Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

29 minutes ago, brophog said:

Why are we assuming this? Don't recall an interview even suggesting that from Frost. Don't mean it won't happen, of course.

If Frost follows a plan similar to UCF, expect a lot fewer redshirts than we are accustomed to seeing, even at a position like backup QB.

because we'll be winning so many blowouts that our backups will get tons of reps :koolaid2:

21 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Not necessarily - I think they are just giving themselves options and adding the possibility of more competition.

I agree - I don't think this is necessarily about assumed attrition.

I think the real strategy here is to put their bobber in the pool just in case the competition during spring ball is less than what they're hoping. If a clear starter emerges then the need for someone like Dawkins will disappear.

• 3 weeks later...

All three QB's played for both teams and it looks like he had the best production and most attempts.  This can go two ways he either feels like he will get playing time there or he will be pissed that he isn't the starter and want to showcase these skills elsewhere - based on those numbers it's hard to say if he is what NU is looking for.

4 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

All three QB's played for both teams and it looks like he had the best production and most attempts.  This can go two ways he either feels like he will get playing time there or he will be pissed that he isn't the starter and want to showcase these skills elsewhere - based on those numbers it's hard to say if he is what NU is looking for.

Ah I didn't read the right half, heh.

I wonder, though... the rushing matters in OSU's offense, so they'll have to weight that. Burrow was 3 for 9 yards. Martell was 11 for 74. But Martell's passing was bad.

Edited by Moiraine

Even though Burrow was the better QB today, Urban will go with Haskins and make the pitch of him having a higher ceiling than Burrow as the reason. Burrow is talented and should transfer if he isn't name the starter and be a starter for another school. If he does transfer, I will cross the fingers he comes to Nebraska. He isn't going to be a perfect fit for the Frost offense, but he would be legitimately in the run for the starting job here. that would help us to redshirt Martinez so he can be fully recovered and ready to compete for playing time as a redshirt freshman. 

If he does want to transfer can Urbs restrict him from going to another B1G team? Since he is a grad transfer can he just go wherever or could he still be prevented from going to a said school? It's really interesting because he will be able to play two years since he will graduate from OSU in three. 

10 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

If he does want to transfer can Urbs restrict him from going to another B1G team? Since he is a grad transfer can he just go wherever or could he still be prevented from going to a said school? It's really interesting because he will be able to play two years since he will graduate from OSU in three. 

I don't think grad transfers need a release from their school, so he should be free to go anywhere.

• Plus1 3
23 hours ago, alohaah said:

Even though Burrow was the better QB today, Urban will go with Haskins and make the pitch of him having a higher ceiling than Burrow as the reason. Burrow is talented and should transfer if he isn't name the starter and be a starter for another school. If he does transfer, I will cross the fingers he comes to Nebraska. He isn't going to be a perfect fit for the Frost offense, but he would be legitimately in the run for the starting job here. that would help us to redshirt Martinez so he can be fully recovered and ready to compete for playing time as a redshirt freshman. 

OSU's spring game was basically of two hand touch. Haskins won the Michigan game for OSU last year so I think he has showed his worth. I like Burrow and I think he is a good QB but if he doesn't win the starting QB spot it is because the staff thinks Haskins is a better QB now. Urban said he wants to decide on the QB position within the next few weeks. If Burrow isn't named the starter, that will thankfully give him time to find another school and play next year. If the spring game was a great indicator that someone would become a star, Joe Bauserman would have started over Terrelle Pryor.  I try not to get too excited about spring game performances. 

• Plus1 1