Huskers vs. Northern Colorado - March 13-14

3 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

B2:

Altavilla - Walk on 9 pitches

Roskam - K on a check swing

Alvarado - E5, runner to 2nd

Hallmark - K on 3 pitches

Cronenbold - HBP on breaking ball in the dirt, but they say he didn't make an attempt to get away - BS - ends up K swinging

1-0 N COLORADO after 2

I hate the new "attempt to get out of the way" rule btw

How does the new attempt differ from the old attempt rule? Or is it a rule they have just decided to enforce? I honestly dont pay attention to how they decide to enforce rules from year to year.

2 hours ago, desertshox said:

How does the new attempt differ from the old attempt rule? Or is it a rule they have just decided to enforce? I honestly dont pay attention to how they decide to enforce rules from year to year.

Amend Rule 8-2.d.1 to read “A batter must attempt to avoid being hit by the pitch may not make a movement to 
intentionally get hit by the pitch and must avoid being hit whenever possible. If the batter’s action is deemed 
intentional then:.”
RATIONALE: This clarification is intended to reduce the intentional act of batters attempting to be hit by the pitch 
by making a movement to contact the pitch. If, in the umpire’s judgement, the batter is unable to make an attempt to 
avoid the pitch the batter will be awarded first base.

This is the official rule change. I get the part about not intentionally getting hit, and I agree with it.

What I don't like is that the "avoid getting hit whenever possible" is being applied in a way that is making batters start looking for inside pitches that they have to jump out of the way for. Big advantage to pitchers.  When you not only have to try to cover the whole plate, but you have to be ready for fastballs or breaking balls or change ups, it's impossible to be ready to jump out of the way of every pitch.

I get it when the pitch is close to a strike, but a breaking ball right at the batter's feet that he tried to jump for and still gets hit, that not counting as a HBP is stupid.

I don't know if this went into effect last year or not, but it's an emphasis this year. I have a feeling it will be revisited after this season.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Amend Rule 8-2.d.1 to read “A batter must attempt to avoid being hit by the pitch may not make a movement to 
intentionally get hit by the pitch and must avoid being hit whenever possible. If the batter’s action is deemed 
intentional then:.”
RATIONALE: This clarification is intended to reduce the intentional act of batters attempting to be hit by the pitch 
by making a movement to contact the pitch. If, in the umpire’s judgement, the batter is unable to make an attempt to 
avoid the pitch the batter will be awarded first base.

This is the official rule change. I get the part about not intentionally getting hit, and I agree with it.

What I don't like is that the "avoid getting hit whenever possible" is being applied in a way that is making batters start looking for inside pitches that they have to jump out of the way for. Big advantage to pitchers.  When you not only have to try to cover the whole plate, but you have to be ready for fastballs or breaking balls or change ups, it's impossible to be ready to jump out of the way of every pitch.

I get it when the pitch is close to a strike, but a breaking ball right at the batter's feet that he tried to jump for and still gets hit, that not counting as a HBP is stupid.

I don't know if this went into effect last year or not, but it's an emphasis this year. I have a feeling it will be revisited after this season.

so it looks like they are trying to get rid of the hbp when the batter turns into the pitch but are enforcing it an entirely different way. good intentions being misapplied.

B1:

Repinski - Groundout 5-3

Altavilla - HBP

Schreiber - Single to left, Altavilla to 2nd

Wilkening - Double to right center, RBI (his 23rd on the year already), Schreiber to 3rd (1-0) 

Roskam - Single to center, 2 RBI, (3-0)

Hallmark - Lineout F9

Klenke - Groundout to 1st

3-0 NEB after 1

This team seems to at least respond after bad games.  It also helps that they hit right-handers much better than lefties.

• Plus1 1

B2:

Luckey - HBP

Pitching Change: Maher for Brady = 1+ IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 HBP, 23 pitches

Luckey steals 2nd base

Acker - Walk

Repinski - K looking

Altavilla - Walk, Luckey to 3rd, Acker to 2nd

Schreiber - GRAND SLAM - 4 RBI's (7-0) :thumbs 

Wilkening - Popup F3

Roskam - Groundout 4-3

7-0 NEB after 2

Nebraska gets 4 runs on just 1 hit in the inning

• Plus1 1

T4:

Single (1st hit of the day for NOR CO)

K swinging

Walk, runner to 2nd

Pitching Change: Abrahamowicz for Mike Waldron = 3.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 62 pitches - career high in IP and K's

K looking

Single to left, RBI, runner to second - (7-1)

Passed Ball by Roskam, runners to 2nd & 3rd

Flyout F7

7-1 NEB after 3 1/2

• Plus1 1