Under the Radar Things You're Still Salty About

15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why do you think Mack Brown "had the power" ? He was asking for more time like all coaches would do in that moment. Osborne did it in the '93 Orange Bowl and they added time back for us to attempt the field goal. FSU had started to go onto the field. They didn't have instant replay then, either. They didn't do that because Osborne "had to the power" anymore than they did it for Mack Brown.

You are arguing for adding time back on to prove Pelini shouldn't/wouldn't have ever won a conference title?

25 minutes ago, Waldo said:

You are arguing for adding time back on to prove Pelini shouldn't/wouldn't have ever won a conference title?

How the heck did you get that idea?

I'm saying the second did not get added back on because of Mack Brown's "power." That's literally the only thing I'm saying in the post you're quoting. I didn't say a thing about Pelini. I usually say what I mean in posts, and you seem to be reading into something that isn't there.

And I don't think I said in any post that Pelini shouldn't have won a title. I can think he wouldn't ever have won one while being aware of what did happen and also thinking he may have gotten screwed out of one. I've already mentioned the Texas A&M game in this topic. I just don't think the 1 second is a part of getting screwed, because it was the correct call.

Just because he got close to winning a title doesn't mean he was likely to get close to doing it again. There were things happening 2011 on that weren't happening in 2009-2010. I happen to think 2009-2010 were the best he was ever going to do, and that isn't extreme. In order to think he could have won a championship, you have to believe he could've gotten to that point again. I don't.

Edited by Moiraine

Again....the :01 is completely and utterly irrelevant BECAUSE Texas was gifted a Touchdown even though Colt McCoy was down.....on his stomach....before reaching the ball across the goal line.

So yes, Bo and the 2009 team did get screwed out of a title.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 1
Just now, Redux said:

Again....the :01 is completely and utterly irrelevant BECAUSE Texas was gifted a Touchdown even though Colt McCoy was down.....on his stomach....before reaching the ball across the goal line.

So yes, Bo and the 2009 team did get screwed out of a title.

What down was it? I don't even remember the play. I block most losses out. I remember the Texas A&M game a lot better.

Still doesn't change my opinion he wouldn't have won a title. We know he didn't win it in 2009. We know what happened in 2012 and in most big games 2011 and after.

I'm perfectly fine with changing the metric we judge a coach by. If we want it to be # of titles-screwed-out-of and then decide it's not silly to argue about Pelini vs Riley, that's cool. Pelini wins that one hands down.

On 3rd and 13 Eric Hagg got flagged for PI placing Texas at the 4.  Colt ran and "scored".  There's not one clear angle i can find of him scoring, his helmet clears the line but that's probably it.

So really, we can almost assuredly say, if not for the PI on Hagg on 3rd and 13 that Texas would have settled for 3 before the half and we would have won. 

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

I'm still salty about the entire 2017 season, never seen anything like it in the 25+ years I've been watching Husker football.  Not really under the radar,  but my goodness it was painful to watch.

Very painful, and I watched every minute of every game - BUT, it got us Scott Frost, so it's hard to be too salty about it.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

How the heck did you get that idea?

I'm saying the second did not get added back on because of Mack Brown's "power." That's literally the only thing I'm saying in the post you're quoting. I didn't say a thing about Pelini. I usually say what I mean in posts, and you seem to be reading into something that isn't there.

And I don't think I said in any post that Pelini shouldn't have won a title. I can think he wouldn't ever have won one while being aware of what did happen and also thinking he may have gotten screwed out of one. I've already mentioned the Texas A&M game in this topic. I just don't think the 1 second is a part of getting screwed, because it was the correct call.

Just because he got close to winning a title doesn't mean he was likely to get close to doing it again. There were things happening 2011 on that weren't happening in 2009-2010. I happen to think 2009-2010 were the best he was ever going to do, and that isn't extreme. In order to think he could have won a championship, you have to believe he could've gotten to that point again. I don't.

I might have been reaching on that comment. 

• Plus1 1
On 3/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, Cdog923 said:

I watched the play 3 times today; O'Hanlon might have chased him down, but it's because let the deep route behind him' there was no seam route drawing him to the middle of the field. Regardless of what West was doing, deep as the deepest. 

You know that is something else that 'CHAPS' me. Our poor balance on O vs D under Bo.  If we had the 2008 or 2010 offense with the 2009 Defense - national championship.  It seem like wt Bo were could be good with one but not with the other.  He could never get the scales to balance.  :bang

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

You know that is something else that 'CHAPS' me. Our poor balance on O vs D under Bo.  If we had the 2008 or 2010 offense with the 2009 Defense - national championship.  It seem like wt Bo were could be good with one but not with the other.  He could never get the scales to balance.  :bang

I think of that a lot too. Suh needed to be born a year later or Martinez a year earlier.

Edited by Moiraine

I thought of some more:

Aaron Green transferring to TCU, he was behind Ameer for a while but he would have been a huge stud in Lincoln.

Bubba Starling

[Not Great] Bob Diaco

The A&M Game (Bo chewing out t-magic on the sideline on national tv was not great but okay)

The Texas Game

Every Wisconsin game in the MR era 

Us not being able to return punts in ‘09 (or sometime around there when Tim Marlowe was returning punts)

Having to play Washington 2x in one season

USC in (I think) ‘07

The Melvin Gordon Game

I hope you all (strongly dis)like this list

• Plus1 1
On 3/26/2018 at 6:12 AM, Waldo said:

I'd take more of this and less of the "ah shucks, we lost again" attitude from Riley. Pelini's players respected him. Saban gets just as pissed off, but its not talked about since he wins titles. 

Agreed although towards the end it all got very old.