Huskers vs. Northwestern State - March 16-18

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

Gonna finally lose the series to Creighton this year. I can’t believe we’re watching this team get worse under Erstad. I understand pitching isn’t going to win many games this year due to all the injuries, but it’s unfathoamable how awful the bats have become. 

+1....I know everyone who posts in the baseball thread says the same thing but dang...they just flat out can't hit at all.  It's ridiculous.  Gotta think Erstad is going to be under the microscope this year.  

28 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

+1....I know everyone who posts in the baseball thread says the same thing but dang...they just flat out can't hit at all.  It's ridiculous.  Gotta think Erstad is going to be under the microscope this year.  

Yup. I really like Erstad and hope he can figure things out, but I don’t know if he and his staff are the right guys. I’m still curious if he’s coaching his guys too technically when they’re up at the plate with runners on. I understand there is a “job” to do during your AB, but I believe focusing too much on “doing your job” and moving runners becomes a mind **** because hitters need to just go up there and swing away. Turning hitters into thinkers is the best way to hurt a batting average and kill any rally. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Yup. I really like Erstad and hope he can figure things out, but I don’t know if he and his staff are the right guys. I’m still curious if he’s coaching his guys too technically when they’re up at the plate with runners on. I understand there is a “job” to do during your AB, but I believe focusing too much on “doing your job” and moving runners becomes a mind **** because hitters need to just go up there and swing away. Turning hitters into thinkers is the best way to hurt a batting average and kill any rally. 

Agree 100% there.  

23 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I don't think it's Erstad, insomuch that we still miss Will Bolt and haven't hired a suitable replacement. Link goes to 2014 article when he left. 

Erstad is great at smallball and strategy. Silva is great as a pitching coach (though we seem to be down this year, TBH), and he honestly could have a head coaching gig if he wanted. But our hitting has been suspect, and Erstad still hasn't found a suitable replacement. 

We're honestly (at best) treading water at this point, and if you include our back half of last season, we're backsliding significantly. I don't see things getting better as the season progresses. We can keep making excuses for ourselves (e.g. we're in the B1G, we can't recruit good talent) but honestly, Baseball is something we can and should be excelling at, and we're not. We should be owning the B1G, year in and year out, and we keep tripping over our d***s (sometimes tripping and still finishing first, as was the case last season). 

I'd suggest letting this season play out, but Moos needs to watch and pull the plug on this if Erstad can't salvage something from this season or we can't find a suitable upgrade for a hitting coach (or hell, see if we can get Will back). We're going the wrong direction, and I don't think we can afford apathy in any of our core sports (hell, any of our sports, period) at DoNU any longer. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 1

I whole heartedly agree and glad you brought that up about Bolt leaving. It’s more than a coincidence and he is greatly missed.

It’s not that I want and think Erstad should be out (yet), and I agree, he needs a new voice trying to help coach these kids up. A better dynamic to balance the personalities may be necessary because currently it’s just not clicking offensively. 

With all of the injuries to the pitching staff, I don’t expect much out of the season and don’t know what else a coach could do in his situation, unless that’s another issue. 

Oh well, still went in with family on club level seats for the B1G tourney and will cheer them on and enjoy the setting regardless. It’s a good prep and better bargain than the CWS a few weeks later haha

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I whole heartedly agree and glad you brought that up about Bolt leaving. It’s more than a coincidence and he is greatly missed.

It’s not that I want and think Erstad should be out (yet), and I agree, he needs a new voice trying to help coach these kids up. A better dynamic to balance the personalities may be necessary because currently it’s just not clicking offensively. 

With all of the injuries to the pitching staff, I don’t expect much out of the season and don’t know what else a coach could do in his situation, unless that’s another issue. 

Oh well, still went in with family on club level seats for the B1G tourney and will cheer them on and enjoy the setting regardless. It’s a good prep and better bargain than the CWS a few weeks later haha

You would think Erstad could at least time his success with when the B1G Tourney is in Omaha...for cryin' out loud. :D

And I don't want folks to think I want Erstad gone--I want him to succeed, but it's evident that he needs some new tricks/coaching to get this team out of the rut it's found itself in since the post-season last year. And if Moos decides to move on from Erstad, I really hope we give Bolt a serious look and offer at being our coach (though he shouldn't be the only coach we look at--we could go after Aug--oh wait...) 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 1