2018-19 Schedule

Nebraska has several people that are in their sports analytics department now.

I think they should have them analyze the metrics used by the NCAA committee, and then analyze other teams to find good matchups for NEB that they could win and also get higher numbers for the committee to look at.

Other teams are obviously doing this and some are doing it well.  It's the system that is in place - take advantage of it.

I get that Kansas is next door and a fun game to play - brings back memories of BIG8.  But that is a tough win and probably most years makes the Q1 record look worse with an L 85% of the time.  We need to schedule more non-conf games against teams in the 40-80 range hoping that we get plenty of wins and enough of those games end up as Q1 games and the rest are Q2.  The first step to all this is having a team that can compete with teams ranked 40-80 and i feel we are there.

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

I get that Kansas is next door and a fun game to play - brings back memories of BIG8.  But that is a tough win and probably most years makes the Q1 record look worse with an L 85% of the time.  We need to schedule more non-conf games against teams in the 40-80 range hoping that we get plenty of wins and enough of those games end up as Q1 games and the rest are Q2.  The first step to all this is having a team that can compete with teams ranked 40-80 and i feel we are there.

You're not wrong.

We need to find the matchups Coach C was just suggesting.

I really strongly suggest the SDSU & USD series on the road. It's going to be a Q1 -Q2 Win against one of them each year. (if we beat them that is)

Edited by ScottyIce
8 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Nebraska has several people that are in their sports analytics department now.

I think they should have them analyze the metrics used by the NCAA committee, and then analyze other teams to find good matchups for NEB that they could win and also get higher numbers for the committee to look at.

Other teams are obviously doing this and some are doing it well.  It's the system that is in place - take advantage of it.

Great points - with a solid $$$ situation between BigTen and selling out our top 2 men's sports we need to entice these teams to play at the Bank.  Wondering how easy of a sell it is to get these teams here with the home record that we had this year???

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

Great points - with a solid $$$ situation between BigTen and selling out our top 2 men's sports we need to entice these teams to play at the Bank.  Wondering how easy of a sell it is to get these teams here with the home record that we had this year???

I think you find some that are pay games at the Bank, but I think we need some home and homes too. Road games are easier to get quad 1 wins as well. A home win over a team with an RPI of 25 is equal to a road win over a team with an RPI of 75.

Edited by HS_Coach_C
  • Plus1 1

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

The cupcakes need to be in the 150-250 range.  Playing multiple teams in the 250-350 range kills your RPI and SOS.  This year we played the 261, 323, 325, and 351 teams.  Move each of those teams up 100-150 spots and our RPI is probably 10 spots better.

Other conferences/teams have figured out how to game the system.  Its time that Delany gets the B1G playing the same game as everyone else.

This may be dumb as hell, but its a brainstorm.  I wonder if you could work the system something like a deal with UNO at Baxter to split the gate 50/50 or something so even a 200+ RPI wouldn't have the same hit b/c its technically a road game.  Heck if UNO could be a little better and get above 240 a road game would be a Quad 3 win.  Just thinking outside the box.

You are generally right though.  Avoid the MEAC and SWAC at all costs.  Those conferences are god awful and we are loads better filling buy games with Summit level teams.  Getting Valley teams might need to do a 2-1 deal with them to get them in the house.  I think Xavier played @Northern Iowa this year and North Carolina went in there and lost a few years ago.  Its a risk, but they are obviously going to reward teams that take risks.

Need to find a home/home series with someone big enough where it's a Q1 Win at home as well as on the road.

An easy way to pick up Q1 wins would be to go to SDSU & USD for games next year. They are both going to be solid top 100 RPI schools at minimum.

My questions is how many home games do we typically give the Season Ticket Holders? 15?

Because next year, Home dates are.... 10 B1G, 1 Gavett Games(should be), Creighton, 2 lower level opponents that coincide with the KC Tournament. That is 14 already.

Edited by ScottyIce

I think they should specifically try to schedule more games with former B12 teams, it’s hurting Nebraska more than it’s hurting the former members by not playing more often. Geographically, competitively, recruiting and a renewed rivalry, it’s a win all around. I’m glad we broke through with a Kansas matchup, maybe fit in a couple matchups each year, one home and one away?

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

I think they should specifically try to schedule more games with former B12 teams, it’s hurting Nebraska more than it’s hurting the former members by not playing more often. Geographically, competitively, recruiting and a renewed rivalry, it’s a win all around. I’m glad we broke through with a Kansas matchup, maybe fit in a couple matchups each year, one home and one away?

I approve.

Additional to that, I stand by my recommendation that we goto SDSU or USD for that Quad 1 win.

Just schedule all the teams in the SEC or B12... That worked for other teams getting in by beating mediocre teams who everyone thinks are good.

I think Miles scheduled softer this year because he didnt know what the team would look like. The fact the B1G didnt help solve that was what did us in.

But according to the Committee we would be better to schedule super tough and then coast.

2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Need to find a home/home series with someone big enough where it's a Q1 Win at home as well as on the road.

An easy way to pick up Q1 wins would be to go to SDSU & USD for games next year. They are both going to be solid top 100 RPI schools at minimum.

My questions is how many home games do we typically give the Season Ticket Holders? 15?

Because next year, Home dates are.... 10 B1G, 1 Gavett Games(should be), Creighton, 2 lower level opponents that coincide with the KC Tournament. That is 14 already.

The last five years NEB had 17, 16, 18, 16, & 16 home games.

We had 31 games before the conference tournament this year.  If you shoot for 31 next year with 17 home games:

20 Big Ten games (10 at home)

1 Gavitt Games (home)

1 Creighton (home)

4 CBE KC Tourney (2 home)

1 Big Ten/ACC challenge

4 TBD (3 home)

Non conference we should already have 5 quality opponents scheduled.  If we could get at least 1 or 2 more in the 4 TBD games, that'd be great.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Beating teams like UCF in these tournaments to get your shot at the big boys would be a start.

Next schedule some higher tier cupcakes. 

Finally actually win 2-3 premier/equal talent non-con games. I'm ashamed of our non-con win list.  

UCF was actually decent at the beginning of the year. they were viewed as a possible tourney team before the season.

Part of the problem with this year's schedule is that teams like North Texas, North Dakota & UTSA weren't as good as expected.  North Texas & UTSA were expected to be among the better teams in Conference USA, but wound up more middle of the pack.  North Dakota won the Big Sky last year but was near the bottom of the conference this year. 

I've seen several suggestions that we play USD or SDSU next year, but it's kind of a crap shoot when you schedule teams from mid major conferences.  If Mike Daum gets injured or transfers as a grad transfer (he said he wouldn't before the season), SDSU won't be a very good team.  I would be shocked if we scheduled USD since Smith is a former Miles assistant.

3 minutes ago, desertshox said:

UCF was actually decent at the beginning of the year. they were viewed as a possible tourney team before the season.

UCF had multiple injuries to starters including 7'6" Tacko Fall.