CFN: 2018 Spring Rankings And Lookaheads

4 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

No, I used Oregon to disprove your notion that 5 stars and a higher recruiting ranking means they have more speed. I didn't say they weren't recruiting speed or that they were slow. I said Nebraska got really fast in a short period of time and made that the emphasis in the recruiting class. Three JC players are really fast on tape. Miles Jones is breaking records in FL. JD and Tyjon can burn. Did I make anything up? Generally? I understand, but that doesn't provide any more evidence. 

2 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I hear the crow is best served in the fall. 

I don't think either of us were saying Nebraska won't be good.

We were disagreeing with your statement "Nobody in our conference has the plethora of speed we have."

I posted 40 times from OSU players and the NEB players I could find - so far that's the only hard evidence we have. (your opinion and "fast on tape" aren't much evidence)

If you look above your first post in this thread, we both commented on how Nebraska's speed will probably surprise this year.

6 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I don't think either of us were saying Nebraska won't be good.

We were disagreeing with your statement "Nobody in our conference has the plethora of speed we have."

I posted 40 times from OSU players and the NEB players I could find - so far that's the only hard evidence we have. (your opinion and "fast on tape" aren't much evidence)

If you look above your first post in this thread, we both commented on how Nebraska's speed will probably surprise this year.

No I understand. I just don't take a back seat to them because of stars. Sometimes I see that Nebraska fans have a tendency to undersell their team to avoid embarrassment or a let down. Nebraska's roster improved tremendously in 4 months. Speed was infused by an insane amount. They will surprise everyone. 

Edited by Vince R.
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Maybe, but it's more proof than you have for the 7 guys you listed for Nebraska

Did some research for you:

Tyjon had a 4.50 out of high school

J.D. was 4.45

Mike Williams = 4.37

Jaron Woodyard = 4.3 ??

Greg Bell = ??

Miles Jones = 4.62

Washington = ??

11 guys do not run 4.4 40s on the OSU football team. The NFL combine had 15 total this year that were under 4.40, 3 of which were on offense. While I think Vince is pumping a little sunshine, I'll take someone who watches film over some HS/college hand held 40 times. It would seem that we are somewhere in the 3 to 5 BIG range for offensive team speed. 

FYI, Ward ran 4.32, Baker ran 4.53, and Webb ran 4.62 at the combine. That's an average of .15 seconds too fast. (Not the most accurate S.D.)

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, Waldo said:

11 guys do not run 4.4 40s on the OSU football team. The NFL combine had 15 total this year that were under 4.40, 3 of which were on offense. While I think Vince is pumping a little sunshine, I'll take someone who watches film over some HS/college hand held 40 times. It would seem that we are somewhere in the 3 to 5 BIG range for offensive team speed. 

FYI, Ward ran 4.32, Baker ran 4.53, and Webb ran 4.62 at the combine. That's an average of .15 seconds too fast. (Not the most accurate S.D.)

I understand that, but that's similar to him saying Woodyard has 4.2 speed.  I also watch plenty of film, and Nebraska will have plenty of talent and speed next year, but not fastest in the Big Ten speed.  I agree with you, probably top 3-5.

2 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I hear the crow is best served in the fall. 

I already said Nebraska is faster than people think. I'm just not drinking the number of gallons of kool aid required to think that over night we became faster than Ohio State. A couple more years of Frost recruiting and we might match Ohio State's speed.

29 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

So, wins against Purdue, Iowa, and Northwestern will all be considered upsets, right?

Iowa wouldn't feel like one to me, but considering the past few years, it probably would seem like it to other people.

Edited by Moiraine
2 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I understand that, but that's similar to him saying Woodyard has 4.2 speed.  I also watch plenty of film, and Nebraska will have plenty of talent and speed next year, but not fastest in the Big Ten speed.  I agree with you, probably top 3-5.

I have seen two guys run a legit 4.2 40 time 5 yards away from me. When I watch Jaron Woodyard run, I see that exact same speed. It's disgusting how fast he is and probably can be. You know when you see it. 

This part isn't directed towards you but tOSU doesn't have anyone below 4.3. Most are probably 4.45 to 4.6. Their Rb isn't that fast either. His speed is average but his wiggle is really good. Thats it. Those fake times were for recruits. It is sad that tOSU actually does that. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Are we really that slow, slow, and more slow?  While we looked and played slow last year, I'm not convinced our speed is really behind the top dogs of the B1G. 

Nebraska has speed to complete with anyone in the country.

Having "speed" is all about perception.  When players look "fast" it is usually because they're well coached and they play hard.  And we're going to see it this season. 

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I have seen two guys run a legit 4.2 40 time 5 yards away from me. When I watch Jaron Woodyard run, I see that exact same speed. It's disgusting how fast he is and probably can be. You know when you see it. 

This part isn't directed towards you but tOSU doesn't have anyone below 4.3. Most are probably 4.45 to 4.6. Their Rb isn't that fast either. His speed is average but his wiggle is really good. Thats it. Those fake times were for recruits. It is sad that tOSU actually does that. 

You're talking hand timed?

2 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

You're talking hand timed?

No laser. When I worked for Cerritos College, we had gone under a complete field and facility renovation. Once we did, we became not only the home field for Servite HS but we also became a neutral site for the CIF playoffs and a camp site. We invested in multiple performance lasers to accommodate all of these changes. 

Anyway, two kids from the south came in when we were having tryouts. Both ran their 40s and one hit a 4.2 flat and the other ran a 4.26. Everyone had that look on their face like we just watched two olympic runners show off. It was very impressive. Both did not pan out. Very rarely do you see many kids running a 4.45, let alone that kind of speed. The only disadvantage I would say is that we have to do this outdoors. 

Edited by Vince R.
  • Haha 1

In addition, we had a Nike camp at our field and many of the "recruiting coordinators" and "directors" insisted for us to not use our lasers. We asked them why not and they said that they did not prefer it. We all knew why and it is because they get paid to exaggerate these kids ability. The reality is that these skill players run closer to a 4.7 than they do a 4.3. Watching lineman run is funny too because they run closer to 5.7 than they do 4.9. 

Edited by Vince R.
  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1