With limited media coverage of practice...

On 3/31/2018 at 11:49 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Dirk has very little positive to say about anything Husker really.   For every one positive, he has a dozen negs.   Just his personality I'd guess.   

And, no it's not really their 'job' to be the positive voice for the program but it's not their 'job' to bash undermine and be critical either.   I am not suggesting the local media is the only voice.  The Department should have plenty of PR people to be putting forth some positive news.   Don't know what the Dept spends on promotional items and advertisements but it may not be enough.   There was a time when the football program got more coverage than it may have wanted and got paid for it in many ways.  Not any more.  NU football has an image problem nationally and while winning is the ideal way to build up the image and make the brand 'national' again, it will take more than that as we need more national recognition than ever to regain our status amongst the elites.   Marketing, marketing, marketing which will enable better recruiting and help the revenue picture.   

Give the local media something to write about and some video, etc.  Help them to promote.   Ticket demand, apparel sales, etc. all go hand in hand.   NU fans have been extremely patient (about 17 years worth).

The university has pissed away opportunities to promote themselves positively in recent years, particularly the athletic department. I'm personally familiar with one such relationship they couldn't effectively negotiate because they wanted to provide less of their product for more money. They then tried to come crawling back months later to see if some resolution could be found and the other part declined to entertain them. This was pre-Moos.

Ultimately, Dirk is a reporter. It's not his job to shed the university in a positive light or be overly negative. IMO, I think he does sometimes go a bit too far but there's an audience for what he writes, and then there are other times he does incredible work.

• Plus1 3

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, Saunders said:

Also... Sam has been going from one of my favorites (when he wasn't at the OWH), to less liked. He was a "toxic culture" excuse maker for Riley's tenure, and even up until late last season, was trying to pin things on the previous staff.

Hey Sam, maybe, just maybe it wasn't "sabotage" against the program. Maybe, the fact that most everyone didn't like Shawn "Bob Diaco's the greatest coach at the school" Eichorst, was because he shouldn't have been here, and they were trying to save the program from being run further into the ground.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Geez what a clown, still trying to stick-up for a trainwreck of regime just because they gave him full access to their stupidity. Eichorst wasn't submarined, he was the one doing damage, in the case of both Bo and Riley.

• Plus1 1

It makes for good radio, tweets and message board posts...Sam knows what he is doing with that stuff.  Just like his little hints of the hotel basement fight that everyone saw but that not one single person has a picture of (guess everyone forgot their phones)

For most people, soap operas are more entertaining than a documentary.  That is why these guys tweet/talk/write in code.  It is a lot more fun to say "Sabotage" when asking a question instead of "do you think some of the people that work for you think you are an ass and that you are clueless?"

• Plus1 2

This is more about getting fresh visual content than anything else for the local media folks. Most of them have been using old imagery, including things from last spring or games in the fall, because they haven't had a chance to even get photos of players stretching. It may seem trivial but providing new imagery is an important part of maintaining and growing an audience. It's also nice to be able to talk about someone like Tyjon Lindsey and have a stockpile of relatively recent imagery.

I also don't think Scott Frost is going to toy with them. It's just going to be warm up time more than likely. Nothing of substance.

• Plus1 1

I think Husker fans and media have been so deprived of a “total package” coach that we had to make up reasons to feel a part of the program while an untrusted outsider ran it. I truly believe most Husker fans are so content with Frost as the HC that we don’t care about the fluff of “access” like we did when we questioned every other coach. Or am I just speaking for myself?

Plus, I don’t trust any of these reporters opinionated analysis more than I trust my own eyes - they don’t know the Xs and Os or fundamentals to breakdown the “why” of a practice, a play, drill, to justify why I’d care to read their spring reporting.

edit to add: I don’t know the breakdowns either, that’s why I like listening to Foreman, Benning, Semm, and others of the same cloth.

Edited by Savage Husker
  • Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

I truly believe most Husker fans are so content with Frost as the HC that we don’t care about the fluff of “access” like we did when we questioned every other coach. Or am I just speaking for myself?

I think the idea of feeling part of something, or the idea you have some bit of information another fan may not is still alluring to a lot of people. I don't know that the desire for access has died down. Certainly the unprecedented demand for the spring game suggests people are anxious to see what this is all about.

I do agree though that there is a much, much bigger level of trust with Frost and therefore his staff. In some ways, it feels like he's the one that was here last year and the players are the new ones. These new coaches are so down to earth, a few videos and you feel like you've known them forever.

• Plus1 2