Cultural stuffy stuff  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I watched the dang movie once about 40 years ago. I couldn't begin to tell you anything that transpired in it. But I am pretty sure the best song was Purple Rain because duh, title of movie song name.

Same here. Seen it at the Movie Theater, but barely remember anything about it.

Edited by MLB 51
  • Plus1 1

On 3/17/2018 at 8:22 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

I watched the dang movie once about 40 years ago. I couldn't begin to tell you anything that transpired in it. But I am pretty sure the best song was Purple Rain because duh, title of movie song name.

The best song in the movie is Darling Nikki

saw it at the movie theater when it came out.  It wasn’t too bad, typical 80’s stuff

Morris and Jerome are the best thing in the movie.

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, NUinID said:

The moment where Morris is allowed to be human, just after the awful crack about "family," is one of the best parts of the whole movie.

A person too sensitive about his place in the world wouldn't have let his rival, Morris Day, have that moment of self-reflection. He'd have painted Morris as The Bad Guy, and let him walk off stage after that awful comment.  It is to Prince's credit that he left that moment in the film, letting his personal rival be, for a moment, just a person.

Everyone focuses on Lake Minnetonka because of Appollonia, or on Purple Rain because it's the focal point of the movie.  But it's that moment, and several more like it, that makes this such a great show.

Just finished it again, for the first time in maybe 20 years.  It's 80's through and through.

But it's still a great movie. 

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, knapplc said:

But it's still a great movie. 

I don't think I would go so far as to say it is a great movie, but at the time when it came out it was good.  I don't think it wears well.  It is too much of its time period.  My kids would not get it if they watched it.  Unlike other 80's movies such as Ferris Bueller or Back to the Future.  

Edited by NUinID

15 hours ago, NUinID said:

The best song in the movie is Darling Nikki

saw it at the movie theater when it came out.  It wasn’t too bad, typical 80’s stuff

Darling Nikki is a very close second to "Let's Go Crazy" for me. 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...