QB John Rhys Plumlee [Mississippi - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

24 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Plumlee Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/2018 at 06:25 AM

2 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

If that's true, I hope he never gets close to committing to Nebraska. Count me in the camp that is really tired of hearing about Bubba Starling.

I guess I've never understood this thinking.  You recruit the best people you can.  End of story.  

Not all of them are going to work out.  But I'd much rather shoot for the best guys and lose out there than grab a middle-three-star who's never going to play.  And there's nothing saying even a guy who has no interest in baseball is going ever be a contributor either - KJJ, etc.

You have to hedge your bets and not have all your eggs in that one basket.  But if you think you have a chance you go after it.

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I've never understood this thinking.  You recruit the best people you can.  End of story.  

Not all of them are going to work out.  But I'd much rather shoot for the best guys and lose out there than grab a middle-three-star who's never going to play.  And there's nothing saying even a guy who has no interest in baseball is going ever be a contributor either - KJJ, etc.

You have to hedge your bets and not have all your eggs in that one basket.  But if you think you have a chance you go after it.

But Ameer was a 3 star. 

Jk. I 100% agree with you, just had to best the other side to their go-to. 

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The bolded was the biggest problem with the Carl Crawford situation.  

If he commits to Nebraska...great.  But, the coaches had better just put in their minds that he isn't coming and recruit accordingly.  Then, if he does end up at Nebraska, it's icing on the cake.

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

For me, it's not about if Nebraska should go for the best prospect available (obviously they should), it is about me having to listen to other fans lament about what could have been with Bubba for 7 years already with no end in sight.

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

They're not really ranked as "the best". That implies a singular superior choice, and it's just not like that. We will pursue several highly rated guys at every position. This guy may be 1a vs 1b, and in that sense you grab 1b if he's got a better chance of contributing because he's not taking the cushy gig known as baseball. 

If there is such a big gap between the choices that not taking the chance at the better player means you're stuck with a player unlikely to contribute then it was a trivial decision to begin with. Why argue trivialities.

Maybe my googling skills need work, but I haven't seen anything tying this kid to the MLB draft. He might be a good college baseball prospect, but he isn't in the same ballpark (pun intended) as Bubba when it comes to the draft. Bubba was going on the 1st day of the draft no matter what, and was basically using Nebraska as a pawn in contract negotiations. There is a 99% chance Plumlee ends up in college.

15 hours ago, brophog said:

They're not really ranked as "the best". That implies a singular superior choice, and it's just not like that. We will pursue several highly rated guys at every position. This guy may be 1a vs 1b, and in that sense you grab 1b if he's got a better chance of contributing because he's not taking the cushy gig known as baseball. 

If there is such a big gap between the choices that not taking the chance at the better player means you're stuck with a player unlikely to contribute then it was a trivial decision to begin with. Why argue trivialities.

There is a reason I said "people" and not "person"

• Mavric changed the title to QB John Rhys Plumlee [Mississippi - Signed LOI]