Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

9 hours ago, theknife said:

The staff would have to feel pretty luke warm about our QB room to add a grad transfer QB after investing all the spring reps among the current group. 

Frost wants 5 QBs. He currently has 3 since Vedral (probably) can't play this season. If he sees a good QB out there he'll probably try to get him.

If you are a grad transfer you are going somewhere to start - not to sit around otherwise what was the point in leaving. Therefore, I am not a big fan of a transfer QB who is coming AFTER spring ball. I think that is the toughest position to get ready for in the fall if you plan on starting. Russell Wilson was able to do so, but he was also a GREAT college QB even at NC St and has proven himself in the Pros. 

18 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If you are a grad transfer you are going somewhere to start - not to sit around otherwise what was the point in leaving.

Precisely. Frost is going to struggle to find a quality grad transfer to come here unless that player is fairly confident they're going to start. The grad transfer market isn't a numbers generator for having five QB's on the roster - it's for finding a likely starter.

25 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If you are a grad transfer you are going somewhere to start - not to sit around otherwise what was the point in leaving. Therefore, I am not a big fan of a transfer QB who is coming AFTER spring ball. I think that is the toughest position to get ready for in the fall if you plan on starting. Russell Wilson was able to do so, but he was also a GREAT college QB even at NC St and has proven himself in the Pros. 

Good point. The biggest problem missing spring for a QB is that you're not prepared for the summer. Summer is a massive amount of practice reps, but not particularly useful if you don't know what to practice. These early practices have all been install and teaching base techniques so players can spend the summer refining them.

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Precisely. Frost is going to struggle to find a quality grad transfer to come here unless that player is fairly confident they're going to start. The grad transfer market isn't a numbers generator for having five QB's on the roster - it's for finding a likely starter.

If I was Burrow, I would look at our situation and be pretty confident. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Warrior10 said:

You think so? He'd be behind everyone else learning the offense and establishing timing with his receivers. Do you think he's talented enough to overcome that over the summer? 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You think so? He'd be behind everyone else learning the offense and establishing timing with his receivers. Do you think he's talented enough to overcome that over the summer? 

I'm more optimistic about someone like Burrow considering he was at Ohio State and has spent a couple years under Urban learning outstanding work/practice habits and playing at a place where a legitimate goal is CFP or bust.  Plus, you might get a nostalgia bump with Burrow getting the chance to play where his family has a lot of history.  Now, I fully admit that I'm a pretty big fan of Burrow and was ticked at Beck/Pelini when they didn't offer him.

I would have been far less enthused about a guy like Dawkins. 

Edited by Xmas32
23 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Well, no offense intended, but that opinion is largely unsubstantiated (assuming you're not Antman or you work for the AD, in which case, just ignore the rest of my post :lol:).

Collectively, none of us are capable of saying where these quarterbacks are at developmentally. We know they've started generating some rep separation, but does that mean Frost thinks he'll have someone by September? If he doesn't, then he will absolutely fish in the grand transfer pond. If he does, then he will be less inclined to do so.

I don't think any fan can say one way or the other, at least with some modicum of reliability.

I really don't think we need a grad transfer right now.  I like the group of Gebbia, Martinez and Bunch.  All three of these QBs are excited, working hard and have bought into their chances of leading the Huskers in the fall.

Then, all of a sudden you bring in a grad transfer that ends up starting, it could hurt the chemistry in the group.

• Plus1 2

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really don't think we need a grad transfer right now.  I like the group of Gebbia, Martinez and Bunch.  All three of these QBs are excited, working hard and have bought into their chances of leading the Huskers in the fall.

Then, all of a sudden you bring in a grad transfer that ends up starting, it could hurt the chemistry in the group.

And now, even slight chance at Vedral...

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Personally, yes.

1. He's only 3-6 months behind the learning curve. Most places he'd go he'd be 2-3 years because they aren't implementing a new offense. Also he currently runs a uptempo no huddle O, so he's use to what is currently giving our QB's (outside of Vedral) fits. I don't think he'd truely be much behind Gebbia, AMart or Bunch on the learning curve. He seems to be a very smart kid (graduating in 3 years and comes from a family that lives and breathes FB). 

2. We currently don't have an eligible QB that has taken a Div1 snap. Vedral's appeal is a longshot, I think most understand that, and those who don't are sippin on Kool-Aid. It's the NCAA it could happen, but it's doubtful. 

Of the QB's we have:

Gebbia: I think he can run this offense well, but with his frame can he be counted on to stay healthy for 12 games? Not sure. 

AMart: Both he and Frost have indicated he's only 90%. This kid is the future of our program, ideally I think we RS him and let him get 100% physically and mentally. Also he hasn't played a meaningful game since fall 2016. 

Bunch: Pretty thankful to have him on the roster to provide depth, but if he's the best QB we have we are in trouble. 

3. As far as chemistry: I think Gebbia is a total competitor, I could see him staying and battling Burrow for 2 years. In this O, you need two good QB's at all times. I think AMart will understand what I mentioned above and will be ready to compete next year as a RSFr and beyond. Bunch knows he came here to give it a shot, he'd still be doing that. Vedral is living his dream and will always be a serviceable option.

So basically, all imo, I think he'd be a terrific addition and really don't see any downsides. I'm actually blown away that there is much/any resistance.

43 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I think some of it depends on the eligibility of Vedral. Its sounding like the new rule is going to pass - in which Vedral will be immediately eligible. 

Not from what I read. Most of the new rules are centered around the student being able to transfer, but not follow his coach. But it is the NCAA.

Edited by Warrior10
  • Plus1 5