Cambridge Analytica/Social Media

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I listened to much of today's hearing and @BigRedBuster has a good point - a lot of things asked and spoken about today came from a position of moderate ignorance.

Now, I'm sure a lot of politicians in D.C. host hearings and ask questions so they can learn and better understand topics they don't understand. Some of things today were just ridiculous though, including a failure to understand common phrases and functions associated with Facebook.

One of my favorite parts of the hearing was when they criticized Facebook's terms of service, almost as if they're the only company that produces what equates to a small bible and ask users to read it. I bet most of the people in this country can count on one hand the number of times they've ever read a terms of service.

I listened to about a half hour and ~mostly~ the only ignorance I heard on behalf of the committee was ignorance as to the inner workings of the tech and the company, the likes of which I am similarly ignorant about. I didn't really have a problem with any of it, and I thought there were plenty of good questions asked, and good questions answered very well by Zuckerberg.

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

One of my favorite parts of the hearing was when they criticized Facebook's terms of service, almost as if they're the only company that produces what equates to a small bible and ask users to read it. I bet most of the people in this country can count on one hand the number of times they've ever read a terms of service.

There were some issues exposed about Facebook and Zuckerberg really didn't do well to ease concerns.

But, one area that I just had to roll my eyes was when they were criticizing the terms of service, they acted like it was horrible because it was too short.  Now, most (if not all) the people doing the questioning are lawyers.  Any lawyer worth a grain of salt would tell you that less is more.  Zuckerberg's answer to this was spot on.  The longer you make it, the harder it is to have it cover what you want it to cover.

Facebook is the biggest of the aggregators, but they didn't pioneer data mining and they are far from alone. 

If we are shocked by the invasion of privacy, put the entire data analytics industry on trial. Don't pretend you've solved anything by humbling Mark Zuckerberg and clucking about Russian trollbots.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Facebook is the biggest of the aggregators, but they didn't pioneer data mining and they are far from alone. 

If we are shocked by the invasion of privacy, put the entire data analytics industry on trial. Don't pretend you've solved anything by humbling Mark Zuckerberg and clucking about Russian trollbots.  

I completely agree.  This is a much bigger issue than just Facebook.  These people need to be investigating companies like Cambridge Analytica.  

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is getting play because our political affiliations were being tracked on behalf of political agendas,  but honestly everything has been tracked for years and sold to anyone who could use the information. 

That's kind of what I thought. With Facebook, we are the product not the customer.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mike Mcdee said:

That's kind of what I thought. With Facebook, we are the product not the customer.

Yeah, but it's not just Facebook. Not even close. 

Think of everything you do on the internet. The only reason it's free is because of advertising and data mining. 

You have to do a lot more than resign from Facebook to protect your privacy. 

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 years later...