jsneb83

Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

Report: Huskers check on graduate transfer quarterback

According to an ESPN report, the Huskers have had contact with Arizona grad transfer Brandon Dawkins.

In three years with the Wildcats, Dawkins threw for 2,418 yards (56.3 percent completions), 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and also rushed for 1,582 yards and 20 scores.

• Plus1 1

Gonna be an (even more) interesting fall if we have a 5-way QB battle. I think if this guy comes Martinez redshirts. Because what Martinez has that our other current QBs might not have (not sure on that) is better running ability.

Edited by Moiraine

Depth at the most important position....what a radical concept.  Wonder if anyone else has ever tried it.

• Plus1 3

I notice that Frost's old boss Chip Kelly is also looking at this guy.

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I wish it was UofAs other qb khalil tate.

Your Frost fever seems to be going down.

With Scott Frost as his coach, he'll finally reach his full potential!

Edited by Moiraine

I'd be more than surprised if both Gebbia and O'Brien stay till the fall. 3rd stringer will bounce 

If we're giving out scholarships we dont currently actually have to give out (yet), I'd rather give to a position of greater need.

Also, I'll add that if we're in the market for a GT QB, I'd rather keep that open for Joe Burrow.  But, I'm not in charge and no one asked me.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

If we're giving out scholarships we dont currently actually have to give out (yet), I'd rather give to a position of greater need.

Maybe there isn't one of greater need.

• Plus1 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, BIG ERN said:

I'd be more than surprised if both Gebbia and O'Brien stay till the fall. 3rd stringer will bounce 

If we land a grad. transfer, I wonder if both won't bounce?  Competition is one thing, but handwriting on the wall is another. 

8 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

If we land a grad. transfer, I wonder if both won't bounce?  Competition is one thing, but handwriting on the wall is another. 

I'd be surprised if both of them left.  A grad transfer is likely only a one year solution, IF he manages to win the job. (Perhaps Burrows would have 2 years)

Both Gebbia and O'Brien have used their redshirts, so transferring means they lose a year of eligibility and possible playing time.  They would be one injury away from being the starter here.

Also, I see a grad transfer as depth and competition in order to push the other QB's, not a given that he's the starter.  I think Frost can convince Gebbia or O'Brien of the same.  There isn't a quality team in the country that they could transfer to and be handed the job - they're going to have to compete no matter what.

I would also be surprised if Frost names a leader in the QB competition before about halfway through fall camp, so they could each easily view themselves as the leader or within striking distance of winning the competition.

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I would also be surprised if Frost names a leader in the QB competition before about halfway through fall camp, so they could each easily view themselves as the leader or within striking distance of winning the competition.

I’d wait until the morning of first game to name the starter. If Frost runs practices as he states then he can probably rep at least the top 2 QBs enough that either could start. That would keep at least the top 2 QBs motivated throughout fall camp. Also players won’t learn the new offense at the same pace. As an example, Gebbia might look better initially but as O’Brien gets more reps, it becomes apparent that he is better at running the offense. I’m not expecting this, just throwing out a what if.

I much prefer waiting until year 3 to attempt to solve the problem, so I can spend the first two years complaining that I don't have the right pieces in place to run my system.

• Plus1 5

12 minutes ago, brophog said:

I much prefer waiting until year 3 to attempt to solve the problem, so I can spend the first two years complaining that I don't have the right pieces in place to run my system.

But if your offense looks outdated and bewildering at times regardless of which QB runs it, aren’t you worried the natives will get restless? Don’t you think they’ll notice?

• Plus1 1

Scott has engineered 4 straight record setting/nation leading/extremely productive/you name it QB's in his last two stops at U of O and UCF.

I think he knows what he is doing with this group, including not being done adding competition.

On March 24, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Edit: 12 ints in three years...well that's not bad actually...so yeah...maybe give him a try.

The interceptions don't bother me much, it's that 56.3% that stands out. To put that number in perspective for modern offenses, that would rank somewhere between 90th and 100th in a given year amongst qualifying QBs. It is really, really low for passers of this era.

37 minutes ago, brophog said:

The interceptions don't bother me much, it's that 56.3% that stands out. To put that number in perspective for modern offenses, that would rank somewhere between 90th and 100th in a given year amongst qualifying QBs. It is really, really low for passers of this era.

Yeah, not that great.  56.3% would have been 95th in the country last year (tied with Josh Allen from Wyoming)

He was a little better last year (61.4%) but that was against Northern Arizona, Houston, UTEP, Utah, and Arizona State with 5 TD's and 4 INT's. (+8 Rushing TD's)

Edited by HS_Coach_C

Assuming Frost anticipates Martrinez to redshirt this fall, then your QB race comes down to Gebbia and POB with a walk-on or two in the cupboard battling it out for #3.   There are few seasons when a competitive team at NU has gone through a season with only 2 QBs ready to lead the team to wins against upcoming opponents.   Therefore, we should be trying to find that 3rd QB that will be somewhat game ready come fall.  The position is 'thin' enough that Frost has already announced the QB's are basically wearing green 'jerseys to protect them from hits, a handful of scrimmages excepted.  This assumes that POB and Gebbia are capable of adequately leading the team this fall.  Neither one of them came to NU expecting to be a running QB of course and Riley showed not interest in playing them as Tanner Lee was Riley's 'ideal' guy - so we were told and apparently as was indicated by the playing time, etc.      

I'd rather he go out and find a good JUCO guy with 2 years' eligibility but perhaps this guy can fill the need.   Presumably Frost would not recruit him unless he truly believes he is capable of leading the team running his offense and winning games.   Otherwise, Frost may want to look hard at somebody already on the team at another position to move over to QB.  We have some athletes that can run reasonably well.    

Dawkins visited UCLA last weekend and has visits set to Indiana and FAU but no visit set to Nebraska yet.

So my guess would be we're always looking for options but maybe not really pursuing really hard at this point.

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

for them to have reached out to Dawkins already tells you the coaches know that it is likely one of either POB or Gebbia will be moving on after spring ball.  Not a surprise.

Edited by onlyHskrfaninIL

3 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

for them to have reached out to Dawkins already tells you the coaches know that it is likely one of either POB or Gebbia will be moving on after spring ball.  Not a surprise.

Not necessarily - I think they are just giving themselves options and adding the possibility of more competition.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

A lot of speculation on your part as to who reached out to whom.

22 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Assuming Frost anticipates Martrinez to redshirt this fall

Why are we assuming this? Don't recall an interview even suggesting that from Frost. Don't mean it won't happen, of course.

If Frost follows a plan similar to UCF, expect a lot fewer redshirts than we are accustomed to seeing, even at a position like backup QB.

29 minutes ago, brophog said:

Why are we assuming this? Don't recall an interview even suggesting that from Frost. Don't mean it won't happen, of course.

If Frost follows a plan similar to UCF, expect a lot fewer redshirts than we are accustomed to seeing, even at a position like backup QB.

because we'll be winning so many blowouts that our backups will get tons of reps :koolaid2:

21 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Not necessarily - I think they are just giving themselves options and adding the possibility of more competition.

I agree - I don't think this is necessarily about assumed attrition.

I think the real strategy here is to put their bobber in the pool just in case the competition during spring ball is less than what they're hoping. If a clear starter emerges then the need for someone like Dawkins will disappear.

6 minutes ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

So odds of adding Burrow just plummeted?  

Do you mean because he completed 80% of his passes or because he didn't play much?

On 3/24/2018 at 4:50 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Edit: 12 ints in three years...well that's not bad actually...so yeah...maybe give him a try.

There were Saturdays last season where it seemed like Lee had thrown that many in a single game. :lol:

All three QB's played for both teams and it looks like he had the best production and most attempts.  This can go two ways he either feels like he will get playing time there or he will be pissed that he isn't the starter and want to showcase these skills elsewhere - based on those numbers it's hard to say if he is what NU is looking for.

4 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

All three QB's played for both teams and it looks like he had the best production and most attempts.  This can go two ways he either feels like he will get playing time there or he will be pissed that he isn't the starter and want to showcase these skills elsewhere - based on those numbers it's hard to say if he is what NU is looking for.

Ah I didn't read the right half, heh.

I wonder, though... the rushing matters in OSU's offense, so they'll have to weight that. Burrow was 3 for 9 yards. Martell was 11 for 74. But Martell's passing was bad.

Edited by Moiraine

1 hour ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

So odds of adding Burrow just plummeted?  

Haskins will be the guy at OSU.

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Haskins will be the guy at OSU.

Completely agree.  And, even tho that is not official and we could both be wrong here, JB looked kinda pouty at times during their spring game, as if he'd already known.  I am reading tea leaves there, big time.

• Plus1 1

Even though Burrow was the better QB today, Urban will go with Haskins and make the pitch of him having a higher ceiling than Burrow as the reason. Burrow is talented and should transfer if he isn't name the starter and be a starter for another school. If he does transfer, I will cross the fingers he comes to Nebraska. He isn't going to be a perfect fit for the Frost offense, but he would be legitimately in the run for the starting job here. that would help us to redshirt Martinez so he can be fully recovered and ready to compete for playing time as a redshirt freshman. 

If he does want to transfer can Urbs restrict him from going to another B1G team? Since he is a grad transfer can he just go wherever or could he still be prevented from going to a said school? It's really interesting because he will be able to play two years since he will graduate from OSU in three. 

10 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

If he does want to transfer can Urbs restrict him from going to another B1G team? Since he is a grad transfer can he just go wherever or could he still be prevented from going to a said school? It's really interesting because he will be able to play two years since he will graduate from OSU in three. 

I don't think grad transfers need a release from their school, so he should be free to go anywhere.

• Plus1 3

23 hours ago, alohaah said:

Even though Burrow was the better QB today, Urban will go with Haskins and make the pitch of him having a higher ceiling than Burrow as the reason. Burrow is talented and should transfer if he isn't name the starter and be a starter for another school. If he does transfer, I will cross the fingers he comes to Nebraska. He isn't going to be a perfect fit for the Frost offense, but he would be legitimately in the run for the starting job here. that would help us to redshirt Martinez so he can be fully recovered and ready to compete for playing time as a redshirt freshman. 

OSU's spring game was basically of two hand touch. Haskins won the Michigan game for OSU last year so I think he has showed his worth. I like Burrow and I think he is a good QB but if he doesn't win the starting QB spot it is because the staff thinks Haskins is a better QB now. Urban said he wants to decide on the QB position within the next few weeks. If Burrow isn't named the starter, that will thankfully give him time to find another school and play next year. If the spring game was a great indicator that someone would become a star, Joe Bauserman would have started over Terrelle Pryor.  I try not to get too excited about spring game performances. 

• Plus1 1

The staff would have to feel pretty luke warm about our QB room to add a grad transfer QB after investing all the spring reps among the current group. 

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, theknife said:

The staff would have to feel pretty luke warm about our QB room to add a grad transfer QB after investing all the spring reps among the current group. 

Frost wants 5 QBs. He currently has 3 since Vedral (probably) can't play this season. If he sees a good QB out there he'll probably try to get him.

If you are a grad transfer you are going somewhere to start - not to sit around otherwise what was the point in leaving. Therefore, I am not a big fan of a transfer QB who is coming AFTER spring ball. I think that is the toughest position to get ready for in the fall if you plan on starting. Russell Wilson was able to do so, but he was also a GREAT college QB even at NC St and has proven himself in the Pros. 

18 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If you are a grad transfer you are going somewhere to start - not to sit around otherwise what was the point in leaving.

Precisely. Frost is going to struggle to find a quality grad transfer to come here unless that player is fairly confident they're going to start. The grad transfer market isn't a numbers generator for having five QB's on the roster - it's for finding a likely starter.

25 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If you are a grad transfer you are going somewhere to start - not to sit around otherwise what was the point in leaving. Therefore, I am not a big fan of a transfer QB who is coming AFTER spring ball. I think that is the toughest position to get ready for in the fall if you plan on starting. Russell Wilson was able to do so, but he was also a GREAT college QB even at NC St and has proven himself in the Pros. 

Good point. The biggest problem missing spring for a QB is that you're not prepared for the summer. Summer is a massive amount of practice reps, but not particularly useful if you don't know what to practice. These early practices have all been install and teaching base techniques so players can spend the summer refining them.