go anymore. I haven't scraped a windshield in years. 

Owning a home has 1,000 problems. But scraping ice off your windshield isn't one of them.

We bought a house in October and this one of the things I was pretty excited for. I still have to clean the walks and the driveway but now I don't have to dig out the cars and scrape all the ice off. What's funny is that none of my neighbors park in their garages.