Defensive Backs Working on Versatility

“You’ll see some safeties playing corner,” Fisher said. “You’ll see some corners playing safety in the spring.”

The idea is to create some more versatility among the defensive backs, and eventually show more disguises in the fall.

“I’m going to put some guys not used to tackling in tackling in positions, so I’ll put those guys at safety in the spring,” Fisher said. “And I’ll put some safeties not used to covering, I’ll put them out at No. 1 and teach them how to cover in the spring.”

“I don’t have boundary safeties, strong safeties, free safeties. I don’t have that, I just have safeties.”

LJS

• Plus1 1

Fisher is really big on the secondary being good tacklers. He’s brought it up in multiple interviews. Something of the effect if they’re not willing to throw their body body around they won’t play. 

So I’m looking forward to see what he can do. His position group is probably in the worst shape in regards to what each coach inherited. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like they really play guys as "defensive backs" as opposed to "safeties" and "corners".  Want guys to be able to play anywhere.  Aaron Williams was playing some corner this week even though he's a likely starter at safety.  JUCO Deontai Williams - a safety last year - working at corner, safety and nickel.

Also working on being aggressive.  Eric Lee mentioned as one who was too scared to get beat last year so he played soft.  This staff constantly after guys to be aggressive.  Also Avery Anderson has been mentioned a couple times this week.  Maybe a guy who makes strides in a different scheme.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:41 AM, HS_Coach_C said:

I expect to see that or not see him at all.  He'll either be on the sideline or transfer to another school.

That's where I'm at with him. He has all the talent in the world but man he needs to learn to be physical and tackle well.

The best D we have had in years 2009/2010, had guys who could hit in the secondary.  Granted most were drafted, but the fact remains, physical (press coverage) and guys who can tackle (hit) tend to improve the back end.......Not  a lot of receivers like to be mauled at the LOS and fight for yards before they even catch the ball.  Not a lot like the idea that we have head hunting safeties who like to lay the wood....

When opposing teams realize that on on 3rd and 4 we dont give their receivers an 8 yard cushion, it will surprise some of them......Oh, and DB's who hit and hit and hit and hit.....

• Plus1 1

Defensive backs coach Travis Fisher has begun cross-training his group as it navigates spring practices and meetings, he told The World-Herald this week. Safeties will play some cornerback and corners will play some safety. The idea is to build depth and knowledge across the positions as the new coaching staff evaluates who might fit best where.

When it works well, everyone develops a little empathy, too.

“I don’t want to let you down because I know what you gotta go through at that position over there, and vice versa,” Fisher said. “Putting those guys in situations where they understand what each other has to go through to make each play work.”

The approach also helps players later in life, Fisher said. He likes to ask his athletes if they know what role professional teams would ask them to play. If you’re not sure, why limit yourself from learning everything?

Fisher also is eliminating distinctions within a position. So if fans see some old verbiage crop up this fall, it didn’t come from him.

“I don’t call them free safeties and strong safeties — I call them safeties,” Fisher said. “I don’t call them field corner, boundary corner — I call them corners.

OWH