Poll - Cornhuskers vs. Huskers

ajt1970

The Great Nickname Debate  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's the difference between formal and informal address for me.

When I'm introducing my boss to someone in a formal setting, It's "This is my boss, Robert Debondehaven."  But when I'm introducing him to someone in a familiar setting, it's, "This is my boss, Bob." 

Nebraska Cornhuskers is the formal name, what you should lead the article or broadcast with.  After that, Huskers is OK.

If an announcer uses "Cornhuskers" all game long it seems unnecessarily formal, as if we're not part of the club, outsiders.  It always made me feel like they were talking about their buddy, someone personable and approachable, when they call us Huskers after the game starts.  It always seemed like Keith Jackson would revert to calling us the Huskers as the game wore on. 

• Plus1 5

What knapp is saying is if you wear a Nebraska tshirt it should say Huskers but if you wear a red Nebraska leisure suit while drinking fancy alcohol with important people it should say Cornhuskers.

40 minutes ago, GSG said:

He probably said it

HE DIDN'T!

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
On 2/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, knapplc said:

It's the difference between formal and informal address for me.

When I'm introducing my boss to someone in a formal setting, It's "This is my boss, Robert Debondehaven."  But when I'm introducing him to someone in a familiar setting, it's, "This is my boss, Bob." 

Nebraska Cornhuskers is the formal name, what you should lead the article or broadcast with.  After that, Huskers is OK.

If an announcer uses "Cornhuskers" all game long it seems unnecessarily formal, as if we're not part of the club, outsiders.  It always made me feel like they were talking about their buddy, someone personable and approachable, when they call us Huskers after the game starts.  It always seemed like Keith Jackson would revert to calling us the Huskers as the game wore on. 

giphy.gif

;)

+1.