Who starts at QB?

2018 Husker Starting QB  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I think POB gets the nod.  His build to me suggest that he would be far sturdier in the QB run game than say a Gebbia.  I personally like POB's deep ball a little more than Gebbia as it seems like POB's motion doesn't require the 'max effort load up' that Gebbia's does and I think POB's has a stronger arm which will help on the deep shots.  That being said, I'm excited that for the first time in what...a decade?  Nebraska will have a legit QB competition for the top spot.

I think POB is definitely falling by the wayside for many people. He's without question viewed as more of the 'pocket passer,' but, if he can work on some of his speed and athleticism during the off season then he could still be productive in the run game. He won't take one to the house or get big consistent chunks, but, if his passing excels then they may not need as much help from his legs.

That said, I truthfully have no idea who will start. Gebbia seems like the easy choice since people say he's a bit more mobile than POB and still has good accuracy/arm strength.

I think POB/Gebbia are the favorites. I just don't know what to make of AM yet. He's got a great attitude and has the physical potential but, he also had to miss his senior season so we don't yet really have a grasp of what (if any) impact that's going to have on him in spring ball. It'll be interesting to see where he fits into the competition.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think POB is definitely falling by the wayside for many people. He's without question viewed as more of the 'pocket passer,' but, if he can work on some of his speed and athleticism during the off season then he could still be productive in the run game. He won't take one to the house or get big consistent chunks, but, if his passing excels then they may not need as much help from his legs.

That said, I truthfully have no idea who will start. Gebbia seems like the easy choice since people say he's a bit more mobile than POB and still has good accuracy/arm strength.

I think POB/Gebbia are the favorites. I just don't know what to make of AM yet. He's got a great attitude and has the physical potential but, he also had to miss his senior season so we don't yet really have a grasp of what (if any) impact that's going to have on him in spring ball. It'll be interesting to see where he fits into the competition.

Fair points regarding POB v. Gebbia.  I know Gebbia has put on quite a few pounds since he got to NU and once we see the Spring Game that will help matters.  I just can't get the image of him being so skinny and trying to picture him in the QB run game without getting pole axed versus Ohio State, Whisky and some of the other uber aggressive defenses NU will see this year.

I voted AM for this reason alone: SF said there are no favorites, everyone will get the same look.  So if AM is close to TG or POB in  his performance, I think SF goes with 'his' QB- the one specifically recruited for his O.   I have a hard time seeing POB fitting the offense and I wonder how long TG could take the punishment of being a true dual threat QB.  I think TG and AM are the leaders from an athletic perspective. Basically TG and AM come into the picture even - this is their first season under this coach and this playbook. Neither has college game day experience.  

The problem with AM starting is - do we lose POB and possibly TG as a transfer.  They are both young and would believe that they have opportunity to start else where.   And this does not even include Vedral who becomes a very viable option the following season.

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Fair points regarding POB v. Gebbia.  I know Gebbia has put on quite a few pounds since he got to NU and once we see the Spring Game that will help matters.  I just can't get the image of him being so skinny and trying to picture him in the QB run game without getting pole axed versus Ohio State, Whisky and some of the other uber aggressive defenses NU will see this year.

LOL I know what you mean - my last real substantive memory of him is from the 2017 spring game and I thought he looked... little. The idea of him running into the teeth of the tOSU or Wisconsin defense, based off that image in my head, is actually pretty funny in a macabre sort of way.

Somebody on a local radio station the other day made the comment that the QB in Frost's offense probably isn't going to have to worry too much about physical running. They said if you watch a lot of Milton film you see that he was often heading for the sidelines or running with wide open lanes because the play fakes worked so well.

I remember Frost said earlier this year that TO used to get angry at him if he ran out of bounds. I don't necessarily think that's going to be the same mentality for a Frost QB. Being tough will be the expectation but so will playing smart.

• Plus1 1

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say Gebbia.  And yes that's based mostly on one scrimmage.  I just haven't seen much from POB that inspires much confidence.    Martinez will be a true freshman who didn't play his senior year of high school.  Bunch will likely never play a meaningful snap.

16 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Lmao! No option to choose @Moiraine ?? Wow, you guys have lost faith in her already, I love it. Glad I chose the defensive side of the ball.

Footballs are hard to throw.

OT: whose bright idea was it to make the ball bigger in softball? Girls have smaller hands. I swear someone tried to make it purposely more difficult.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I think Gebbia will get the nod as well.  He has been nose deep in Frost's playbook and is constantly watching UCF game film to get a better grasp of the offense.  

My guess is that whoever the QB is will be much better in his 2nd year. With Gebbia's study habits, he may be able to reduce the difference between years 1 and 2 ... if he ends up as the starter.

45 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Footballs are hard to throw.

OT: whose bright idea was it to make the ball bigger in softball? Girls have smaller hands. I swear someone tried to make it purposely more difficult.

Also OT: Have you seen elite women softball pitchers against MLB stars though? They can't hit them.

4 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

My guess is that whoever the QB is will be much better in his 2nd year. With Gebbia's study habits, he may be able to reduce the difference between years 1 and 2 ... if he ends up as the starter.

Whoever starts this year, will most definitely not be billed as the lock to start in year 2.  We are talking about 3+ guys behind Gebbia/POB who will be more suited to run Frost's offense. (AMart, Vedral, 2019 QB Recruit). Not saying Gebbia or POB can't or won't run with it, but it's very possible we have multiple starters over the next 2 years.