2018-19 Schedule

So. We have to get this fixed for next year. We can’t not make the tournament because we don’t go 5-1 or undefeated in our only chances.

I think the B1G will fix things from there end, but we can do some things too. Here is what is set.

20 B1G Games

vs Creighton

USC/Texas Tech/Missouri St (2 of)

vs 2 other low level teams in conjunction with KC tourney(will hurt SOS)

@ ACC/B1G Challenge (Hopefully someone Top75 RPI So it’s a Quad 1)

vs Gavett Games (Hopefully Nova or Xavier)

This leaves 4 available games:

I would recommend trying to re-up with Kansas, possibly something with Witchita State.

I also wouldn’t be opposed to going to SD to play either the Yotes or the Jacks. Both will be solid next year, possibly both top 75 RPI for road games to equal quad 1 win.

We can’t schedule cupcakes. Play D2 schools instead so they don’t crush our strength of schedule.

Edited by ScottyIce
  • Plus1 2

thanks for starting this. Below are some teams I would like to see Nebraska schedule H/H series with that are realistic and also challenging: 

St. Mary's

Rhode Island

Houston

Wichita State

Kansas 

Kansas State

Iowa St

Missouri

St. Louis

USC

SMU

Tulsa

Auburn

Alabama

Northern Iowa 

Illinois St

Loyola (Chicago) 

Middle Tennessee St

teams that are buy games I'd like to see: 

South Dakota

South Dakota State

Montana 

North Dakota 

FGCU 

Charleston 

Davidson 

GA State

ULL 

Tulane

• Plus1 1

It's pretty simple, you have to schedule enough good teams to give yourself the opportunity but then you also have to seize the opportunity when it comes around. Our problem this year was a lack of both opportunity and seizing it. It's pretty telling that the best or second best Nebraska bball team in the last 20 years only warranted a 5 seed in the NIT. That says more about our basketball program than it does about any little disparities in the seeding. There's a reason we are the only D1 team to never win a tourney game, we're just not at the needed level. I hope that changes but it's been that way my whole life. I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Pretty much any school in the American would be a good h/h. One of the things Wichita St did was to do neutral site games with both Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Granted the neutral site was basically a home game for one school it wasnt an on campus game.

Which means it just needs to be a top 50 RPI opponent for Q1 win?

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

So. We have to get this fixed for next year. We can’t not make the tournament because we don’t go 5-1 or undefeated in our only chances.

I think the B1G will fix things from there end, but we can do some things too. Here is what is set.

20 B1G Games

vs Creighton

USC/Texas Tech/Missouri St (2 of)

vs 2 other low level teams in conjunction with KC tourney(will hurt SOS)

@ ACC/B1G Challenge (Hopefully someone Top75 RPI So it’s a Quad 1)

vs Gavett Games (Hopefully Nova or Xavier)

This leaves 4 available games:

I would recommend trying to re-up with Kansas, possibly something with Witchita State.

I also wouldn’t be opposed to going to SD to play either the Yotes or the Jacks. Both will be solid next year, possibly both top 75 RPI for road games to equal quad 1 win.

We can’t schedule cupcakes. Play D2 schools instead so they don’t crush our strength of schedule.

Unlikely that we play Nova since we've played them already as part of the Gavitt games. Should be a home game since we've played twice in the games and they've both been road games.

Probably won't play South Dakota since their coach is a former Miles assistant.

Might be able to get a H/H with a former Big 8 school, but probably not KU. KSU or ISU seem like the most likely.

Edited by ECisGod
3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

I think the B1G will fix things from there end, but we can do some things too.

Yeah, like finish out games and win, and not choke during big time games? 

We’re really overthinking this s***. As said by all sorts of pundits, if we beat Kansas and Creighton, we’re discussing if we’ll win our first Round of 64 game.

The question we should be wondering is if Moos is buying whether Miles can improve the team next year or if he’ll decide Miles has hit his ceiling at Nebraska. 

6 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

We’re really overthinking this s***. As said by all sorts of pundits, if we beat Kansas and Creighton, we’re discussing if we’ll win our first Round of 64 game.

The question we should be wondering is if Moos is buying whether Miles can improve the team next year or if he’ll decide Miles has hit his ceiling at Nebraska. 

Well said. If we’re 3-4, instead of 1-6, against RPI Top 50 - we’re more than likely in. But it’s a lot easier for people to stomp their feet at the fact that we won 23 games and didn’t make it. 

The cupcakes need to be in the 150-250 range.  Playing multiple teams in the 250-350 range kills your RPI and SOS.  This year we played the 261, 323, 325, and 351 teams.  Move each of those teams up 100-150 spots and our RPI is probably 10 spots better.

Other conferences/teams have figured out how to game the system.  Its time that Delany gets the B1G playing the same game as everyone else.

Edited by Red Five
  • Plus1 1
8 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

You're wrong. Even if we beat Kansas we were still on outside looking in.

We seriously only had 5 games we lost(Kansas, Creighton, MSU, Purdue, Ohio State) on our schedule that could've moved the needle, and we would've needed 3 out of 5 to be wins.

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

You're wrong. Even if we beat Kansas we were still on outside looking in.

We seriously only had 5 games we lost(Kansas, Creighton, MSU, Purdue, Ohio State) on our schedule that could've moved the needle, and we would've needed 3 out of 5 to be wins.

Most of the NCAA Tourney prognosticators have suggested otherwise, and Oklahoma's admittance to the tournament by virtue of early season triumphs overshadowing their horrible slide during conference play suggests you're in the wrong. 

And again, the focus shouldn't be on the schedule--let's worry about whether or not we have the coaching staff in place to succeed, *THEN* we can worry about scheduling. This thread is putting the cart before the horse. 

Edited by VectorVictor
7 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Most of the NCAA Tourney prognosticators have suggested otherwise, and Oklahoma's admittance to the tournament by virtue of early season triumphs overshadowing their horrible slide during conference play suggests you're in the wrong. 

And again, the focus shouldn't be on the schedule--let's worry about whether or not we have the coaching staff in place to succeed, *THEN* we can worry about scheduling. This thread is putting the cart before the horse. 

Those prognosticators obviously weren't close, as Nebraska is an NIT 5 seed.  One more win was not getting them in, no matter who they beat.

I don't know if Miles can get this team over the hump, but if you think he's getting fired after this year I think you're delusional.

If they have a poor year next year, by all means fire him.  But coming off one of the better years in NEB bball history, Moos would have a hard time justifying letting him go.

• Plus1 1