Who starts at QB?

2018 Husker Starting QB  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Vince R. said:

If you want to see someone who benefitted from the new strength staff, check out POB. The baby weight is gone. He looks like a dude now. 

POB also played in a similar system in HS and is a pretty good runner. He was also the higher rated player coming out of HS over Gebbia. Everyone seems to be in love with the shifty was Gebbia showed in last year’s spring game, but POB was more the runner in HS. 

Edited by caveman99
  • Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

POB also played in a similar system in HS and is a pretty good runner. He was also the higher rated player coming out of HS over Gebbia. Everyone seems to be in love with the shifty was Gebbia showed in last year’s spring game, but POB was more the runner in HS. 

Ah the good ol who's going to start at QB debate.  Personally I'm more looking forward to Frost and his staff getting his QB recruits in order but obviously we have to roll with what we have this season which will include Martinez in the mix of course.  POB hasn't impressed me nearly as much as his HS stats might.  The thought of Gebbia taking hits and running around out there still scares me but  I like his arm a lot better than POB's in what we've seen so far.  

I'm looking forward to this staff's future recruits at quarterback.

I always thought POB was the better runner, but Gebbia is exactly the type of guy you want running a new offense.  He’s smart, works very hard, is accurate, and makes good decisions.  Considering it’s the first year, and Frost has lots of potential weapons in this offense, I think a guy that can distribute the ball well is big.  I also think Martinez will get some playing time early and may become situational if he performs well.  You need heat on Gebbia (from Martinez), and having him not redshirt gives him valuable experience for next year.  Also, considering the size issue with Gebbia, having at least two good back ups is essential.

Edited by Dagerow

Frost values a QB with a strong arm and accuracy over running skills.   He does like mobility in his QBs because it adds to his offense but it isn't what he looks for first in his QBs.  He also values QBs who are quick at making decisions.  

If we go by HS stats for our 3 leading candidates,  I would give the nod to Gebbia over anyone IMO.  The kid just knows how to get the ball into the endzone.

Gebbia:  66.3% completion with 141 TDs and 31 ints. in 3 years.  Also had 20 rushings TDs

POB:  70.0% completion with 44 TDs and 18 ints. in 3 years.  Also had 23 rushing TDs.

AMart:  55.9% completion with 39 TDs and 11 ints. in 2 years.  Also had 14 rushing TDs.

I know these aren't the tell all but it gives you a good idea on how productive they were and could be.

Edited by Stumpy1
  • Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Thats cause our very own Ric Flair isnt coaching and playing alongside them. Totally different story if he was.

:P

The softball pitching mound is less than half the distance to the plate compared to baseball and they can still throw it up to 75mph. I'm fairly certain I batted against a 14 year old pitcher who could pitch 60mph one time. I could barely see the ball.

Edited by Moiraine
Just now, Stumpy1 said:

Frost values a QB with a strong arm and accuracy over running skills.   He does like mobility in his QBs because it adds to his offense but it isn't what he looks for first in his QBs.  He also values QBs who are quick at making decisions.  

If we go by HS stats for our 3 leading candidates,  I would give the nod to Gebbia over anyone IMO.  The kid just knows how to get the ball into the endzone.

Gebbia:  66.3% completion with 141 TDs and 31 ints. in 3 years.  Also had 20 rushings TDs

POB:  70.0% completion with 44 TDs and 18 ints. in 3 years.  Also had 23 rushing TDs.

AMart:  55.9% completion with 39 TDs and 11 ints. in 2 years.  Also had 14 rushing TDs.

I know these are the tell all but it gives you a good idea on how productive they were and could be.

I don’t believe POB started 3 years so would just compare both players’s last 2 years.

6 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I don’t believe POB started 3 years so would just compare both players’s last 2 years.

Here you go...I went with their Jr and Sr years except for AMart cause he was injured and didn't have any.

Gebbia :  66.3% with 106 tds. and 20 ints along with 15 rushing tds.

POB :  68.0% with 44 tds and 18 ints along with 21 rushing tds.

AMart :   55.9% with 39 tds and 11 ints along with 14 rushing tds.

POB didn't play much offense until his Jr. year but did complete 3 of 4 pass and had 2 rushing tds his So. year.

AMart didn't play his Sr. year due to injury but started So. and Jr year. 

• Plus1 1

NEBRASKA - Patrick O’Brien vs. Tristan Gebbia vs. Adrian Martinez

The skinny: With new coach Scott Frost looking to implement his offense, this is one of the more interesting spring battles in the country. Sophomore O’Brien, redshirt freshman Gebbia and early enrollee Martinez will all receive ample opportunities to shine. O’Brien brings some experience, but does Martinez have the upper hand, even though he is a true freshman? Frost made Martinez a recruiting priority once he took the job in Lincoln, while both O’Brien and Gebbia will have to prove to Frost that they can run his style of offense. Whatever happens during spring practice, you can be sure that this battle will last until the summer.

Farrell take: Martinez is the best fit overall for what Frost likes to do on offense, but will he be ready? O’Brien and Gebbia both have talent, with O’Brien having the strongest arm of the group and the most experience. Gebbia is a bit more mobile and just needs to fill out a bit. The strongest arm is O’Brien, the best passer is Gebbia and the best runner is Martinez. So who wins the job? My guess is Gebbia, if he can hold up to the punishment and if he’s filled out. But long term, I love Martinez. All three prospects were four-stars out of high school.

Rivals

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

We THINK he didn't beat him out.  I don't trust any of the previous staffs' judgement with respect to who started on the OL or at QB.  POB would have done just fine in there.

That's quite possible too. Given how the OL worked, and how we've heard of back ups not getting to practice much, maybe once Lee won the job it was over permanently.

Seems to me being a starter should be a temporary thing - you're only the starter if you earn it every week. It doesn't seem like it was that way with those coaches.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

And the Gebbia love fest based off of a single beat writers article and 1 spring game continues....

Tristan has been impressive at every level. He understands the game and has a really good arm. I don't need a ton of college film to see those qualities. Some kids have the it factor and he has it. He took Adrian under his wing for two reasons: Reason one: He wants the best environment in that locker room, and he wants what is best for Nebraska. Second Reason: He knows he is really good and that the only way Adrian gets that job, is if he plays out of his mind from the get-go. Thats the kind of leader I want on this team. 

Edited by Vince R.
  • Plus1 6