Austin Bombings

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

What's he's political or racial motivation? As far as I know there isn't a known motive at this time, so why would he be a terrorist? Every definition of terrorism I see involves politics. 

I don't believe a political motivation is necessary.  Maybe that's how we think of it today.  But, the goal of a terrorist is to "terrorize".  Meaning, to instill fear within a group of people.  He accomplished that.

• Plus1 3

18 U.S. Code § 2331 - Definitions

(5) the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—

(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

(B) appear to be intended—(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

• Plus1 1

I haven't read the details but if he did it for reasons of race how is it not terrorism? If he didn't say why, he did leave packages at Black and Hispanic people's houses. The sample size is too small to prove it was aimed at them, and I don't know Austin very well. If they were left at predominantly Black/Hispanic neighborhoods I would at the very least suspect race is the motive.

And it seems to me this debate doesn't happen when the perpetrator isn't White. White murderers are given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the label. If he's not a terrorist than neither is the Orlando shooter. He mentioned ISIS but no connection between him and ISIS has been found.

29570913_2338407699503528_83201033282377

Edited by Moiraine
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I haven't read the details but if he did it for reasons of race how is it not terrorism? If he didn't say why, he did leave packages at Black and Hispanic people's houses. The sample size is too small to prove it was aimed at them, and I don't know Austin very well. If they were left at predominantly Black/Hispanic neighborhoods I would at the very least suspect race is the motive.

And it seems to me this debate doesn't happen when the perpetrator isn't White. White murderers are given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the label. If he's not a terrorist than neither is the Orlando shooter. He mentioned ISIS but no connection between him and ISIS has been found.

Purely anecdotal, but...

It seems to me whenever the perpetrator is white, the question of domestic terrorism is shot down very quickly, almost out of hand. However, when they aren't, it's not necessarily called domestic terrorism, but they sure don't shoot it down as quickly. Often it's some cautious answer about how its too early to tell before all the facts are known.

This indicates to me implicit bias is at play. Maybe not necessarily THE cause but certainly a contributing factor. Most LEOs seem more comfortable ruling out domestic terrorism if it's a white person.

• Plus1 2

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But in reality, yes.  

Saying terrorism just means any ol' violent crime is like saying every crime is a hate crime.  It misses the point entirely.

No.

You can do violent crimes with the motivation to terrorize a group of people without political motivation. 

Edited by BigRedBuster