Who starts at QB?

2018 Husker Starting QB  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have a couple of these topics already. Maybe you could make it into a poll?

If Martinez isn't even 2nd string until the 6th game, it would be a waste to burn his redshirt. I think he'll either be the starter or he'll redshirt.

I'm guessing the reason people think Gebbia is better than POB is because POB never got to play over Lee until Lee was hurt, and there were times we probably should've taken Lee out of the game. I suppose that's a good guess.

Nevermind on Vedral - forgot he can't play.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

No idea.  POB with limited game experience.  Gebbia impressed last year in the spring game and Martinez the "hot pick".  It will be interesting for sure.  POB and Gebbia stats from HS dont show immobile QB's....POB more so, but hurt by sacks.  As much as Frost incorporate every single player who is eligible to touch the ball does (RB as receiver, wr motioned to RB et....)  He wants to get the ball to his play makers.  I think the first think Frost will look for is the guy who can make the throws.  Athleticism covers a multitude of issues....

I still love a dual threat QB.  One who can actually throw and run.  Not an athlete who can run, but throws 50%....I think Frost's system lends itself to assist a QB in both runnig and throwing.  Creating mismatches in coverage, concealing the routes (limits "tells") running one play to open another, OL who can get out and pull, get to the next level etc to help the QB run game etc....For the first time since Solich, I really feel we have a offensive staff clicking on all cylinders and will actually have the best guy at each position play and put them all in the best position to win. 

It's wide open for sure.  New system makes them all equal as far as the grasp and knowledge.  Gebbia is the reported junkie of game film, so I would give him the early advantage.  

I really think it's gonna be Martinez.

Do throw a poll up btw. I just feel like the way coaches are talking, the kind of year it's going to be...there's going to be a lot of opportunity and the new guy will be thirsty for it. I have no dog in this fight, though. It's an interesting offseason for the QB room!

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

As do I.  In point of fact, I will be more surprised if the starter isn't Martinez.

I'm definitely not at that point yet but if I was betting I'd bet on Martinez.

He was handpicked by Frost, and while the other 2 are older now, only POB has seen real game action, and neither of them have an advantage in having more time to learn the playbook or play in front of the coaches. The coaches have probably seen more of Martinez than they have of POB or Gebbia. They just don't have the advantages that someone who's been on the team awhile usually has. If Martinez hadn't joined the team in January I might have a different guess.

Edited by Moiraine

4 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Gebbia to start.  Who knows who will finish the year as our QB.  If Martinez is close and doesnt RS I could see him pushing Gebbia and getting some play as conference season rolls around. 

I hope its this, because if it is that means the our starter is continually having to work his butt of to get better or he will lose his spot! I think that will be one of the biggest things that we will notice with Frost as HC. His players will have to play with a sense of urgency at all times or they will find themselves picking splinters out of their ass as the next guy in line will be out on the field

I think POB gets the nod.  His build to me suggest that he would be far sturdier in the QB run game than say a Gebbia.  I personally like POB's deep ball a little more than Gebbia as it seems like POB's motion doesn't require the 'max effort load up' that Gebbia's does and I think POB's has a stronger arm which will help on the deep shots.  That being said, I'm excited that for the first time in what...a decade?  Nebraska will have a legit QB competition for the top spot.

• Plus1 2