Nebrasketball Game #33- National Invitation Tournament First Round- @ Mississippi State (Wednesday, March 14- 8pm ESPN2)

What will the game result be?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Mississippi State single digit win
    • Mississippi State double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/16/2018 at 01:09 AM

It seems like a lot of times in the NIT there are a bunch of deflated teams.  It happens.  It sucks.  I am not a Miles fan or NU basketball fan but if I was I think this season would have been a tough one for me.  They clearly did way better than most thought they would which is great...but the fact that they are always predicted to be horrible is the problem.  

I thought Gill came to play for this game and Roby did at times. Palmer was really timid this game which isn't like him. Next year we need some semblance of an offense that can get Palmer the ball where he can attack and that forces the defense to collapse and he can kick out to Cope or hopefully some improved shooters next year.

6 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

This shows how important NIT seeding is when the higher seed gets a home game:

The only 'upset' was #5 Washington over #4 Boise State, but the game was played @ Washington because Boise's court is being used for NCAA tourney games.

So you are telling me the all high seeds won? Weird how a tournament works that favors the BETTER teams at the beginning.

1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

I thought Gill came to play for this game and Roby did at times. Palmer was really timid this game which isn't like him. Next year we need some semblance of an offense that can get Palmer the ball where he can attack and that forces the defense to collapse and he can kick out to Cope or hopefully some improved shooters next year.

If you are going to rely on Copeland to drain 3 point kick outs.  You are going to have a bad time.

6 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

So you are telling me the all high seeds won? Weird how a tournament works that favors the BETTER teams at the beginning.

1. No need for snarky comments - if you don't care that's fine, some people might find it interesting

2. I'm not telling you all the high seeds won. I actually put right in there that #5 Washington beat #4 Boise State, but it was at Washington. Reading comprehension is fun.

3. How many years in the NIT have all the home teams won in the 1st round? I only looked at the past 10 years, but it's zero.  At least 2 home teams have lost every year.

2018 = 1 upset in 1st round, 0 home teams lost (Boise State couldn't host due to NCAA tourney)

2017 = 9 upsets in 1st round, 7 home teams lost (Indiana didn't host and Houston/Akron was played at a neutral site)

2016 = 1 upset in 1st round, 2 home teams lost (Florida didn't host due to renovations)

2015 = 5 upsets in 1st round, 4 home teams lost (Illinois didn't host due to renovations)

2014 = 3 upsets in 1st round, 4 home teams lost (Illinois didn't host due to renovations)

2013 = 5 upsets in 1st round, 4 home teams lost (Kentucky didn't host)

2012 = 7 upsets in 1st round, 6 home teams lost (Dayton can't host due to 1st Four)

2011 = 3 upsets in 1st round, 3 home teams lost (Dayton can't host, BC didn't host)

2010 = 4 upsets in 1st round, 5 home teams lost (Illinois didn't host)

2009 = 2 upsets in 1st round, 3 home teams lost (Miami didn't host)

2008 = 3 upsets in 1st round, 3 home teams lost

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

1. No need for snarky comments - if you don't care that's fine, some people might find it interesting

2. I'm not telling you all the high seeds won. I actually put right in there that #5 Washington beat #4 Boise State, but it was at Washington. Reading comprehension is fun.

3. How many years in the NIT have all the home teams won in the 1st round? I only looked at the past 10 years, but it's zero.  At least 2 home teams have lost every year.

2018 = 1 upset in 1st round, 0 home teams lost (Boise State couldn't host due to NCAA tourney)

2017 = 9 upsets in 1st round, 7 home teams lost (Indiana didn't host and Houston/Akron was played at a neutral site)

2016 = 1 upset in 1st round, 2 home teams lost (Florida didn't host due to renovations)

2015 = 5 upsets in 1st round, 4 home teams lost (Illinois didn't host due to renovations)

2014 = 3 upsets in 1st round, 4 home teams lost (Illinois didn't host due to renovations)

2013 = 5 upsets in 1st round, 4 home teams lost (Kentucky didn't host)

2012 = 7 upsets in 1st round, 6 home teams lost (Dayton can't host due to 1st Four)

2011 = 3 upsets in 1st round, 3 home teams lost (Dayton can't host, BC didn't host)

2010 = 4 upsets in 1st round, 5 home teams lost (Illinois didn't host)

2009 = 2 upsets in 1st round, 3 home teams lost (Miami didn't host)

2008 = 3 upsets in 1st round, 3 home teams lost

My point is seeding is done for a reason.  This even proves more to me that Nebraska wasn't that good, as the 300 people that actually went to that game could have a such a profound influence on the outcome, as some want to suggest.   I'm just not under the impression that the home field does squat in the NIT and your data backs that. 

3 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Didn't  necessarily win because they were "better" as a high seed. See nebraskas home vs away-neutral record this season. Hell, any team for that matter.

• Plus1 1