With limited media coverage of practice...

49 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I love a good Dirk bash as much as the next person.  That being said, he's far and away the best columnist the OWH (and probably the state) has.  His long form pieces and non Husker football related stuff is usually pretty excellent.  His article about the Kansas basketball friends with one of them dying of cancer was gut wrenching, thought provoking and beautiful.

You're right Dirk is very good at the long form piece.  It is his shorter stuff that could be very vindictive.  He really didn't like BP and it came out in his writing.  

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, NUinID said:

You're right Dirk is very good at the long form piece.  It is his shorter stuff that could be very vindictive.  He really didn't like BP and it came out in his writing.  

I'm really, honestly surprised Dirk hasn't moved on to a national publication yet. His style of writing seems to be perfect for some place like The Atlantic. 

Edited by Cdog923

22 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I think Sam is already upset about it.  Makes their jobs harder, but I like it.

I'm usually behind the things Sam writes/says but I think he's pretty far off on this.

I think a more open approach to practice is bad at programs like Nebraska, Alabama or tOSU, where the craze and hunger for news is insatiable. If anything, it creates more hype and less substance. It also breeds a lot of difficult to digest information. Last year was a prime example: we had reporter after reporter talking about what they were seeing in practice, good plays made by certain players, other players struggling with things, etc. It built up a sense that last year's Nebraska team was going to pretty good and had finally figured a lot of things out. The exact opposite was true.

But, most importantly, I think Frost said it best: players at this level shouldn't be afraid to fail. Dozens of media members camping out on the practice field, sending tweets about good plays and bad plays in practice, is dicey. I want to hear and see everything about this team as much as the next fan but I think there can be too much of a good thing. Some fans need to be protected from themselves.

• Plus1 7
2 hours ago, NUinID said:

It was a tough position to be in as a media member when BP was here. He was well known for calling reporters directly (or sicking support staff on them) for things written or said in their coverage. It was a regular fight he chose to pick - sometimes it was warranted and other times it was petty nonsense. Reporter's have a professional responsibility to be fair in what they write, so, I don't want to excuse some of what was written and said at the time. The shoddy relationship between the media and BP was a very two-sided affair.

• Plus1 1

Funny, the 247 guys actually touched on this in a chat yesterday. 

Basically all three of them were fine with it, because if reporters do their job they will still be provided/able to provide all the info necessary. It will take more work/better questions, but that's the job. They touched on how it could stop headlines that shouldn't be headlines due to a reporter seeing something happen in a 30 min session and running with it. 

• Plus1 5
32 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It was a tough position to be in as a media member when BP was here. He was well known for calling reporters directly (or sicking support staff on them) for things written or said in their coverage. It was a regular fight he chose to pick - sometimes it was warranted and other times it was petty nonsense. Reporter's have a professional responsibility to be fair in what they write, so, I don't want to excuse some of what was written and said at the time. The shoddy relationship between the media and BP was a very two-sided affair.

I agree that it was 2 sided, but one or the other side should have taken a high road.  Dirk didn't do that.  As I said I think he is very capable of writing some good stuff, but I also think he can be pretty petty.  BP is also petty and vindictive, but he wasn't going to take the high road.  

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Enhance said:

But, most importantly, I think Frost said it best: players at this level shouldn't be afraid to fail. Dozens of media members camping out on the practice field, sending tweets about good plays and bad plays in practice, is dicey. I want to hear and see everything about this team as much as the next fan but I think there can be too much of a good thing. Some fans need to be protected from themselves.

/thread