With limited media coverage of practice...

5 minutes ago, ADS said:

Adam Carriker word vomit was pretty funny.  Those Carriker chronicles and his “gut reactions” are kind of cringey.

I don't think I have ever listened to him.  I know Dr. Rob Z has a podcast, I have heard it once or twice but it is sort of boring.

I like the HOL podcast, Callahan has done a nice job for himself.

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Whose asking the questions. 

There are also also stories to be written that aren’t found in press conferences. 

Thars an an area that Dirk shines in. 

Men's room stalls, dark alleys next to bars named "the Manhole", some other areas Dirk shines in. 

The new guy at the Lincoln paper seems to be the only one without a chip on his shoulder and doesn't seem to get butt-hurt over all this access crapola- most of the OWH guys? They only want to bring up how Pelini ruined all things related to Nebraska football and tell us how great of a guy Riley was. Add trying to undermine Frost to that list.

• Plus1 1

I think some of the writers are a little turned off at the early morning practice times...

I also think some of the writers like doing a bit of "oh yeah I totally knew about that but just didn't bring it up" ism...

Like the famed "hotel basement" story with Bo...Has there every been a story where more people "saw it" happen and "knew" about it but yet...never talked about it until later.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ADS said:

Adam Carriker word vomit was pretty funny.  Those Carriker chronicles and his “gut reactions” are kind of cringey.

OMG, yes, and they've practically taken over the sports sections in the H-Town Tribune.  Everyone drop everything, Adam has another rehashed and/or generically obvious thought on something.  

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, NUinID said:

I don't have a problem with the limited access.  I think Sam has somewhat lost his way in his reporting anyway.  I would imagine the media will get to watch some of the first scrimmage that they will have when ever that is and they will just have to be happy with that.  

Sam was a lot, lot better when he was in GI or writing for his own blog. 

• Plus1 2

Adam Carriker is living out his dream of talking Husker football while playing a wrestling character. I can't fault him for it, because he's clearly found an audience to the point where he's in multiple publications in the state with his schtick. That being said, I don't follow it, and I wish it didn't take up so much cache in the OWH that it pushes other coverage out. 

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Adam Carriker is living out his dream of talking Husker football while playing a wrestling character. I can't fault him for it, because he's clearly found an audience to the point where he's in multiple publications in the state with his schtick. That being said, I don't follow it, and I wish it didn't take up so much cache in the OWH that it pushes other coverage out. 

+1  Jason Peter should take some notes from what Carriker is doing, it would help him in a media sense as they're essentially saying the same thing.  The only difference is Peter comes across like a stark raving madman and Carriker come across like a milquetoast former athlete with banal insight. 

Edited by Xmas32

1 hour ago, Whistlepig said:

Men's room stalls, dark alleys next to bars named "the Manhole", some other areas Dirk shines in. 

The new guy at the Lincoln paper seems to be the only one without a chip on his shoulder and doesn't seem to get butt-hurt over all this access crapola- most of the OWH guys? They only want to bring up how Pelini ruined all things related to Nebraska football and tell us how great of a guy Riley was. Add trying to undermine Frost to that list.

I love a good Dirk bash as much as the next person.  That being said, he's far and away the best columnist the OWH (and probably the state) has.  His long form pieces and non Husker football related stuff is usually pretty excellent.  His article about the Kansas basketball friends with one of them dying of cancer was gut wrenching, thought provoking and beautiful.

• Plus1 4
9 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

+1  Jason Peter should take some notes from what Carriker is doing, it would help him in a media sense as they're essentially saying the same thing.  The only difference is Peter comes across like a stark raving madman and Carriker come across like a milquetoast former athlete with banal insight. 

anigif_enhanced-2346-1441750927-2.gif

• Plus1 5
32 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Sam was a lot, lot better when he was in GI or writing for his own blog. 

Completely agree, when he was doing a blog on the game that week it was a very good read.  It is a power thing for sure, but It is probably a lot tougher to come up with stuff to write about every day.  

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Also... Sam has been going from one of my favorites (when he wasn't at the OWH), to less liked. He was a "toxic culture" excuse maker for Riley's tenure, and even up until late last season, was trying to pin things on the previous staff.

Hey Sam, maybe, just maybe it wasn't "sabotage" against the program. Maybe, the fact that most everyone didn't like Shawn "Bob Diaco's the greatest coach at the school" Eichorst, was because he shouldn't have been here, and they were trying to save the program from being run further into the ground.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know, I totally agree with this.  Clearly SE was a dork and sounds like a super pain in the ass type of boss, it makes sense that when people that worked for/with him had a chance to s#!t on him that they did.