Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

8 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

If we land a grad. transfer, I wonder if both won't bounce?  Competition is one thing, but handwriting on the wall is another. 

I'd be surprised if both of them left.  A grad transfer is likely only a one year solution, IF he manages to win the job. (Perhaps Burrows would have 2 years)

Both Gebbia and O'Brien have used their redshirts, so transferring means they lose a year of eligibility and possible playing time.  They would be one injury away from being the starter here.

Also, I see a grad transfer as depth and competition in order to push the other QB's, not a given that he's the starter.  I think Frost can convince Gebbia or O'Brien of the same.  There isn't a quality team in the country that they could transfer to and be handed the job - they're going to have to compete no matter what.

I would also be surprised if Frost names a leader in the QB competition before about halfway through fall camp, so they could each easily view themselves as the leader or within striking distance of winning the competition.

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I would also be surprised if Frost names a leader in the QB competition before about halfway through fall camp, so they could each easily view themselves as the leader or within striking distance of winning the competition.

I’d wait until the morning of first game to name the starter. If Frost runs practices as he states then he can probably rep at least the top 2 QBs enough that either could start. That would keep at least the top 2 QBs motivated throughout fall camp. Also players won’t learn the new offense at the same pace. As an example, Gebbia might look better initially but as O’Brien gets more reps, it becomes apparent that he is better at running the offense. I’m not expecting this, just throwing out a what if.

12 minutes ago, brophog said:

I much prefer waiting until year 3 to attempt to solve the problem, so I can spend the first two years complaining that I don't have the right pieces in place to run my system.

But if your offense looks outdated and bewildering at times regardless of which QB runs it, aren’t you worried the natives will get restless? Don’t you think they’ll notice?

• Plus1 1

On March 24, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Edit: 12 ints in three years...well that's not bad actually...so yeah...maybe give him a try.

The interceptions don't bother me much, it's that 56.3% that stands out. To put that number in perspective for modern offenses, that would rank somewhere between 90th and 100th in a given year amongst qualifying QBs. It is really, really low for passers of this era.

37 minutes ago, brophog said:

The interceptions don't bother me much, it's that 56.3% that stands out. To put that number in perspective for modern offenses, that would rank somewhere between 90th and 100th in a given year amongst qualifying QBs. It is really, really low for passers of this era.

Yeah, not that great.  56.3% would have been 95th in the country last year (tied with Josh Allen from Wyoming)

He was a little better last year (61.4%) but that was against Northern Arizona, Houston, UTEP, Utah, and Arizona State with 5 TD's and 4 INT's. (+8 Rushing TD's)

Edited by HS_Coach_C

Assuming Frost anticipates Martrinez to redshirt this fall, then your QB race comes down to Gebbia and POB with a walk-on or two in the cupboard battling it out for #3.   There are few seasons when a competitive team at NU has gone through a season with only 2 QBs ready to lead the team to wins against upcoming opponents.   Therefore, we should be trying to find that 3rd QB that will be somewhat game ready come fall.  The position is 'thin' enough that Frost has already announced the QB's are basically wearing green 'jerseys to protect them from hits, a handful of scrimmages excepted.  This assumes that POB and Gebbia are capable of adequately leading the team this fall.  Neither one of them came to NU expecting to be a running QB of course and Riley showed not interest in playing them as Tanner Lee was Riley's 'ideal' guy - so we were told and apparently as was indicated by the playing time, etc.      

I'd rather he go out and find a good JUCO guy with 2 years' eligibility but perhaps this guy can fill the need.   Presumably Frost would not recruit him unless he truly believes he is capable of leading the team running his offense and winning games.   Otherwise, Frost may want to look hard at somebody already on the team at another position to move over to QB.  We have some athletes that can run reasonably well.    

3 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

for them to have reached out to Dawkins already tells you the coaches know that it is likely one of either POB or Gebbia will be moving on after spring ball.  Not a surprise.

Not necessarily - I think they are just giving themselves options and adding the possibility of more competition.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

for them to have reached out to Dawkins already tells you the coaches know that it is likely one of either POB or Gebbia will be moving on after spring ball.  Not a surprise.

A lot of speculation on your part as to who reached out to whom.

22 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Assuming Frost anticipates Martrinez to redshirt this fall

Why are we assuming this? Don't recall an interview even suggesting that from Frost. Don't mean it won't happen, of course.

If Frost follows a plan similar to UCF, expect a lot fewer redshirts than we are accustomed to seeing, even at a position like backup QB.