Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

23 minutes ago, kengel2 said:

More looking at overall after 2000. The thing about 1992 was just going back that far. Push it to 2000 or whatever and it still doesn't look good for nebraska quarterbacks.

Nebraska had 4 season of 3000 yards passing between 2001-2017. LSU has 3.

These are the overall passing records. Nothing stands out after 2000 or so.

LSU

Nebraska

The reason LSU gets bashed for it is because they've had good and great teams in the 2000-2017 timespan. So it's funny they can't recruit QBs. During that same time period, Nebraska had it's worst stretch in modern history by far, and so nobody gives a crap that we've had QBs who aren't successful - that was just par for the course. That and, as someone else has mentioned, we for about 9 of those years from '00-'17 we once again had an option offense.

You're also ignoring the fact that we had a Heisman-winning QB who didn't get drafted and one of the best QBs in college football history who didn't get drafted, because of the type of offense they ran.

People make this NFL QB argument with us all the time, and it's ridiculous, because all we have to do is mention Tommie Frazier. So I ask you, was Tommie Frazier a bad college QB?

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

@kengel2 That stats aren't challenging to find if you know who played and check the numbers on College Sports Reference (I'm not saying that to be snarky by the way, but it might be helpful for future discussion).

That said, you're still positing this as a 'negative' towards Nebraska while disregarding quite a few variables including offensive scheme, team success and a variety of other statistics like completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, etc. There's almost no statistical or anecdotal merit to your argument.

You're also (perhaps unintentionally) sort of making my point. LSU has consistently recruited among the best programs in the country, while a place like Nebraska last had a Top 10 recruiting class in 2005. LSU gets national criticism about their quarterback play because they recruit among the best in the country and can't find a way to develop a high level QB. Comparing that to Nebraska is basically saying, despite LSU's recruiting prowess, they perform no better than a team that averages recruiting rankings in the 20's to 30's.

I'm with you, was just trying to say that you can't really say it's a place where QBs go to die of they are still getting drafted. 

And I get that y'all don't care about the NFL and the draft, but if you want to recruit with the best you better start caring. 

Anyway, won't respond to anyone else. Wasn't trying to junk up the thread with LSU talk.  Both my parents went to Nebraska and pretty much all my family is still there so I'm pretty much watching every weekend and cheering except of they play LSU.

57 minutes ago, kengel2 said:

I'm with you, was just trying to say that you can't really say it's a place where QBs go to die of they are still getting drafted. 

And I get that y'all don't care about the NFL and the draft, but if you want to recruit with the best you better start caring. 

Anyway, won't respond to anyone else. Wasn't trying to junk up the thread with LSU talk.  Both my parents went to Nebraska and pretty much all my family is still there so I'm pretty much watching every weekend and cheering except of they play LSU.

No worries kengel2 - appreciate your contributions to the board! Glad to have some outside perspective/debate around here, particularly since we're a ways out from the season.:cheers

• Plus1 2

I don’t understand the hesitation here.  Assuming we have space, Frost should do everything he can to get Burrows.  Adding a quality player, who also has family ties to the program, will only make the team stronger.  POB left, and we can replace him with Burrows — what’s not to like?

20 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

I don’t understand the hesitation here.  Assuming we have space, Frost should everything he can to get Burrows.  Adding a quality player, who also has family ties to the program, will only make the team stronger.  POB left, and we can replace him with Burrows — what’s not to like?

Unless the coaches think the QB's on the roster are better and/or adding Burrows would disrupt team chemistry. Frost brought in Vernon Adams when he was at Oregon, so he's probably got a good sense of what he wants to do here.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

I don’t understand the hesitation here.  Assuming we have space, Frost should everything he can to get Burrows.  Adding a quality player, who also has family ties to the program, will only make the team stronger.  POB left, and we can replace him with Burrows — what’s not to like?

@RedDenver brings up some good points, but I think it's worthwhile to read through Sam's article I quoted above (if you haven't already). There are a lot of reasons bringing in Burrow may not be a good idea.

I would posit that Frost isn’t in a “necessarily” win now moment.  

To me, it’s more important to BUILD than to win now, although I think we will win a fair share.  

If N was one player away (a transfer QB) from going 12-1 or something then sign away. Otherwise, just build.  Let’s take some lumps and let the players grow and bond.  

But if Frost feels like he’s one QB away from a CC or contending then go right on ahead. 

Im still at a loss.  I totally disagree with a choice not to make the team better because it may give someone less playing time.  If Martinez can’t compete with Burrows, then he’s not as good as people think he is.  Let him fight and win.  Competition makes players better.  

Let me add this:  we have 2  scholarship quarterbacks.  That’s right 2.   And people are seriously questioning whether we should bring in a premier player like Burrows?  I just don’t get it.  A situation like this is a gift.

• Plus1 6

We'd be foolish not to look into this.  Gebbia is still a concern IMO due to his size.  Can he make it through a big 10 season?  And i have the same concern with Martinez with his shoulder that is still not 100%.  Depth and competition are good things in this system.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

Im still at a loss.  I totally disagree with a choice not to make the team better because it may give someone less playing time.  If Martinez can’t compete with Burrows, then he’s not as good as people think he is.  Let him fight and win.  Competition makes players better.  

Let me add this:  we have 2  scholarship quarterbacks.  That’s right 2.   And people are seriously questioning whether we should bring in a premier player like Burrows?  I just don’t get it.  A situation like this is a gift.

You're assuming bringing him in will make the team better. What if it makes the team worse?

• Plus1 1