Under the Radar Things You're Still Salty About

On 3/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

1978 hit against Oklahoma (Rudd hits Phelps) that was not ruled a fumble

They didn't have replay.  And now that we do, it was targeting, which today would get the player ejected for two halves,  and other team gets great field position. So in no universe ever does NU get that ball.

Not many remember but we got screwed in the first Texas game back in '99,  ultimately costing us a shot at the natty. Refs ignored a blatant clip right at the point of attack on the horn winning drive. Pretty unlikely they would have been able to overcome that flag against the D we had that year.

12 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

They didn't have replay.  And now that we do, it was targeting, which today would get the player ejected for two halves,  and other team gets great field position. So in no universe ever does NU get that ball.

Uhhh... what??

First of all, I'm guessing no one here believes in parallel universes, so that has nothing at all to do with anything. It's not what these posts are about.

2nd, if the refs pay attention then NU gets the ball. Replay isn't a requirement for the refs to make the correct call on occasion. It is wholly irrelevant whether it's targetting today and bringing that up is just weird.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 4
On 3/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, dvdcrr said:

First of all, you play by the rules in place at the time of the game, not in the future. We win 1982 Penn State and 1993  Florida State if we have replay. By the way, replay was instituted in 2004, and targeting in 2013, so there is a 9 year span where NU gets that ball. As far as targeting, this game was played when football was still a man's game. Also, it is not targeting:

1. Rudd does not leave his feet,
  2. there is no helmet to helmet contact, and
  3. the player is in no way defensless (he is running the ball up field)

This was one of the greatest hits in football history, and much of the reward was stolen by the ref. What really got me "salty" about this call was the quick whistle. Let the play go, then the refs can decide if it was a fumble. The ref was either incompetent or crooked.

Edited by MichiganDad3
  • Plus1 4

16 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

NM dvdcrr got what he deserved.....

Edited by GBRFAN
5 hours ago, lo country said:

This whole thread makes me mad!:P

Looking back, I also hated the 2011 NU vs Mich game.  The horrific play calling, the roughing the punter etc.....we lose 45-17.....Beck at his best.

Yeah but that triple option with Rex was pretty damn sweet. Urban Meyer was pretty impressed.

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Yeah but that triple option with Rex was pretty damn sweet. Urban Meyer was pretty impressed.

Agreed!  That was a thing of beauty.  Throw in Urban complementing it was sweet. (Probably thought if he could ever get Beck away from NU......)For a fleeting moment, I thought maybe Beck will get it......But it was a few more years of momentary brilliance with doldrums of incompetence.  

7 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

First of all, you play by the rules in place at the time of the game, not in the future. We win 1982 Penn State and 1993  Florida State if we have replay. By the way, replay was instituted in 2004, and targeting in 2013, so there is a 9 year span where NU gets that ball. As far as targeting, this game was play when football was still a man's game. Also, it is not targeting:

1. Rudd does not leave his feet,
  2. there is no helmet to helmet contact, and
  3. the player is in no way defensless (he is running the ball up field)

This was one of the greatest hits in football history, and much of the reward was stolen by the ref. What really got my "salty" about this call was the quick whistle. Let the play go, the the refs can decide if it was a fumble. The ref was either incompetent or crooked.

Nate Gerry got thrown out for much less.

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I think you missed the other 99% of his post.

In the old days, some calls went your way, some didn't.  Sometimes a team was the recipient of a bad call, sometimes they reaped the benefit of others' misfortune.  So, Mich dad is PO'd about this play.  What about the times NU benefitted from bad calls?  Maybe think about that and feel better.  Or go hug your goat again.  I don't give a damn.

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

In the old days, some calls went your way, some didn't.

Do you understand the point of this topic?

Maybe make your own topic if you want to talk about the times NU benefited from bad calls, or if you want to talk about how non-committal you are about the bad plays/calls that happened in past games, instead of not understanding the topic and continuing to post in it. Just an idea.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1