Unpopular Opinion

Goodness. No. You took an unprompted swipe at a lot of people -- including people who do really enjoy soaps, for example -- and I think that's unfair. How do you manage to still be the victim in this? Anyway.

It's great that wrestlers have athletic talent, but I'm really not a fan of how we all as a culture tend to put (particularly male) athletic prowess on a pedestal above other things, many of which happen to be interest areas more dominated by women than by men*. It's a sports board so I don't know if that's going to be a popular opinion here, but it is mine.

*For example, romance novels. I'm 100% guilty of dragging this and people interested in it, for sure. I can also name several dozen characters in several different comic book universes.

12 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Goodness. No. You took an unprompted swipe at a lot of people -- including people who do really enjoy soaps, for example -- and I think that's unfair. How do you manage to still be the victim in this? Anyway.

It's great that wrestlers have athletic talent, but I'm really not a fan of how we all as a culture tend to put (particularly male) athletic prowess on a pedestal above other things, many of which happen to be interest areas more dominated by women than by men*. It's a sports board so I don't know if that's going to be a popular opinion here, but it is mine.

*For example, romance novels. I'm 100% guilty of dragging this and people interested in it, for sure. I can also name several dozen characters in several different comic book universes.

Most things I say like you're pointing to here, are tounge in cheek.  Obviously soap actors are talented otherwise would not be employed.  Your eagerness to defend them against me is the more troubling thing.

And WWE in the last 18 months or so has really pushed the envelope concerning women and their place in the entertainment form.

13 minutes ago, GSG said:

I would say that none of them are good actors. They all essentially play the same role in every movie which is why they end up in D-level comedies and B-level action flicks where they just play themselves.

I bet you like Nic Cage in Ghost Rider too!

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is gonna get me roasted, but oh well.  That's what this thread is for.

Professional Wrestling is the male version of a soap opera, but with less-believable story lines. 

I'll also add what I assume is unpopular opinion in this crowd:

Fantasy football is dungeons & dragons for jocks.

• Plus1 3

Be not troubled, friend. It's not you, it's the general way we talk down about...say, soap, etc. Things we have no interest in. And the *contrasting* , much more nuanced and much less begrudging way we talk about other things we have no interest in, like wrestling. Like, there's obvious differences in how this goes:

"You may think wrestling is stupid but you have to admit wrestlers are really talented, not just in wrestling but also in other areas, and now let's extol all their admirable qualities in contrast to the soap actors, whom we can agree are the ones that have no talent. I mean, fine, obviously they do have some talent, but you know."

We can make the "in fairness, I really appreciate ____ for ____" case without simultaneously making a putdown that both isn't merited and which we don't even seriously mean. All I'm saying. It's unrelated to all your wrestler talk, but this is my unpopular little hill to die on here.

@RedDenver, hey, that's another good one! I mean, I think we should just accept that we're all nerds. D&D nerds. Fantasy sports nerds. Following real sports teams nerds. Wrestling nerds. Soap nerds. Anime nerds. Gun nerds? It's all good. We have our things that we're really into and they're different. The sports/war related ones are not any better than, I dunno, cartoon or comics or romance movies based ones.

I was really into fantasy for a while, but I've found life much better without it. There was a time when I could tell you the names of about 30 starting RBs in the NFL. And a good number of their backups. 

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, zoogs said:

it's the general way we talk down about...say, soap

Unpopular Opinion: Americans spend way too much of their time worrying about cleanliness.

It's not going to kill you if you don't wash your hands after you potty. That antibacterial goop you see everywhere isn't really helping.  Your body's immune system needs to be challenged.  If you get hurt, a lot of times you're going to be OK, even without a band-aid.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Unpopular Opinion: Americans spend way too much of their time worrying about cleanliness.

I agree with the soap thing.

...although I fell sick recently and could barely move for a week. And now I narrow my eyes whenever I see anyone cough. :D And carry around that antibacterial goop.

It's not going to kill you if you don't wash your hands after you potty. That antibacterial goop you see everywhere isn't really helping.  Your body's immune system needs to be challenged.  If you get hurt, a lot of times you're going to be OK, even without a band-aid.

....OK, except for the bolded. Gah, what? Wash your hands after you touch your junk guys. If not for you, for everyone around you.

Edited by zoogs

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Unless you're taking an immunomodulater like I have to.  But I'm an exception to that I suppose.  I wash my hands a lot because my immune system is basically s#!t now.  Autoimmune diseases suck, y'all.