2018-19 Schedule

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

Part of the problem with this year's schedule is that teams like North Texas, North Dakota & UTSA weren't as good as expected.  North Texas & UTSA were expected to be among the better teams in Conference USA, but wound up more middle of the pack.  North Dakota won the Big Sky last year but was near the bottom of the conference this year. 

I've seen several suggestions that we play USD or SDSU next year, but it's kind of a crap shoot when you schedule teams from mid major conferences.  If Mike Daum gets injured or transfers as a grad transfer (he said he wouldn't before the season), SDSU won't be a very good team.  I would be shocked if we scheduled USD since Smith is a former Miles assistant.

UCF had multiple injuries to starters including 7'6" Tacko Fall.

Why do people keep thinking we wouldn't play USD because of Smith and Miles relationship? We just played them last year when Smith was HC.

20 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I think you find some that are pay games at the Bank, but I think we need some home and homes too. Road games are easier to get quad 1 wins as well. A home win over a team with an RPI of 25 is equal to a road win over a team with an RPI of 75.

Thanks for your input in this the thread over the past 10 days -  Some good work!!!

Edited by GBRFAN
  • Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Why do people keep thinking we wouldn't play USD because of Smith and Miles relationship? We just played them last year when Smith was HC.

Somehow I forgot about that.  I'm sure I was at the game since I have season tickets and rarely miss games.  Most head coaches don't want to play former assistants, especially ones that were with them for a long time. That said, I have no idea what USD has coming back next year to make a decent decision on how good the game would be from an RPI/metrics standpoint.

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

Then see my third point. Actually beat them, or St John's, or Creighton, or KU.

And that falls into the flaw in the selection for the tourney. UCF was returning a lot of their team Nebraska wasnt. They had a better idea of their pieces. Teams with high turnover are figuring things out.

2 hours ago, ECisGod said:

Somehow I forgot about that.  I'm sure I was at the game since I have season tickets and rarely miss games.  Most head coaches don't want to play former assistants, especially ones that were with them for a long time. That said, I have no idea what USD has coming back next year to make a decent decision on how good the game would be from an RPI/metrics standpoint.

USD will be good again. Young squad. Best player will be senior.

SDSU also will be good. Daum will be a senior.

16 hours ago, desertshox said:

And that falls into the flaw in the selection for the tourney. UCF was returning a lot of their team Nebraska wasnt. They had a better idea of their pieces. Teams with high turnover are figuring things out.

More just an unfortunate situation for us, but we like to make excuses.

It's more of a trend than an exception....

Non-con results against teams of similar-better talent:

2017:

Wins: Boston College

Losses: St. John's, UCF, Creighton, KU

2016:

Wins: Dayton

Losses: UCLA, VaTech, Clemson, Creighton, KU

*Terrible loss to Gardner-Webb

2015: 

Wins: Tennessee, Rhode Island 

Losses: Nova, Cincy, Miami, Creighton

2014:

Wins: Florida St, Cincy

Losses: Rhode Island, Creighton

*Terrible losses to Incarnate Word and Hawai'i. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Ha...Isn't he graduating?  

He will be a RS SR next year.

I just thought it was funny...

How would the Bulls be without Jordan?

How would the Cavs be without Lebron?

How would the Lakers be without Kobe?

Anytime a team loses their best player due to injury, they struggle to some degree without them.

2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

He will be a RS SR next year.

I just thought it was funny...

How would the Bulls be without Jordan?

How would the Cavs be without Lebron?

How would the Lakers be without Kobe?

Anytime a team loses their best player due to injury, they struggle to some degree without them.

so often the point goes by you. you can get the same rpi boost by scheduling a team that doesnt have a player capable of beating then going down for the year after that game.

8 minutes ago, desertshox said:

so often the point goes by you. you can get the same rpi boost by scheduling a team that doesnt have a player capable of beating then going down for the year after that game.

Wow. I thought I was taking it too far.

So now, we are scheduling to avoid players getting injured? Good gracious. Well, There goes about 50 teams we CAN'T schedule, because they might have their best player get hurt.

Sidenote: ANYONE and EVERYONE can get injured, however, I don't believe Daum has missed a game yet during his career due to injury.

Edited by ScottyIce
1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

More just an unfortunate situation for us, but we like to make excuses.

i'm not making excuses though. nebraska had 2 unfortunate situations that help illustrate the flaws in the new system. they beat a minnesota team that most likely would have been in the tourney then minnesota went through what they went through. valuing every game they are going to have to look at each and every variable for every game played.

guess i just really dont like the new system. and it didnt really affect the team i follow the most.