Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

51 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

Im still at a loss.  I totally disagree with a choice not to make the team better because it may give someone less playing time.  If Martinez can’t compete with Burrows, then he’s not as good as people think he is.  Let him fight and win.  Competition makes players better.  

Let me add this:  we have 2  scholarship quarterbacks.  That’s right 2.   And people are seriously questioning whether we should bring in a premier player like Burrows?  I just don’t get it.  A situation like this is a gift.

There is literally zero proof that Burrows is a "premier" player.  He's played mostly garbage minutes in a handful of games.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

Im still at a loss.  I totally disagree with a choice not to make the team better because it may give someone less playing time.  If Martinez can’t compete with Burrows, then he’s not as good as people think he is.  Let him fight and win.  Competition makes players better.  

Let me add this:  we have 2  scholarship quarterbacks.  That’s right 2.   And people are seriously questioning whether we should bring in a premier player like Burrows?  I just don’t get it.  A situation like this is a gift.

Respectfully, I think you're ignoring some of the facts that don't align with your viewpoint. For starters, you seem to be framing this like Burrow to Nebraska would be an obvious, done deal choice. Perhaps that's not your intent but it's an easy interpretation based on your word choice. Burrows is going to have a lot of suitors available to him including some places that aren't in a rebuild.

Frost has also said two very interesting things about Burrow in recent weeks - he said 'you think he's better than what we've got?' when asked about Burrow potentially coming here and separately stated 'if we can get by with what we've got then we don't need to muddy up the quarterback room.' He has also said on the record that he likes what they've got in the quarterback room.

Lastly, what makes Burrows 'premiere?' He has zero career starts and 39 career passes. That's only nine more than Patrick O'Brien. Using the word 'premiere' next to Burrow's name is only gross hyperbole.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, kengel2 said:

I get the QB situation at LSU hasn't been great, but at least we've had a few drafted in the past few years. According to google before Tanner lee, 1992 was the last time a Nebraska quarterback was actually drafted to play quarterback.

FWIW, I'd rather Burrow come to Nebraska. We have enough drama queens that need to play down here.

Sorry for the side note. Keithen McCant is the QB in question, went in the 12 round to the Browns, some guy name Nick Saban was their DC..... Looks like he played 3 years of Canadian ball. I was trying to figure out if he made it to the preseason but I can't find stats for the preseason that go back that far, anyone know ?

1 hour ago, RedNebraskan said:

I don't think he is coming here anyways.

I don't think Burrow is going to go to Nebraska either. I think Nebraska missed out the first time around when they didn't offer him coming out of HS. It sounds like it would have been a done deal at the time.

Burrow is a good prospect but he is still an unknown. If he lands in the right situation, I am sure he will do well. I just don't know if he will live up to the hype that is surrounding him at this moment. 

BTW, why does everyone want to add an 's' to his last name?

• Plus1 3

One minute we want him, the next we don't. Make up your damn minds, lol. Burrow wants to play NOW, just like all the QBs we currently have. I do not see HCSF adding another QB at this time based on what we've heard so far. Unless AM redshirts to allow his shoulder to heal, then maybe Burrow would be given a shot.

However, I do think Frost feels comfortable with developing Bunch, Gebbia, and Martinez. And I hate to say it but IMHO, a Martinez at 90% is better than Gebbia at 100% not to mention, we've also forgotten about Matt Masker.

26 minutes ago, jaws said:

I don't think Burrow is going to go to Nebraska either. I think Nebraska missed out the first time around when they didn't offer him coming out of HS. It sounds like it would have been a done deal at the time.

Burrow is a good prospect but he is still an unknown. If he lands in the right situation, I am sure he will do well. I just don't know if he will live up to the hype that is surrounding him at this moment. 

BTW, why does everyone want to add an 's' to his last name?

Some people can't even get legendary Husker's names right.  Peters (instead of Peter), Winstrom (instead of Wistrom), Davidson (instead of Davison)... the list goes on.  So how can we expect to get it right with another team's player?

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Respectfully, I think you're ignoring some of the facts that don't align with your viewpoint. For starters, you seem to be framing this like Burrow to Nebraska would be an obvious, done deal choice. Perhaps that's not your intent but it's an easy interpretation based on your word choice. Burrows is going to have a lot of suitors available to him including some places that aren't in a rebuild.

Frost has also said two very interesting things about Burrow in recent weeks - he said 'you think he's better than what we've got?' when asked about Burrow potentially coming here and separately stated 'if we can get by with what we've got then we don't need to muddy up the quarterback room.' He has also said on the record that he likes what they've got in the quarterback room.

Lastly, what makes Burrows 'premiere?' He has zero career starts and 39 career passes. That's only nine more than Patrick O'Brien. Using the word 'premiere' next to Burrow's name is only gross hyperbole.

Maybe you missed my earlier post, but I talked about Frost doing everything he could to get Burrow. He would be hard to get, but my point is we should try to do whatever we can.  Just like we would with any recruit.

Second, obviously Frost is going to defend and praise his current players.  That’s what a good coach does.  That doesn’t mean you ignore the potential of getting a very good player.  

Third, yes, we cannot know exactly how good he is, but he got solid offers, was highly ranked out of high school, and is/was second string at OSU.  (And if you think OSU backups QBs are not good, just look at their recent history.  I’d say their backups are better then most starting qbs in college football).  So, yes, I would take the “gamble” on him.

2 hours ago, Dagerow said:

Maybe you missed my earlier post, but I talked about Frost doing everything he could to get Burrow. He would be hard to get, but my point is we should try to do whatever we can.  Just like we would with any recruit.

Second, obviously Frost is going to defend and praise his current players.  That’s what a good coach does.  That doesn’t mean you ignore the potential of getting a very good player.  

Third, yes, we cannot know exactly how good he is, but he got solid offers, was highly ranked out of high school, and is/was second string at OSU.  (And if you think OSU backups QBs are not good, just look at their recent history.  I’d say their backups are better then most starting qbs in college football).  So, yes, I would take the “gamble” on him.

Woah, woah, woah - Burrow's prowess as a backup at tOSU in consideration with his high school offer list is nowhere near enough to consider him a "very good player." He's a solid transfer quarterback candidate. Saying anything else is preposterous.

Furthermore, Burrow is not looking for a place to compete. He's looking for a place to start, so the only reasons he comes here are if a) Frost actually doesn't like his options at QB and b) Burrow is all but told he's the starter. How do you think that's going to go over with the team in year one? Right or wrong, the move to bring in Burrow will be seen as a move to bring in a starter, and this would follow months of listening to Frost's mantra about 'earning your spot.' Maybe Frost has prepared the team for it but maybe he hasn't. It's an important thing to consider.

Exploring Burrow is a wise option but I think any other narrative is pretty disingenuous.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Woah, woah, woah - Burrow's prowess as a backup at tOSU in consideration with his high school offer list is nowhere near enough to consider him a "very good player." He's a solid transfer quarterback candidate. Saying anything else is preposterous.

Furthermore, Burrow is not looking for a place to compete. He's looking for a place to start, so the only reasons he comes here are if a) Frost actually doesn't like his options at QB and b) Burrow is all but told he's the starter. How do you think that's going to go over with the team in year one? Right or wrong, the move to bring in Burrow will be seen as a move to bring in a starter, and this would follow months of listening to Frost's mantra about 'earning your spot.' Maybe Frost has prepared the team for it but maybe he hasn't. It's an important thing to consider.

Exploring Burrow is a wise option but I think any other narrative is pretty disingenuous.

So you’re saying he’s a “solid transfer quarterback candidate,” but it’s preposterous for me to call him a “very good player.”  Ever think your arguing to just argue.    

Next, you assume that Frost will agree to and offer him the starting spot while recruiting him.  I’m not making that assumption, as it’s ridiculous.  You recruit him and point out that we have only 2  scholarship players - one who is a pro style qb with no collegiate experience, and the other is a true freshman who hasn’t played in a year and isn’t fully recovered.  Then you put in a tape of highlights in Frosts offense, and get excited a the possible of running that offense.  Let his Nebraska connection speak for themselves.  

Lastly, you say “[e]xploring Burrow is a wise option” but my belief that we should aggressively go after him “is pretty dangerous.”  Um ok.  

It would be a lot easier if look at my statements and not assume anything crazy associate with them.  Just assume I think Burrow is a good player and a good addition to the team.  That’s about it.  You can disagree, and I understand that, it’s not that big a deal.  It’s just a Nebraska board discussion.

10 hours ago, Dagerow said:

Not fully sure why people think Burrow is a Premiere player. Played 7 total games at Ohio State and never started.

I get he was a top 300 guy out out highschool and had that hype but Premiere?

He has potential and while I am not against getting the best player in, I also think that if Burrow comes in it is because he was promised something. He is not going to transfer from one bench to another. 

I get the whole "He would have to earn it" but I just dont think that is likely. 

Wait and see but I just dont think its all that cut and dry.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Dagerow said:

So you’re saying he’s a “solid transfer quarterback candidate,” but it’s preposterous for me to call him a “very good player.”  Ever think your arguing to just argue.    

I think there's a pretty big difference between considering someone a solid transfer quarterback and calling someone a 'very good player' but alas, I agree, it's not worth it to argue semantics.

Next, you assume that Frost will agree to and offer him the starting spot while recruiting him.  I’m not making that assumption, as it’s ridiculous.  You recruit him and point out that we have only 2  scholarship players - one who is a pro style qb with no collegiate experience, and the other is a true freshman who hasn’t played in a year and isn’t fully recovered.  Then you put in a tape of highlights in Frosts offense, and get excited a the possible of running that offense.  Let his Nebraska connection speak for themselves.

I think you fail to acknowledge or see Burrow's position here - he's leaving tOSU because Meyer won't guarantee him the starting job. He's not going to go to Nebraska to compete for a spot when he could just stay at tOSU and do that. He's going to go to a place where he either knows he will get the job or is all but assured he's going to get it. That seems like one of our bigger disconnects here.

Lastly, 

you say “[e]xploring Burrow is a wise option” but my belief that we should aggressively go after him “is pretty dangerous.”  Um ok.

All I'm saying here is that Frost is probably going to do his due diligence or already has on Burrow, but there's a pretty big difference between thinking about upgrading your car and going to the dealership to haggle. Catch my meaning? Plus, what if Frost truly does like what he has, assuming he's not lying or using coach speak? Then this whole conversation is for naught.

It would be a lot easier if look at my statements and not assume anything crazy associate with them.  Just assume I think Burrow is a good player and a good addition to the team.  That’s about it.  You can disagree, and I understand that, it’s not that big a deal.  It’s just a Nebraska board discussion.

I'm not sure what you mean here unless you're taking my disagreement with you personally, which you shouldn't be. Like you said, it's a message board discussion and we're discussing.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Not sure why this is even up for debate. We have two - if not three - solid QBs on our roster, and hopefully will add another with this recruiting class. No need to muddy the waters by bringing in an unproven transfer. The guys we have already on our roster have shown just as much promise as Burrow.

Right. 1 or 2 Qbs in this class, plus Vedral. Makes little sense to bring another short term option unless you feel it's immediately necessary.