Stormy Daniels vs. The Donald

This is a pretty amazing summary and insight into Trump's mental/emotional condition in the midst of this.  Almost Amendment 25 worthy - and to think this guy has his finger on the nuclear button and we have the Syria response & will soon negotiating wt NK.  By the way not hearing much from Pence in the midst of all of this.  His quietness is deafening. 

https://www.axios.com/trump-reaction-cohen-mueller-raid-4de566f7-2b18-4419-a689-69ec81666ffc.html

I underlined a few statements that really caught my attention:

• Until now, when storms hit, Trump could turn to Hope Hicks to explain things to him, suggest wording, simmer him down. With her departure from the White House, we saw the president working out his fury in real time.
    • The source continued: "This is the first crisis post-Hope Hicks. ... This was different: I've never seen him like this before. ... This is the president you're going to see more of from here on out: unvarnished, untethered."
    • Another source close to Trump said: "He takes the Russia stuff as a political hit job. This was a personal affront. This was the red line" of intrusion into personal financial matters.
  •  

• During the 10-minute rant, Trump ...

• ... used "disgrace" seven times and "disgraceful" twice.
    • ... fumed about an action by agents of the government he heads: "I just heard that they broke into the office of one of my personal attorneys — a good man. ... It's a total witch hunt."
    • ...accused those agents of his government of "an attack on our country, in a true sense. It's an attack on what we all stand for."
    • ... said, repeating back a question: "Why don't I just fire Mueller? ... Well, I think it's a disgrace what's going on. We'll see what happens. But I think it's really a sad situation when you look at what happened. And many people have said, 'You should fire him."
    • ... referred to the investigation as "the most conflicted group of people I've ever seen. The Attorney General made a terrible mistake ... when he recused himself.  ... [W]e would have ... put a different Attorney General in."
    • ... quadrupled down on firing FBI Director James Comey: "One of the things they said: 'I fired Comey.'  Well, I turned out to do the right thing, because if you look at all of the things that he's done and the lies, and you look at what's gone on at the FBI with the insurance policy and all of the things that happened — turned out I did the right thing."
    • Be smart: Close aides are recommending against firing Mueller. But that means little these days.

The big, surreal picture: Take a minute to think about the history unfolding before our eyes. You have the president’s top lawyer getting raided by the FBI, prompting the president to warn of an epic attack on government and signaling he might try to can the special counsel investigating him.

• This is on the eve of the arguably most powerful and well known CEO of our generation getting grilled by Congress, in part because the Russians used his platform to try to elect the man at the center of it all.
    • History books will be written about this — and you were there to see it all unfold.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This is a pretty amazing summary and insight into Trump's mental/emotional condition in the midst of this.  Almost Amendment 25 worthy - and to think this guy has his finger on the nuclear button and we have the Syria response & will soon negotiating wt NK.  By the way not hearing much from Pence in the midst of all of this.  His quietness is deafening. 

https://www.axios.com/trump-reaction-cohen-mueller-raid-4de566f7-2b18-4419-a689-69ec81666ffc.html

I underlined a few statements that really caught my attention:

•  
  •  

Taken out of context, it all just seems so surreal. But then factor The Donald into the equation, and it's just another episode of "Chaos at 1600". 

Kellyanne's husband not exactly a Trump fan.  Interesting to read his take on the lawyer/client privilege.  2nd link - two others who think Trump is going overboard

on his accusations. 

https://www.mediaite.com/online/kellyanne-conways-husband-retweets-post-comparing-trump-to-nixon/

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-christie-and-dan-abrams-fact-check-trump-attorney-client-privilege-is-not-dead/

On the way to a business lunch today, I thought I'd turn on Rush to see what he said about it all.  He floated this rather strange idea:

1.  Mueller has nothing on Trump - no collusion in the Russia issues

2. Therefore Mueller had Trump's lawyer's office raided

3.  The raid will force Trump's hand - he will fire Sessions, etc - appoint a new AG

4.  Tell new AG to fire Mueller

5.  Then the Mueller team will have their case against Trump - obstruction.

6.  He will get impeached for firing Mueller.

7. Impeachment gets rid of Trump the goal of all of this.  This being: The investigation looking for a crime. 

So basically his theory is that that Mueller will sacrifice himself for the good of the deep state, establishment team. He will do an act that force's Trump's hand to fire him.  The Congress then impeaches Trump.  And the deep state gets what they couldn't get via collusion- they get rid of Trump.  Now the establishment can go on its merry way wtout Trump in the way.

So if you can follow that bouncing ball you get a A+ for today. :thumbs

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Not sure which thread to put this in, so I'll just put it here. Ken White (of Popehat fame) has an op-ed in the NYT about how the FBI getting a search warrant for Trump's lawyer Cohen, is a big deal:

Why the F.B.I. Raid Is Perilous for Michael Cohen — and Trump

Amazing article. 

I will summarize the final 2 paragraphs copied below:    Trump is Toast

But consider this: The Stormy Daniels payout may be outside the scope of the Russia investigation, but it’s possible that Mr. Cohen’s records are full of materials that are squarely within that scope. And the law is clear: If investigators executing a lawful warrant seize evidence of additional crimes, they may use that evidence. Thus Mr. Trump and Mr. Cohen, with their catastrophically clumsy handling of the Daniels affair, may have handed Mr. Mueller devastating evidence.

It’s easy to conclude that after so many bombshells, this is just another overfrantic news cycle. It’s not. It’s highly dangerous, and not just for Mr. Cohen. It’s perilous for the president, whose personal lawyer now may face a choice between going down fighting alone or saving his own skin by giving the wolves what they want.

• Plus1 1

Nixon's first Watergate speech.   He denies knowledge of Watergate and other associated crime.  It is then that Nixon knew John Dean had the goods on him and was going

to spill the beans.  It seems to me that yesterday was a defining - historical moment in the Trump admin for similar reasons.  I believe that the raid of Trump lawyer's office

will cause the 'beans to spill' one more time.  I think Trump knows this as well as demonstrated in his rage over the issue.

45 years ago this occurred:

April 30, 1973: Nixon's top White House staffers, H.R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman, and Attorney General Richard Kleindienst resign over the scandal. White House counsel John Dean is fired.

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Amazing article. 

I will summarize the final 2 paragraphs copied below:    Trump is Toast

Isn't this exactly what happened when Oscar Meyer Weiner's computer had Clinton e-mails on it? They didn't raid him for that purpose but were able to look into it.

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I don't understand - taking orders from whom?    It is true that he has to limit his investigation to Russia and the campaign. 

If I understand the sequence of events correctly, Mueller may have arrived at a conclusion that there was probable cause to believe Cohen did something illegal. Possibly multiple things. 

If he believed it to be outside of the scope of his investigation, he could refer it to other federal authorities... i.e., the US Atty for the Southern District of New York (Trump's home base) or the DOJ. 

They reported today that the Trump-appointed US Atty for SDNY has recused himself from the matter.

It's also being reported that Rod Rosenstein himself signed off on the raid. That means it appears Mueller found Cohen did something illegal and referred the matter to DOJ, who authorized the raid. Alternatively, the FBI simply found evidence of Cohen breaking the law on their own.

Either way, Mueller appeared to have followed proper protocol to a T. Trumpworld is apparently incensed and believes he overstepped the scope of his investigation. I'm not sure how anyone with a working brain could look at this sequence of events and believe that. Their bias is betraying them.

• Plus1 5
20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Kellyanne's husband not exactly a Trump fan.  Interesting to read his take on the lawyer/client privilege.  2nd link - two others who think Trump is going overboard

on his accusations. 

https://www.mediaite.com/online/kellyanne-conways-husband-retweets-post-comparing-trump-to-nixon/

That has to make conversation at the dinner table a little interesting.

4 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I'm not sure how anyone with a working brain could look at this sequence of events and believe that.

The team mentality is huge right now. People don't care about right and wrong anymore, they want their team to win.

• Plus1 5
56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That has to make conversation at the dinner table a little interesting.

Yes I was thinking about it --- maybe she tells him all of 'the stuff at the office' and he becomes the outsider with the inside connection leaker.  The Trump admin hasn't been able to close down leaks -- This guy is no fan of Trump it appears ... so maybe loose lips from Trump's advisor sinks his ship