Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

3 minutes ago, jaws said:

Florida is a big name program that needs a QB and Dan Mullen coached under Meyer. 

Ya, the guy knows how to develop dual-threat qb's and Florida is coming out of a pro-style system. It would be a good place for Burrow. 

Orgeron interfered with Canada and now he's gone, replaced as OC by the TE-coach. If I'm Burrow I'm not trusting my career to those guys.

From what I've read elsewhere Frost is OK with what we have at qb and isn't looking for a grad-transfer at that position. 

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

LSU - the powerhouse QB graveyard.

I get the QB situation at LSU hasn't been great, but at least we've had a few drafted in the past few years. According to google before Tanner lee, 1992 was the last time a Nebraska quarterback was actually drafted to play quarterback.

FWIW, I'd rather Burrow come to Nebraska. We have enough drama queens that need to play down here.

12 minutes ago, kengel2 said:

I get the QB situation at LSU hasn't been great, but at least we've had a few drafted in the past few years. According to google before Tanner lee, 1992 was the last time a Nebraska quarterback was actually drafted to play quarterback.

FWIW, I'd rather Burrow come to Nebraska. We have enough drama queens that need to play down here.

No one here gives a rat's hindquarters whether Nebraska QBs have been drafted, because we ran an option offense. The draft means absolutely nothing when it comes to Nebraska QBs.

Just sayin'.

Welcome.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, kengel2 said:

This is an inaccurate comparison. Nebraska operated a power run option offense from '92 to '03, and also operated a run heavy offense from '10 to '14.

Quarterbacks getting drafted as quarterbacks has (traditionally) been a completely irrelevant topic around Nebraska.

I think Sam effectively puts words to my feelings in this article.

Before NU's spring practices commenced, I thought Burrow was a decent consideration for the Huskers. After hearing Scott Frost's thoughts on his quarterbacks, gathering intel from players and coaches and watching the spring game — well, I wrote a Monday Rewind that suggested Nebraska didn't need to pursue Burrow or any other quarterback.

Some of that was rooted in true freshman Adrian Martinez's potential. Those handful of runs in the spring game — plus what his own teammates had said throughout spring — indicated to me that a two-year stint of Burrow may not be worth what Martinez can become over that period — and, more important, what he could become with game experience.

Frost has to like how it all sets up. Two quarterbacks — in Bunch and Vedral — who are long-term guys in Lincoln, plus Gebbia and Martinez.

You weigh all that against what Burrow could provide in the short term, and it seems clear: Maybe another school, the SEC or elsewhere, would be a better fit.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This is an inaccurate comparison. Nebraska operated a power run option offense from '92 to '03, and also operated a run heavy offense from '10 to '14.

Quarterbacks getting drafted as quarterbacks has (traditionally) been a completely irrelevant topic around Nebraska.

What's funny is the passing statistics are about equal, especially in the time frames you call out(LSU vs Nebraska).

It's all good though, just funny to hear people talk about QBs going to LSU and Florida to die.

Adrian Martinez looks legit. Would be nice if Nebraska could land Burrow and let Martinez sit for a year and have his shoulder heal 100%.

27 minutes ago, kengel2 said:

What's funny is the passing statistics are about equal, especially in the time frames you call out(LSU vs Nebraska).

That's not even remotely true and a two minute stats check proves otherwise. Compare Jamie Howard and Tommie Frazier (quarterbacks from '92 to '95). The only comparable statistic is completion percentage. Otherwise, Frazier threw half as many attempts (469 to 934), ran for 1,955 yards (compared to Howard's -148), had a 43:11 TD to INT ratio (Howard was 34:47) and had a QBR of 138.1 (Howard's was 106.5).

• Plus1 2

More looking at overall after 2000. The thing about 1992 was just going back that far. Push it to 2000 or whatever and it still doesn't look good for nebraska quarterbacks.

Nebraska had 4 season of 3000 yards passing between 2001-2017. LSU has 3.

These are the overall passing records. Nothing stands out after 2000 or so.

LSU

Nebraska

1 hour ago, kengel2 said:

Can’t tell if you’re serious or not... We’ve almost always been an option attack or spread offense with QB’s with an MO of ground game, not through the air.

So yes, I’d guess an offense with more of a Pro-Style QB would have more drafted...Although we’ve had a fair amount of them get a fair shake at the NFL with at least some tryouts at other positions.

12 minutes ago, kengel2 said:

More looking at overall after 2000. The thing about 1992 was just going back that far. Push it to 2000 or whatever and it still doesn't look good for nebraska quarterbacks.

Nebraska had 4 season of 3000 yards passing between 2001-2017. LSU has 3.

These are the overall passing records. Nothing stands out after 2000 or so.

LSU

Nebraska

So then isn’t that just sort of sad for LSU?

• Plus1 3

@kengel2 That stats aren't challenging to find if you know who played and check the numbers on College Sports Reference (I'm not saying that to be snarky by the way, but it might be helpful for future discussion).

That said, you're still positing this as a 'negative' towards Nebraska while disregarding quite a few variables including offensive scheme, team success and a variety of other statistics like completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, etc. There's almost no statistical or anecdotal merit to your argument.

You're also (perhaps unintentionally) sort of making my point. LSU has consistently recruited among the best programs in the country, while a place like Nebraska last had a Top 10 recruiting class in 2005. LSU gets national criticism about their quarterback play because they recruit among the best in the country and can't find a way to develop a high level QB. Comparing that to Nebraska is basically saying, despite LSU's recruiting prowess, they perform no better than a team that averages recruiting rankings in the 20's to 30's.

• Plus1 1