With limited media coverage of practice...

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think the idea of feeling part of something, or the idea you have some bit of information another fan may not is still alluring to a lot of people. I don't know that the desire for access has died down. Certainly the unprecedented demand for the spring game suggests people are anxious to see what this is all about.

I agree, and I don’t mean to imply that I don’t share some of those feelings, but not in the sense that I’m missing something because the reporters don’t get to watch practice.

40 minutes ago, brophog said:

I find it interesting that, after some sense of dissent that they weren't allowed in practice, so many places threw the content behind paywalls this morning.

Just to be up front, this isn't really directed at you, so I mean no offense.

I don't understand why people care so much about this kind of stuff. If you want local news and information then you should pay for it. Something existing on the internet doesn't mean it should be free, particularly at the local level.

:rant

• Plus1 1

I understand limited media access but of course I'd love to see more. That being said, I completely trust that Frost and the staff are doing it more as a "just hang on a bit while we get everything into shape behind the curtain, you're gonna love it when we're done, just be patient" rather than the (sometimes) Bo style of "MEDIA IS EVIL AND FANS WILL TAKE WHAT WE GIVE THEM AND LIKE IT" vibe.

I'm really hopeful that we'll be getting more Rise & Conquer style videos though, I think those are an incredible gift to fans and will definitely make us feel like a part of the process regardless of whether we see media reports after each practice. Since the video yesterday said "Episode I" I assume there will be plenty of content for us to obsess over haha.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Just to be up front, this isn't really directed at you, so I mean no offense.

I don't understand why people care so much about this kind of stuff. If you want local news and information then you should pay for it. Something existing on the internet doesn't mean it should be free, particularly at the local level.

:rant

I wish they would go back to pop-ups...like in the good old days of the internet!

• Plus1 4

24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Just like having a practice doesn't mean these content resellers are entitled to it.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, brophog said:

Just like having a practice doesn't mean these content resellers are entitled to it.

The local sports media's job is to cover the popular sports team of a public entity with thousands of interested stakeholders. Unless we're all willing to stand fast and admit we never complain about hurdles related to our own jobs then we probably shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

• Plus1 1

Thus far, from his time at UFC and his limited time here, Frost and Co are very measured.  They have a blue print for success and it’s being followed.  There might be some tweaks, but the foundation is in place.  He is methodical and practical in his approach.  He, more than and current player, coach or fan knows the scrutiny he, the staff and team are under.  I have no issue at all with him controlling the dialogue and release of info.  In the long run, I think we see a more polished product and will have a much more realistic expectation of the season and players in general.  IMHO, Frost probably sees guys who were/are mentally beat and or broken from last year.  “Protect” them from any negative or positive press.  Focus on the process, progress and the next play.....

• Plus1 5
13 hours ago, Enhance said:

The local sports media's job is to cover the popular sports team of a public entity with thousands of interested stakeholders. Unless we're all willing to stand fast and admit we never complain about hurdles related to our own jobs then we probably shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

I don’t think anyone would deny complaining about their job, but less percentage of people go to social media to rant over it because just like no one cares about anyone else’s fantasy team or bracket, no one else cares about the nuances of someone else’s job.

The origination of the topic comes from a tweet about people speaking on/off the record, she’s a reporter, why not ask the sources why they insist on being off the record instead complaining to twitter that your sources suck. 

• Plus1 4
6 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I don’t think anyone would deny complaining about their job, but less percentage of people go to social media to rant over it because just like no one cares about anyone else’s fantasy team or bracket, no one else cares about the nuances of someone else’s job.

The origination of the topic comes from a tweet about people speaking on/off the record, she’s a reporter, why not ask the sources why they insist on being off the record instead complaining to twitter that your sources suck. 

Their Twitter mentions would disagree with the bolded.

For the record, I think any local media member complaining about a lack of access is pretty off base, but it's a minority. People are turning this into something it isn't. In fact, after a quick glance through this thread, I only see tweets from one local reporter about the lack of access. The majority of the content in this thread is people posturing about why the lack of access is a good thing.

• Plus1 1