2018 NFL Combine

41 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Cannot let Nebraska kids like that leave.  If he went to Stanford just for the degree, then I get it, but dang.  All American from Omaha who puts up 42 reps. 

Phillips made a point to say that NU’s done a good job of recruiting in-state players. But he also said that “if Nebraska had offered me six months ago, I probably wouldn’t have made that trip to Stanford in the first place.”

But NU didn’t. So Phillips took the trip. And he’ll attend Stanford. (from 2015)

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/recruiting-harrison-phillips-picks-stanford-over-nebraska-k-state/article_6d2f6fa0-083c-5130-86b2-e7724482f3db.html

IMHO, I do not think kids like this will be leaving for lack of or a late offer from Frost and Co.  They might go elsewhere, but not from lack of a timely offer....

• Plus1 4

Re:  Griffin.  Kind of a long read, but here's Griffin's letter to NFL GM's.  

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/shaquem-griffin-ucf-nfl-draft-letter-to-general-managers/

What struck me is that when he was 8, an opposing coach tried to keep him off the field because football was for players with TWO hands.  (He eventually was allowed to play and had the game sealing interception).  

also - how sad is it that we are discussing another team's player in the combine, since ours aren't all that?

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, runningblind said:

Cannot let Nebraska kids like that leave.  If he went to Stanford just for the degree, then I get it, but dang.  All American from Omaha who puts up 42 reps. 

Can someone who knows what happened why Harrison Phillips didn't come to NU private message me (don't want derail this thread)?

I really should start following recruiting more closely.

7 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Re:  Griffin.  Kind of a long read, but here's Griffin's letter to NFL GM's.  

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/shaquem-griffin-ucf-nfl-draft-letter-to-general-managers/

What struck me is that when he was 8, an opposing coach tried to keep him off the field because football was for players with TWO hands.  (He eventually was allowed to play and had the game sealing interception).  

also - how sad is it that we are discussing another team's player in the combine, since ours aren't all that?

I don't think it is "sad" in the strict dictionary definition, but I get your point.  

I read the tweets within this thread and it would appear they have ideal next level measurables.  So how did Jones and Kalu do?

20 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Can someone who knows what happened why Harrison Phillips didn't come to NU private message me (don't want derail this thread)?

Depends on what side you want to believe.

Bo & Co were talking to him but didn't offer until a couple days after Stanford did.  Obviously he chose Stanford.  He said if Nebraska had offered six months earlier perhaps he would not have even visited Stanford.  But it's impossible to know.

There is also some speculation that Bo & Co were thinking they would only take one or the other of Stoltenberg and Phillips.  They went with Stoltenberg first which may be why they were later offering Phillips.  But that's a bit of speculation as well.

On 3/1/2018 at 6:36 PM, Touchdown Tommie said:

Orlando Brown from OU did like 14-15. 

The difference is that Brown was pretty dang good in college...Gates, was exposed frequently!

Maybe Orlando Brown quit PED and speed pills due to a strict NFL drug test?  Could be wrong but I think CFB drug test is much weaker than strict NFL drug test. 

HuskerMAX forum member ......... (All 'N' 011808)

OT Orlando Brown, Oklahoma, 6'8", 360, is considered a 1st or 2nd round pick. He made Gates look good today.

Bench:
14 reps in the bench press (tied 3rd worst among offensive tackles since 2000) / Gates did 20.
40-yard dash:
5.85 seconds (5th slowest since 2003; none of them were drafted or started a game in the NFL) / Gates ran 5.46.
Vertical jump:
19.5 inches (3rd worst ever; if drafted, would be the worst jump) / Gates jumped 24 inches.
Broad jump:
6'10" (the worst in Pro Football Reference’s database) / Gates jumped 7'10".

To make matters worse, coaches working drills yelled at him for 'loafing'.