Farmer to Center?

Stumpy1

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not gonna lie, I've been a big Farmer fan since he was in high school.  But I've struggled to find a lot of plays that really validated that.

That being said, I'm not really going to hold much of what happened the last three years against guys because of the cluster**** of an "offense" that we were running.

I have to agree with your assessment. Oline or any other position on O or D cannot be reliably assessed given the staff and system we had the past few years.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:09 AM, BigRedBuster said:

How do you know this didn’t happen under cav?

No fan of Cav’s but I see no indication that he wasn’t playing the best 5 that know the system. 

The system sucked and he sucked coaching it. 

I'd say Cav's inability to develop depth and start a one legged guy over a younger guy was his problem.  

If everything we've heard about lifting and workouts with the old staff is true, an important change even with the same starters (minus Gates) is they won't get time off from lifting as a reward and they'll know they can be bumped down the depth chart if they don't do the work. That will make them and their backups better.

6 hours ago, lo country said:

I'd say Cav's inability to develop depth and start a one legged guy over a younger guy was his problem.  

Ya, hard to develop depth when you pick your five and that's just it, that's who you are going to prep then keep in the whole game. He lost me right out of the gate when that stupidity came to light post-BYU.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Danimal said:

Ya, hard to develop depth when you pick your five and that's just it, that's who you are going to prep then keep in the whole game. He lost me right out of the gate when that stupidity came to light post-BYU.

100%.  The former staff.  SMH.  So glad it was only 3 years.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, lo country said:

100%.  The former staff.  SMH.  So glad it was only 3 years.

There is though, some credence to the idea (that others have pointed out) it was actually a GOOD thing Riley was hired.  Let's say it wouldn't have been Riley that was hired and someone else.  Let's say this someone else didn't stink it up as bad as Riley.  So instead of finishing 4-8, Nebraska finishes 8-4.  Then Frost does what he does at UCF in 2017 where he is the #1 upcoming big time coach.  Under this scenario, we completely miss the window to hire Frost.  So while yeah the Riley era completely sucked, and 2017 was an abysmal failure...it was that failure that allowed us to bring Coach Frost home.   

3 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

There is though, some credence to the idea (that others have pointed out) it was actually a GOOD thing Riley was hired.  Let's say it wouldn't have been Riley that was hired and someone else.  Let's say this someone else didn't stink it up as bad as Riley.  So instead of finishing 4-8, Nebraska finishes 8-4.  Then Frost does what he does at UCF in 2017 where he is the #1 upcoming big time coach.  Under this scenario, we completely miss the window to hire Frost.  So while yeah the Riley era completely sucked, and 2017 was an abysmal failure...it was that failure that allowed us to bring Coach Frost home.   

Dallas Cowboy fan. My fave Cowboy ever? Hershel Walker.  Trading him built the dynasty in the 90's....  Same with Riley.  Frost meets or exceeds expectations he might go down as one of the favorite NU coaches....Because his craptastic show allowed us to get Frost home.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

“Most of the time guys that can play guard for us are going to know center well enough to play it too," Frost said. "It’s just a matter of somebody getting enough reps snapping the football to be able to do it. I think there’s a number of guys that got reps this spring that should be able to give us depth at that position. Every single day before practice we have five or six guys working on snaps, and working at center. We’ll have to see where all that falls, but I think there’s a couple of guards that would be capable to move down to center if we needed.”

HOL

I don't think we would have missed out on Frost if we'd had someone who was somewhat less bad than Riley. In fact I think the decision was harder for Frost because he'd only been at UCF for 2 years. I think if he'd had his druthers he would've stayed there 4 years then come here.

A problem would have arisen if we'd had someone too much less bad than Riley who might've stayed more than 2 years longer and Frost got restless and took another P5 job. I don't think he would have taken a P5 job last season though. I always felt it was us or UCF in that moment in time.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

I keep seeing more reports that Conrad is expected to be the starting Center, that the staff really likes what they've seen from him and that a lot of the reason he struggled last year was he was never really healthy after getting hurt against Oregon.

Since I've seen that several times now, I tend to believe it.  So now I'm thinking that Farmer is being groomed as a backup in case Conrad would get hurt but the most likely starting five as of now is Jaimes-Foster-Conrad-Farmer-Farniok.  Should Conrad get hurt, I would think that would mean Farmer would slide to Center and (likely) Bo Wilson would come in at guard.

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I keep seeing more reports that Conrad is expected to be the starting Center, that the staff really likes what they've seen from him and that a lot of the reason he struggled last year was he was never really healthy after getting hurt against Oregon.

Since I've seen that several times now, I tend to believe it.  So now I'm thinking that Farmer is being groomed as a backup in case Conrad would get hurt but the most likely starting five as of now is Jaimes-Foster-Conrad-Farmer-Farniok.  Should Conrad get hurt, I would think that would mean Farmer would slide to Center and (likely) Bo Wilson would come in at guard.

I would be fine with that.

• Mavric changed the title to Farmer to Center?