Trump Fires Tillerson For Condemning Putin/Russia

Tillerson was awful, indeed. He basically showed up, broke everything at the State Department ("restructuring"), forced out a mass exodus of our best diplomatic talent & left.

His word as a SOS was worthless because any time the president disagreed with what he said he'd hop on Twitter and let everyone know.

Adult in the room or no, the damage he inflicted on the State Department will take a long time to fix.

Based on reading I've done on Pompeo's contempt for the MO of his own CIA, he's not going to be the one doing the fixing.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Lest anyone thinks this thread is an endorsement of Tillerson, here's some perspective on one of Trump's "best people" (that he always ends up firing or driving away). It's not.

Tillerson was awful as Sec of State.  Let's be clear.

The problem is, these aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. 

• Plus1 2

The rationale for Tillerson accepting a job he didn't want is reportedly similar to John Kelly and General Mattis: they could tell Trump really needed them and thought they could be a voice of reason in an administration of novices and grandstanders.

I'm sure I don't align with these three guys politically, but they retained a bit of integrity that many in the clown car lacked. 

If they are indeed patriots with integrity, they could prove it by going public with the President's dangerous dysfunction. 

• Plus1 3

I heard Rush in the car during lunch today.  Not surprising he sees all of this as a positive.  Here is my paraphrase of what he said:

1.  Trump has a new level of confidence - as in self confidence. Trump recently said he doesn't need so many advisors.  He's good to go on his own.

2. Trump felt compelled when he was newly elected to get 'competent people' who could help him wt the learning curve. 

3. DC Insiders encouraged Trump to hire people who didn't always agree wt him but who were competent - thus Tillerson

4.  Tillerson and Trump disagreed on many things - climate change, Russia, Iran, etc

5. Trump riding the wave of confidence can now be rid of staff who don't think like him

6.  Trump can now have staff that think like him.

7.  Trump will now proceed to make decision without the encumbrance of advisors and he can rely on his own intuition and wisdom.

8. There will be greater unity in the admin with these staff changes.  (Yes men make no waves.  Yes that is how we want govt to operate :sarcasm)

I wanted to do this:facepalm:  but I was driving.    The blind hypocrisy of much of the conservative press (at least the talking heads in talk radio & Fox News) is a big reason why I may vote Dem just to reset the narrative & the structure in DC.   If the repubs in Congress or any adults in the admin (I'm looking straight at you Mike Pence - stop hiding behind that half smile/smirk and your shallow words of support) do not have enough ethical courage to do the right thing and remove this guy, then it is time to vote in Dems who will.  This is more important than our (my) pet political philosophy (economic, social, etc).  With this guy in the office, none of our political opinions or positions will matter when he is done destroying our rule of law, constitutional safe guards and traditions. 

We need a drastic reset in DC.  Every day it gets clearer and clearer.:boxosoap

:rant

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 4
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The rationale for Tillerson accepting a job he didn't want is reportedly similar to John Kelly and General Mattis: they could tell Trump really needed them and thought they could be a voice of reason in an administration of novices and grandstanders.

I'm sure I don't align with these three guys politically, but they retained a bit of integrity that many in the clown car lacked. 

If they are indeed patriots with integrity, they could prove it by going public with the President's dangerous dysfunction. 

The bold - as I note in my post above - if they are men of character - now is the time to act and not slink back into the shadows of political expediency . If they don't

how far down the road do we all look back in regret that they failed to act.  What would be said of them.  Every despot who became a despot had to overcome those men of

character at an early stage - either those men failed to act and lived to regret it  or they were silenced.  Today Trump silences people with his rudeness & ridacule and making show of those he disagrees with or firing them when possible - what about tomorrow? What greater measures will he take to silence the voices that disagrees with him? 

• Plus1 1

Washington Post

Tillerson said he received a call from Trump around noon Tuesday, more than three hours after his firing was first reported by The Washington Post and announced minutes later in a tweet from the president.

His voice quivering, Tillerson thanked career diplomats for their “honesty and integrity” and the American people for “acts of kindness,” and singled out Defense Secretary James Mattis for their partnership and mutual support of diplomacy, but notably did not thank Trump or praise his policies.

Tillerson said he will remain in his post until March 31, but is delegating all authorities for running the State Department to Deputy Secretary John Sullivan and is committed to ensuring “an orderly and smooth transition.” The deposed diplomat also made a clear statement about Russian aggression: “Much work remains to respond to the troubling behavior and actions on the part of the Russian government.”

• Plus1 2