Trump Fires Tillerson For Condemning Putin/Russia

Trump has had a rocky relationship with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson for months, mostly because Tillerson doesn't adhere to Trump's policy of kowtowing to Russia, but Trump has taken pains to assure everyone that Tillerson is his guy.

Yesterday, Trump's White House refused to name Russia as responsible for the nerve agent attack on a former Russian spy on British soil, failing to support our greatest ally in their allegations against Putin. 

Rex Tillerson wasn't having that, and directly stated that Russia was the culprit. 

Less than 24 hours later, Trump fires Tillerson.

The spin from Team Trump is that Tillerson was fired last week, effective today. 

It's a lie. 

Tillerson left on a diplomatic trip to Africa, scheduled to last through Tuesday.  You don't go on that trip if you're already fired. 

There's a clear line of progression here.

Russia poisons ex-spy Skripal

Britain names Russia as the culprit

Trump refuses to back Britian

Tillerson states unequivocally that Russia is to blame

Trump fires Tillerson

"No Collusion."   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 6

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Reports are coming out that Tillerson was fired before the weekend: 

And Congress will sit on its hands...

Yep, and it's a lie. I addressed that already knowing that would be the spin. 

If he was fired last week there's no reason to send him on a diplomatic trip to Africa.

If he was fired last week there's no reason to abruptly end that trip before it's scheduled to end. 

If he was fired last week it would have been announced 1) last Friday in Trump's typical news-burying dump, or 2) Monday when business resumed.

If he was fired last week his replacement would have been announced Monday in some kind of show.

This was clearly another Trump temper tantrum because someone didn't kowtow to Trump's constant refrain of "Russia didn't do anything wrong."

• Plus1 5
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep, and it's a lie. I addressed that already knowing that would be the spin. 

If he was fired last week there's no reason to send him on a diplomatic trip to Africa.

If he was fired last week there's no reason to abruptly end that trip before it's scheduled to end. 

If he was fired last week it would have been announced 1) last Friday in Trump's typical news-burying dump, or 2) Monday when business resumed.

If he was fired last week his replacement would have been announced Monday in some kind of show.

This was clearly another Trump temper tantrum because someone didn't kowtow to Trump's constant refrain of "Russia didn't do anything wrong."

And here's that shoe beginning to drop: 

Edited by Cdog923
  • Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Depends; Henry Kissinger was no saint, but he's still "Former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger". 

I guess the way I saw it was "Hey, you can continue on with your cushy oil exec job, making zillions of dollars or you can quit that to go work for a madman in one of the most challenging and highly scrutinized cabinet roles." 

Even if you get to put the job title on your resume, I'm not sure it'd have been worth it. 

• Plus1 2

I just got a CNN alert saying Tillerson was blindsided.

As soon as I saw it, my initial thought was basically what Knapp laid out. Tillerson spoke out definitively against Russia yesterday. There's been plenty of reports about Trump's worsening disposition inside the White House with staff exiting & continual bad news on the Mueller front & generally everywhere else.

I'm almost 100% sure he was fired for contradicting Trump. The man's got a hair trigger right now & that's about all it would take.

Of course, it's going to be difficult to parse out. This administration is chock full of liars. The only time they ever tell the honest truth is anonymously to reporters, but even then they'll lie a lot of the time.

@Cdog923 Tillerson was without a doubt the worst SOS of my lifetime. Completely ineffectual.

Edited by Clifford Franklin
  • Plus1 1
Just now, FrankWheeler said:

I would be shocked if Gina Haspel gets confirmed as CIA Director based on her past.

Does anyone know anything about her? Never heard of her.

Somewhat presumptuous but it seems to me Trump enjoys getting kudos for picking women. The GOP instagram made a story out of it the other day.

Just now, Clifford Franklin said:

Does anyone know anything about her? Never heard of her.

Somewhat presumptuous but it seems to me Trump enjoys getting kudos for picking women. The GOP instagram made a story out of it the other day.

From her Wiki page:

Haspel ran a "black site" CIA prison located in Thailand in 2002.[5][6] The site was codenamed "Cat’s Eye" and held suspected al Qaeda members Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri and Abu Zubaydah for a time. The Senate Intelligence Committee report on CIA torture specifies that during their detention at the site they were waterboarded and interrogated using no longer authorized methods.[7][8] Declassified CIA cables specify that Zubaydah was waterboarded 83 times in a month, was sleep deprived, kept in a "large box", had his head slammed against a wall and he lost his left eye. Zubaydah was deemed, by the CIA interrogators, to not be in possession of any useful intelligence (Interrogation of Abu Zubaydah).[9]

On February 2, 2017, President Donald Trump appointed Haspel deputy director of the CIA. On February 8, 2017, several members of the Senate intelligence committee urged Trump to reconsider his appointment of Haspel as Deputy Director.[12] Senator Sheldon Whitehouse quoted colleagues Ron Wyden and Martin Heinrich who were on the committee:

I am especially concerned by reports that this individual was involved in the unauthorized destruction of CIA interrogation videotapes, which documented the CIA’s use of torture against two CIA detainees. My colleagues Senators Wyden and Heinrich have stated that classified information details why the newly appointed Deputy Director is 'unsuitable' for the position and have requested that this information be declassified. I join their request.

On December 17, 2014, the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights pressed criminal charges against unidentified CIA operatives, after the US Senate Select Committee published its report on torture by US intelligence agencies.

On June 7, 2017, the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights called on the Public Prosecutor General of Germany to issue an arrest warrant against Haspel over claims she oversaw the torture of terrorism suspects. The complaint against her is centered on the case of Saudi national Abu Zubaydah.[16][17][18]

• Plus1 1