With limited media coverage of practice...

10 hours ago, lo country said:

Thus far, from his time at UFC and his limited time here, Frost and Co are very measured.  They have a blue print for success and it’s being followed.  There might be some tweaks, but the foundation is in place.  He is methodical and practical in his approach.  He, more than and current player, coach or fan knows the scrutiny he, the staff and team are under.  I have no issue at all with him controlling the dialogue and release of info.  In the long run, I think we see a more polished product and will have a much more realistic expectation of the season and players in general.  IMHO, Frost probably sees guys who were/are mentally beat and or broken from last year.  “Protect” them from any negative or positive press.  Focus on the process, progress and the next play.....

Completely agree.

I think the players, after last year, were mentally very strung out and confused on what to do.  The new staff comes in and have proven they can be successful and have a methodical way of how they want to turn it around.  They know some players are going to catch on quicker than others.  They don't need media going to the first or second practice of the spring then writing about so and so player not doing well in practice.

I am all for how the coaches are doing this and believe Frost's attitude about how to run the program is the right way.

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Their Twitter mentions would disagree with the bolded.

For the record, I think any local media member complaining about a lack of access is pretty off base, but it's a minority. People are turning this into something it isn't. In fact, after a quick glance through this thread, I only see tweets from one local reporter about the lack of access. The majority of the content in this thread is people posturing about why the lack of access is a good thing.

I guess we see it differently, most of the comments back at Sam prove my argument to be a week stale.

Getting new photographs, as you mentioned earlier, is necessary and a great thing. So yes, access for that purpose is needed because it’s cringeworthy - at times - seeing recruits or media use photos that show the previous coaching staffs. 

What Sam appears to be arguing for is the NFL beat writer access, which is not going to happen and I especially wouldn’t trust anyone at the OWH to cover that. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I guess we see it differently, most of the comments back at Sam prove my argument to be a week stale.

Getting new photographs, as you mentioned earlier, is necessary and a great thing. So yes, access for that purpose is needed because it’s cringeworthy - at times - seeing recruits or media use photos that show the previous coaching staffs. 

What Sam appears to be arguing for is the NFL beat writer access, which is not going to happen and I especially wouldn’t trust anyone at the OWH to cover that. 

I don't think we're too far off from one another - it's just a matter of perspective. I think yes, for the most part, people don't care about the nuances of most people's job, but that's simply not the case for journalists or media personalities. It wasn't the case when I was one. It's a public profession. People are quick to criticize them for things they write/say but people are also often interested in the behind the scenes work of their job. Personally, I'm fascinated in those kind of anecdotes (Sam's complaints about access notwithstanding).

Overall, this still feels like people making a mountain out of a mole hill. If most or even a large portion of the local media was complaining about access that'd be one thing but it's just not the case from what I can see.

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think we're too far off from one another - it's just a matter of perspective. I think yes, for the most part, people don't care about the nuances of most people's job, but that's simply not the case for journalists or media personalities. It wasn't the case when I was one. It's a public profession. People are quick to criticize them for things they write/say but people are also often interested in the behind the scenes work of their job. Personally, I'm fascinated in those kind of anecdotes (Sam's complaints about access notwithstanding).

Overall, this still feels like people making a mountain out of a mole hill. If most or even a large portion of the local media was complaining about access that'd be one thing but it's just not the case from what I can see.

I don't think they will complain about it (right now) I think they know that is the kiss of death because of the Frost love fest.  

If I am a sports writer in Nebraska right now...and Frost takes a dump on my desk...I write about how it warmed up my office and I am sure to mention how fast he dumped because he does everything fast.

I think it will be very small subtle digs, very small, by certain guys.  Just wait until the first loss when a guy has a bad game and you get something like "We have to believe the coaches when they say that John Cocktolstoy is the best man for the job..."

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I think it will be very small subtle digs, very small, by certain guys.  Just wait until the first loss when a guy has a bad game and you get something like "We have to believe the coaches when they say that John Cocktolstoy is the best man for the job..."

I hope it doesn't come to that because we saw the opposite situation last year - too much access, too many hot takes, too much analysis and too much information that created warped viewpoints of how good/bad certain players were and how good/bad the team was going to be.

I'm even raising my eyebrows after a few things I saw written yesterday following the media session. I read one write up talking about who was on the 'first unit offensive line.' Frost said in the post practice media session that they shouldn't take anything away from what groups guys were with or what reps they got and then something like that was written.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I hope it doesn't come to that because we saw the opposite situation last year - too much access, too many hot takes, too much analysis and too much information that created warped viewpoints of how good/bad certain players were and how good/bad the team was going to be.

I'm even raising my eyebrows after a few things I saw written yesterday following the media session. I read one write up talking about who was on the 'first unit offensive line.' Frost said in the post practice media session that they shouldn't take anything away from what groups guys were with or what reps they got and then something like that was written.

Yeah I know what you mean.  I totally agree too and that is why I think there will be some salt-writing.  But with that said I am wrong a lot...like more than most people X 2...so who knows.

I think the spring game write ups will draw a bit of a line in the sand of which writers will take which tone to start the season.  

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Completely agree.

I think the players, after last year, were mentally very strung out and confused on what to do.  The new staff comes in and have proven they can be successful and have a methodical way of how they want to turn it around.  They know some players are going to catch on quicker than others.  They don't need media going to the first or second practice of the spring then writing about so and so player not doing well in practice.

I am all for how the coaches are doing this and believe Frost's attitude about how to run the program is the right way.

limit any distractions and let this team develop........

• Plus1 1

Heard Sip the other day, he said "Remember last year, we go to watch 6 practices in the spring and about 6 practices in the fall and no one came away saying that they think the team will be under .500...so I don't know how much it helps to watch practice"

Or something close to that...

He went on to say that since they have nothing to compare the team to that it really doesn't give them an idea of how good they might be and that is why he likes when the BTN guys come around because they can compare all the teams they get to watch in practice.  I thought that was a good point.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Heard Sip the other day, he said "Remember last year, we go to watch 6 practices in the spring and about 6 practices in the fall and no one came away saying that they think the team will be under .500...so I don't know how much it helps to watch practice"

He went on to say that since they have nothing to compare the team to that it really doesn't give them an idea of how good they might be and that is why he likes when the BTN guys come around because they can compare all the teams they get to watch in practice.  I thought that was a good point.

Can't wait to hear Gerry D's blind assessment.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

That’s a pretty good way of looking at things corn sipp. Granted I don’t trust their knowledge, but it does make sense and is a sort of valid way of looking at it as long as your can trust who is saying it about each team.