Favorite new assistant coach

Favorite Coach  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

They all have that attitude, that's why it's so hard to pick.

I am really interested in what Fisher is able to do with the defensive backs. It's one of the positions you have to compromise most in recruiting, so he will have much better stock to work with here than UCF. 

What do you mean by the bolded?

2 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

What do you mean by the bolded?

The ideal requirements of a defensive back are a compromise within themselves due to the physics of a human body. You need mass and strength to be physical, re-route players, tackle, etcetera, but mass comes at the cost of speed and stamina. You need length to make plays on the ball or jam receivers, but length comes at the cost at the cost of quickness. 

That second part is why receivers can often be taller than defensive backs. The problem with humans playing defensive back is we are mostly proportional: we can't easily get tall frames and long arms without having long legs and slow turning hips. For a receiver, who already knows what route he's going to run, some of that quickness can be more easily given up for leverage. By the same token, traditionally safeties had fewer coverage responsibilities than corners, so they could afford to be bigger. In today's game, with so many 4 or 5 receiver sets, the modern safety doesn't have that luxury. 

The problem for a school like UCF is they already have to compromise on the attributes of an athlete; speed without size, for instance. Nebraska can potentially land the best possible athlete at those positions. We've already seen in this first class an emphasis on taller DBs. With the aggressive, ball hawking style this staff prefers, that makes a lot of sense.

8 minutes ago, brophog said:

The ideal requirements of a defensive back are a compromise within themselves due to the physics of a human body. You need mass and strength to be physical, re-route players, tackle, etcetera, but mass comes at the cost of speed and stamina. You need length to make plays on the ball or jam receivers, but length comes at the cost at the cost of quickness. 

That second part is why receivers can often be taller than defensive backs. The problem with humans playing defensive back is we are mostly proportional: we can't easily get tall frames and long arms without having long legs and slow turning hips. For a receiver, who already knows what route he's going to run, some of that quickness can be more easily given up for leverage. By the same token, traditionally safeties had fewer coverage responsibilities than corners, so they could afford to be bigger. In today's game, with so many 4 or 5 receiver sets, the modern safety doesn't have that luxury. 

The problem for a school like UCF is they already have to compromise on the attributes of an athlete; speed without size, for instance. Nebraska can potentially land the best possible athlete at those positions. We've already seen in this first class an emphasis on taller DBs. With the aggressive, ball hawking style this staff prefers, that makes a lot of sense.

I understand.  I didn't know if you meant compromise physical traits or numbers or what.  That cleared it up.

I agree for the most part, but most positions are generally a compromise of physical attributes.  I think it'd be great to have several 6'7" 325 LB linemen that run 4.5 40's but that's not going to happen.  It'd be great to have some 6'4" 275 LB linebackers that run 4.4 40's and can bench a car, but that's not going to happen.

I suppose CB is probably one of the biggest compromises, but most positions have some give and take.

I voted Verduzco - just because he is crazy.     I like all of the guys.  I also voted for Ruud.   Ruud has been relatively quiet in relationship to others but he is my 'emotional' favorite -  former great player coming back home to make a difference.  I'd like to think the LBs will be greatly improved next year if they play wt the same intensity that he played with.   If we could win games based on 'coach speak' alone - this team will be undefeated next year.  They say the things we've been wanting to hear for years and if they can translate words into action on the field - we'll be doing just fine.  Give me some of this:  :koolaid2:

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I suppose CB is probably one of the biggest compromises, but most positions have some give and take.

To some degree, yes, but not at the same level.

The offensive side is basically excluded, because they have the ball. They decide what happens. Speed is always nice to have, size with speed is even nicer, but it's not a general requirement to have a specific kind of player. Athletes, top athletes, don't matter nearly as much on this side of the ball. You can scheme yourself around issues much easier. A QB is highly recommended, but after that you can better flavor style to personnel.

Defensively, yes, there are more of these compromises amongst all positions. Defensive tackle in particular is another that really stands out.

Verduzco just because I got to see him live at the National Signing Day event (Along with the other coaches).  Just the way he talked he is very analytical but yet very positive and the guy always seems to be happy which I think goes a long way to making a good impression especially with quarterbacks.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Where did they find Verduzco?

He literally looks like the last guy you would expect to be a part of this crew and it's amazing

Coached with Frost at UNI, then when Frost went to Oregon he relied a lot on what Mario coached, then he hired him at UCF.

At least I’m pretty sure Mario never came with to oregon.

• 2 weeks later...