Stormy Daniels vs. The Donald

10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Except my understanding is that priviledge goes out the window if the lawyer helped facilitate a crime.

I believe this is why we are here. Trump thinks attorney-client privilege is an all encompassing umbrella that keeps him safe and uses lawyers to hide all his conversations, papers, and misdeeds. Cohen is probably caught in the investigation and is up for investigation.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article181133596.html

His real estate dealings were described in a McClatchy story published Wednesday that detailed how he parlayed purchases of the four Manhattan buildings for $11 million in 2011 and 2012 into cash sales totaling $32 million in 2014. The properties’ values, as estimated by New York County tax assessors, had shown little change. Cohen bought one of the buildings for $2 million and sold it for $10 million three years later.

Experts said earlier that the sales might be legitimate, but that they also could draw attention from authorities because they were all-cash deals; the sales prices of the properties exceeded their assessed values substantially, in some cases; and the buyers were limited liability corporations whose owners are not identified in public documents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/us/politics/donald-trump-ukraine-russia.html?_r=0

Mr. Flynn is gone, having been caught lying about his own discussion of sanctions with the Russian ambassador. But the proposal, a peace plan for Ukraine and Russia, remains, along with those pushing it: Michael D. Cohen, the president’s personal lawyer, who delivered the document; Felix H. Sater, a business associate who helped Mr. Trump scout deals in Russia; and a Ukrainian lawmaker trying to rise in a political opposition movement shaped in part by Mr. Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort.

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

And here we have it folks: "New specifics on Trump attorney Cohen: He is being investigated for possible wire and bank fraud, campaign finance violations, according to a person familiar with the case."

But not collusion /s

No - which is I'm sure part of why it was passed along from Mueller to the NY DA.   I don't think they'll find Trump himself necessary colluded, but there will be several other charges he'll face I'm sure, including money laundering, etc.

Edit: his attempts to cover up stuff is going to be what gets him strung up.

Edited by NM11046
  • Plus1 1

Looks like we're getting pretty squarely into Real Americans vs. Enemies of the State territory here...

^^^ This from the guy that still hasn't divested from his company, threatened Panama as the president over a business deal and still hasn't shown us his tax returns.

:dunno

Edited by Clifford Franklin
  • Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think it was passed to the NY DA so Trump can't pardon Cohen. A presidential pardon only covers federal crimes. Trump can't pardon State crimes.

I don't think we can assume that because the NY DA was involved that it's a pure state case.  There was some speculation that scale needed to execute at multiple locations, and expertise in NY was why they were tapped. It only means for sure that the NY Grand Jury was used to ok the raid instead of the Virginia or DC Grand Jury.  (I could be totally off on this, I've been reading about 987 experts' thoughts on this, all of which are working with limited knowledge of all the details).

If you're right though Knapp, it really give Cohen reason to cooperate w/Mueller, if he knows Don can't get him off.  Nice chess move by Mueller.

Oops. More news. 

I'm olde enough to remember when Trump complained Clinton couldn't be trusted because Wall Street paid her to speak. Once again, the emperor has no clothes.

Interesting twist: The person who solicited the $150K payment was none other than the President's personal lawyer and freshly raided Michael Cohen.

• Plus1 1