Unpopular Opinion

On 4/20/2018 at 11:52 AM, Moiraine said:

I don't like Prince's music.

Prince is like any other musician/band he has good songs and bad songs.  All of the Beatles songs are not great either.  On XM Radio the lithium channel they play a lot of Nirvana that really isn't that good.  Just because the station is named after one of your songs and you had some good music doesn't mean everything you did was great.  Every band/musician produces some stuff that is just not that good.  

... and yes Prince was a great guitar player.  

9 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Prince is like any other musician/band he has good songs and bad songs.  All of the Beatles songs are not great either.  On XM Radio the lithium channel they play a lot of Nirvana that really isn't that good.  Just because the station is named after one of your songs and you had some good music doesn't mean everything you did was great.  Every band/musician produces some stuff that is just not that good.  

... and yes Prince was a great guitar player.  

I don't like Nirvana either. I appreciate what they did for music (E.g. got us away from hair metal) and I appreciate that they did some original stuff, but I've just never liked it. It's way better than any pop music so I'll give it that. I think they're just really overrated. I preferred Pearl Jam, R.E.M, Smashing Pumpkins (during that time period).

And not liking Prince's music doesn't mean I don't realize he's talented. Admittedly I haven't heard a lot of Prince. Just everything that gets played on the radio.

As for The Beatles, I probably like/love 90% of their songs.

23 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't like Nirvana either. I appreciate what they did for music (E.g. got us away from hair metal) and I appreciate that they did some original stuff, but I've just never liked it. It's way better than any pop music so I'll give it that. I think they're just really overrated. I preferred Pearl Jam, R.E.M, Smashing Pumpkins (during that time period).

And not liking Prince's music doesn't mean I don't realize he's talented. Admittedly I haven't heard a lot of Prince. Just everything that gets played on the radio.

As for The Beatles, I probably like/love 90% of their songs.

I don't have a problem with you not liking Prince, or Nirvana for that matter. Everyone has different tastes in music.  I also get that you can not like some music and realize the person or act is talented.  It always bugs me when someone says that so and so sucks.  Well just because you don't like them doesn't mean they suck.  Contrary to what a lot say Nickelback is not the worst band ever, and they don't suck.  The fact that they sold out shows for years shows that someone likes them.  

My whole point really wasn't directed at you it more at the guys that couldn't believe you don't like Prince and how not everything that a great band or artist puts out is great.  Not a Smashing Pumpkin fan at all.  Billy Corgan is a self righteous wanker.  Almost all of their stuff sounds the same, and I don't care for that sound,  except for the 1 song of theirs that I like, 1979.   Of the era my faves are STP, and Soundgarden.   Pearl Jam has a lot of good stuff, but Eddie Vedder is even more of a wanker than Billy.  REM's first 4-5 albums are really good, the last one that was good was Life's Rich Pageant and it came out in 1986 or 87 I believe IMO.

• Plus1 1

Prince was super talented and an amazing musician. You don't have to like his music to appreciate that.

The Beatles were great, and a lot of their songs were great, but sometimes they're overrated because they're The Beatles. I totally get that point. 

I think you have to be in the mood for Prince's music. And he has different iterations, from Controversy to 1999 to Purple Rain to Parade.  He was an artist way before his time in almost everything he did.  I was a huge fan, he lost me, and I was a huge fan again several times in his career.  Batman was at once the best thing he ever did, a lampoon on modern music, and a freaking travesty.  I was shocked by Prince, loved his music and hated his music depending on the day.  That's the sign of a true artist, I think.

5 hours ago, NUinID said:

Not a Smashing Pumpkin fan at all.  Billy Corgan is a self righteous wanker.  Almost all of their stuff sounds the same, and I don't care for that sound,  except for the 1 song of theirs that I like, 1979.   

That's so funny.  :D I love Smashing Pumpkins, especially Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, but 1979 is probably my least favorite song on that album.  Way too pop for me.  But Zero & Bullet with Butterfly Wings kick my ass to this day.

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I like the Pumpkins but they do not put on a great live show...or at least the one I saw was lame.  They didn't play their big hits, lots of "B-sides" and lots of long ass instrumentals.  

That's because Billy Corgan is a self righteous wanker. :D 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, NUinID said:

That's because Billy Corgan is a self righteous wanker. :D 

That was sort of the feel I got from the show...Make it easy...they have probably 10-15 pretty popular songs...play those songs, mix in a few new ones, mix in a few B-sides and one shorter instrumental...maybe a cover of a fun/popular song and get out. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I like the Pumpkins but they do not put on a great live show...or at least the one I saw was lame.  They didn't play their big hits, lots of "B-sides" and lots of long ass instrumentals.  

When did you see them? I was considering seeing them in Omaha later this year. 

14 minutes ago, Fru said:

When did you see them? I was considering seeing them in Omaha later this year. 

I saw them in Indiana, Haymarket Arena.  This was awhile ago.  I like them a lot too but man the show was just so lame.  

Garbage opened up for them and they put on a good show.