Fan day- Meet Coach Frost

Hello,

im hoping to get counsel on the fan day that Husker football has every year. I think that’s what it’s called. Understand, I’m ignorant on all this as I’ve been at FT Bragg for past 22 years in Army and only been able to follow Huskers from afar. I left Nebraska at 19 and just moved and retired in Gretna, Ne. I’m excited to understate, to have opportunity to meet Coach Frost. I’m 42 years old, which allowed me to watch every game He played in. It’s absolutely remarkable that he was on Mr Osborne last team and now the Coach.

i want to get things signed by him. I can’t find info on google about COA with things that are signed on fan day. 

Is this day historically been organized well?

Is there enough time to with the long lines to actually get to the tables where coaches are.?

any insight and preferred first hand experience with this “fan day” above and beyond the info I’ve read on Husker.com. 

Thank you 

Nathan 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, 1994 Husker said:

Hello,

im hoping to get counsel on the fan day that Husker football has every year. I think that’s what it’s called. Understand, I’m ignorant on all this as I’ve been at FT Bragg for past 22 years in Army and only been able to follow Huskers from afar. I left Nebraska at 19 and just moved and retired in Gretna, Ne. I’m excited to understate, to have opportunity to meet Coach Frost. I’m 42 years old, which allowed me to watch every game He played in. It’s absolutely remarkable that he was on Mr Osborne last team and now the Coach.

i want to get things signed by him. I can’t find info on google about COA with things that are signed on fan day. 

Is this day historically been organized well?

Is there enough time to with the long lines to actually get to the tables where coaches are.?

any insight and preferred first hand experience with this “fan day” above and beyond the info I’ve read on Husker.com. 

Thank you 

Nathan 

Thank you for your service Nathan!

The line for Frost this year might go out the North Stadium entrance and end somewhere around Valparaiso.....

My suggestion, set up a tent the night before :thumbs

I took my kids to the Fan Day before Pelini's last year.  Pelini was "old news" and the line to meet him and get an autograph still crossed the entire field and went underneath the stands.  I took advantage of the shorter lines and my kids got to get the pennants they brought signed by all the offensive lineman.  It actually worked out better: my kids were amazed at how huge the players were (my kids were 4 going on 5), they liked meeting more players, and they collected more autographs.  They didn't understand why people would wait so long to meet only "one" person.

Have fun and be patient!

They've changed up the format subtly over the last several years but the general format has been pretty consistent  - player lines are set up on the outskirts of the field by position group. Brand new recruits sit up in the stands at a table. The head coach usually sits in a tent right by the north end zone and a line for him extends all the way to the southwest exit. They usually put all of the assistant coaches around the 50-yard line so people can get those and then stay in line to get the head coach.

As a general rule of thumb, you'll need to pick and choose what matters most to you. If you just want Frost (and don't want to stand in line for hours before the gates open) then Frost might be the only autograph you have time to get. You'll be standing in that line almost the whole time if you're not one of the first in the door. If you do get in line hours before the gates open and you're one of the first to get the coach's sig, you may have time to get sigs from one or two other position groups.

Just keep in mind that thousands of fans come, this year is probably going to be on steroids by comparison to last year and they usually only give something like 60-90 minutes for autographs.

PS - IIRC @knapplc has taken photos from some in the past and posted them on the board

• Plus1 1

Hi, @1994 Husker

First, thanks for your service! 

I've been to any Fan Days over the years, and like @Enhance said, I've posted pictures of many of them here. Depending on my schedule I'll do it again this year as well. 

They change the format just about every year, but in general the field is laid out like this, from 2010:

Mgapeyr.jpg

You have your position groups in various parts of the field, lines snake around the field for each group, and it's very difficult to get through more than two groups in the 90 minutes allotted for Fan Day. 

Like others have said, the line for the Head Coach is very long, stretching the length of the field every year.  The two lines down the center of the field in this 2010 photo are for Bo (one line) and for the assistant coaches (the other line).  You wouldn't, for example, be able to get through both of these lines in 90 minutes. 

gplnz2l.jpg

The crowd is a little sparse in this picture, but that is not the norm. Usually the field is chock full of people, like in this 2014 photo for Bo's final year when fan interest was waning again:

b3AknTL.jpg

I took that picture from the West Stadium where the Freshmen usually sit. If you're going, and you want to get some early autographs, that line isn't usually as long because most folks don't know the Freshmen sit up there.

The lines are ALWAYS long to get in, because only four gates are open (one on each corner of the stadium, usually).  People arrive hours early and wait in line.  It's tough on kids, and it's helpful if you have two adults available - one to watch the kids and one to run for food/drinks while waiting to get in.  Here's the line in the north parking lot waiting to get into Gate #3 (top left corner of the diagram above) from 2015:

b2EXtJO.jpg

Like most people are saying, expect this to be the craziest, and longest line for the Head Coach that we've seen in... probably forever.  While the line usually goes the length of the field, sometimes it doubles back and is longer than 100 yards. It will easily be that long this year, and probably much longer.

If you want to get Coach Frost's autograph, odds are good that is the only one you'll get. And unless you get there really early, it's very possible that you could wait in that line the entire time and still not get his autograph.

Edited by knapplc
  • Plus1 3