With limited media coverage of practice...

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Dirk the jerk.

The football program needs all the positive publicity and promo it can get (positive, not pure propaganda).  Recruiting and recruiting and more recruiting.  Any positive coverage on a national level is desperately needed.   

It’s not the local media’s job to be the positive voice for the program. You do understand that they aren’t affiliated with the NU athletic program right?

• Plus1 4

I like reading and listening to their reports and wish they had more they could report. 

It isnt like like they are installing secret special plays in the spring. Give em a couple practices to watch so I can listen to Sam an co. Tell me who will be a better running back next fall. 

It it doesn’t really matter...it just makes my morning coffee and drive to work a little more entertaining. 

57 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s not the local media’s job to be the positive voice for the program. You do understand that they aren’t affiliated with the NU athletic program right?

I don't have a problem with having an honest, balanced discussion about issues.

I don't think there's any need to go out of their way to disparage players or coaches.

• Plus1 2

not entirely relevant to this topic, but I just thought this tweet was on the same lines of “poor me” as the others posted earlier. Sam, you cover sports. I understand it’s your job, but at the end of the day I hight doubt you’re covering something so earth shattering that you have “off the record” conversations all the time. Get a grip, man. 

The only time that I’d argue an off the record conversation is sports is meaningful, or that you’d get annoyed if it was off the record, is if it’s related to some sort of scandal or cover up (Baylor, Michigan State, etc.). Other than that, I don’t really see how people could be missing out on off the record conversations. Highly doubt it’s “worse” than other areas in life. 

• Plus1 5

21 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/980067644165550080?s=20

not entirely relevant to this topic, but I just thought this tweet was on the same lines of “poor me” as the others posted earlier. Sam, you cover sports. I understand it’s your job, but at the end of the day I hight doubt you’re covering something so earth shattering that you have “off the record” conversations all the time. Get a grip, man. 

The only time that I’d argue an off the record conversation is sports is meaningful, or that you’d get annoyed if it was off the record, is if it’s related to some sort of scandal or cover up (Baylor, Michigan State, etc.). Other than that, I don’t really see how people could be missing out on off the record conversations. Highly doubt it’s “worse” than other areas in life. 

That whole thread is a massive circle jerk of "Woe is me" by writers at the OWH. 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Dirk has very little positive to say about anything Husker really.   For every one positive, he has a dozen negs.   Just his personality I'd guess.   

And, no it's not really their 'job' to be the positive voice for the program but it's not their 'job' to bash undermine and be critical either.   I am not suggesting the local media is the only voice.  The Department should have plenty of PR people to be putting forth some positive news.   Don't know what the Dept spends on promotional items and advertisements but it may not be enough.   There was a time when the football program got more coverage than it may have wanted and got paid for it in many ways.  Not any more.  NU football has an image problem nationally and while winning is the ideal way to build up the image and make the brand 'national' again, it will take more than that as we need more national recognition than ever to regain our status amongst the elites.   Marketing, marketing, marketing which will enable better recruiting and help the revenue picture.   

Give the local media something to write about and some video, etc.  Help them to promote.   Ticket demand, apparel sales, etc. all go hand in hand.   NU fans have been extremely patient (about 17 years worth).

11 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

No kidding!

Anything "off the record" is just going to mean that the person they are talking to is ripping on a boss or a player...guess what...that is off the record.

• Plus1 1

On 3/31/2018 at 9:19 AM, HuskerNBigD said:

Having worked in both news and sports journalism, I can tell you Sam’s assertion is absolutely ludicrous.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

What's more important?

The OWH selling more subscriptions by giving anyone and everyone the inside scoop of practices and of the program?

Or the Football team keeping their product under wraps until September 1st?

Easy choice.

Exactly. The Media will get to see a ton at the Spring Game, just like the rest of us.

• Plus1 2
On 3/31/2018 at 11:49 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Dirk has very little positive to say about anything Husker really.   For every one positive, he has a dozen negs.   Just his personality I'd guess.   

And, no it's not really their 'job' to be the positive voice for the program but it's not their 'job' to bash undermine and be critical either.   I am not suggesting the local media is the only voice.  The Department should have plenty of PR people to be putting forth some positive news.   Don't know what the Dept spends on promotional items and advertisements but it may not be enough.   There was a time when the football program got more coverage than it may have wanted and got paid for it in many ways.  Not any more.  NU football has an image problem nationally and while winning is the ideal way to build up the image and make the brand 'national' again, it will take more than that as we need more national recognition than ever to regain our status amongst the elites.   Marketing, marketing, marketing which will enable better recruiting and help the revenue picture.   

Give the local media something to write about and some video, etc.  Help them to promote.   Ticket demand, apparel sales, etc. all go hand in hand.   NU fans have been extremely patient (about 17 years worth).

You must've missed Dirk's 8 part massive, massive deep dive into Husker basketball under Danny Nee.  Have to think he wouldn't of put forth that effort if he didn't love the university a little bit.

I do disagree with your point about the media as the media's job absolutely is to be critical and hold people accountable.  I do agree that the tone of those conversations leaves something to be desired at times.

• Plus1 1